Thread: GPS Speeds :(

RC Enthusiast

GPS Speeds :(

......Hey Ya'll, not quiet the numbers I was looking for. I just used an Android app GPS on my phone to check the speeds of the ol girl.
    My Spartan is bone stock (have all the cooling mods) I used Traxxas 2 cell 25c 5800mah lipos and got 38.9 mph, the stock Traxxas 8.4v 3000mah got 28.8 mph. Water conditions were a very slight ripple, wind maybe 8 knots, at the stern one way and head wind the other direction.
    I have 4 of the 8v traxxas batts, is there anyway to hook all 4 up at once, or would it even be worth it? I can never remember if the stock wireing is pararlal or series.
    Also the amps on ESC's what excatlly is is the amp rating of ESC's do??
    Let me what you all getting for speeds.

RC Champion
    How accurate is your GPS app?
    On 2s, high 30's to low 40's with the boat running the stock plastic prop is about right on the money. A metal prop will boost speeds to about 45 mph.

The stock wiring is series, 2s + 2s will give you 4s. And the stock ESC is not rated above 6s.

The amp rating on the speed control is the amount of current that the ESC can handle.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    You need the 6s set up to get above 50!

RC Enthusiast
    Im not sure how accurate the GPS was, Hopfully good.
    And yes I need a set of my own 3cells....

RC Qualifier
    sounds about right for a 4s run...

RC Enthusiast
    Got the 3 cells at the house now... Will post speeds later tonight.

RC Enthusiast
    Can different LIPO batteries be mixed? IE: Running at 3s and 2s to make a 5s setup? And if so, do they have to be the same AMAH rating?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MCinab View Post
    Can different LIPO batteries be mixed? IE: Running at 3s and 2s to make a 5s setup? And if so, do they have to be the same AMAH rating?
    Yes you can mix the batteries as long as they are of the same mah rating and preferably the same manufacture, 3s @ 5000 mah and 2s @ 5000 mah will give you 5s @ 5000 mah.

And put the 3s on the port side (left).
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Ugh, my 2cells are 5800, and my 3 cells are 5000.. should I not pair them up?

RC Champion
    I personally would not mix them as they will not discharge equally. If you were using them in something that did not have as big a current draw as a fast boat you could get away with it. And I should also mention that the batteries should be of the same discharge rating. Example- 2s @ 5000 mah @ 40c plus 3s @ 5000 mah @ 40c.......

That is main reason 90% of my lipo batteries are of the same mah and C rating, I can mix and match as needed, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, and 6s.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Orca, good to know.

I've been hearing that a 6s setup has been giving a lot of people issues with over-heating etc. Do you know anything about 5s? I want my boat to go fast, don't get me wrong, but I will not be running speed tests for a long time. Im just looking for a setup that will not expose myself to having to replace parts before I even get good use out of them. Im hoping I can get this out of a 5s setup.

RC Enthusiast
    Well schucks.... You have any traxxas 2 or 3 cells you want to trade???

RC Competitor
    Hi MCinab iv tryed my spartan on 6s but it keeps overheating cant even get a full speed run in before it powers down i have put extra cooling lines in but still the same stick with 4s not tryed 5s but spoke too traxxas and 5s should be ok if you want 6s buy yourself a *********/******* 180amp esc off ebay runs on 6s no problems.