Thread: Strut lube?

RC Enthusiast

Strut lube?

Hi folks. What should the drive strut bushings be lubed with? My Spartan only came with a tube of red marine grease for the flex shaft. Only info I've been able to find is a guy on youtube lubing it with 30 weight oil but I seem to recall the red grease oozing out of the hole on the strut when I received it fresh from the factory. Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    That grease that comes with your Spartan is all i have used for the flexi-shaft and the strut bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, just use the same grease you use on the flex portion of the shaft. Pick up some grim racer grease for when you run out of what was supplied.

Oil won't quite cut it, washes off to easily, so go with grease and you are good to go.

If you think about it, when you re-insert the freshly greased flex shaft you are getting grease on the bushings anyway, so just apply a thin coat the the stub shaft as part of the application.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    i use a lube called 2-4-c with teflon its a marine grease made by mercury marine for real boat motors works better than anything ive ever used on a rc boat
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Champion
    I have been using this product for several years and it comes with a nice gun with small tip for applying the grease to the flex shaft or where needed.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Don't forget you do have to oil the bearings in the motor.

RC Qualifier
    correct, the motor does require oil every few runs or so. I emailed castle about this since I saw something to the contrary on a different forum.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks folks. A lot of very helpful info. I have a tube of this stuff called "Super Lube." It is a clear synthetic grease with PTFE. Almost looks like thinner dielectric grease. Also says it's "impervious to salt water." I use it to lube my bicycle bearings. Anyone try this product? I may give it a go and see what happens. Also, I've been lubing the motor bearings with 3-in-1 oil. Sound good? I'm not sure how well it penetrates into the motor bearings because I put a drop on the end shafts and it just sits there and doesn't seem to absorb at all even after I rotate the motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jetnfast View Post
    correct, the motor does require oil every few runs or so. I emailed castle about this since I saw something to the contrary on a different forum.
    When the stock motor failed and Castle replaced the motor I asked the tech support person at Castle about oiling the bearings as was stated in the Spartan owners manual and he said the bearings are sealed. Spinning the rpms that they do I can not believe any bearing would last unless they were sealed.

RC Qualifier
    Agreed, I have been using a 3 in 1 oil about every 5-10 runs on the motor just in case. If they are sealed great, but some extra lubrication wont hurt.