RC Racer

lcg chassis RCE or SSC?

I'm gonna order one of these tomorrow and I'm tore between the two. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not into bashing strictly racing. I need a better handling truck to compete with the other brands. The RCE looks really good, but the ssc looks pretty sweet too.

RC Enthusiast
    Either one of them will make a big difference in the handling of your truck. I went with the SSC just because..... LOL
    The SSC does come with step by step instructions, the RCE comes with a drawing with screw size and locations.

RC poster
    I just got the SSC..... Love it. Was also torn between the two.
    RCSOUP has an awesome step by step w pics for both.
    Went w the SSC because 1) racing outside and felt alum was better for me (I am not real good and am hard on the truck), 2)it was a little cheaper, and 3) its reviewed as a bit easier to work on. I don't think you can go wrong either way, and in the fall i may give the TRCE a try for the indoor season.

RC Competitor
    I was torn also, so, I got one of each, The RCE was a little time consuming for me because I didn't get the drawings for assembly, the SSC was a breeze to assemble and is easier to wrench on, I have the SSC as an on road and the RCE as the off road. Which ever you pick, it will be money worth spent. One other thing, on the SSC, the battery blocks were wearing into the batteries, I use Gen Ace and Traxxas lipo.s, so I shrinked wrapped them and that fixed the issue.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Here is another option, I have a 2wd lcg from this guy and it is awesome:

http://chuckworksrc.com/Slice_4X.php
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

thats really cool! are they durable? like good for bashing or just stick to the stock?

RC Racer
    I went with the ssc... It's ordered. How did you guys go about mounting the esc and receiver? It says the teflon coating is so slick that foam tape will not stick. Not sure if I should cut some counter sinks in the bottom of the chassis to run screws up or what? Also I ordered an Associated antenna mounting post. It looked like it would work well and I didn't know if the kit came with anything for it.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have the stock esc? If so there are mounting holes already in the chassis for it. If you have a different esc use some servo tape. It will still stick. I have a mamba max pro and I am using the snappyrc mount.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    It has threaded holes to suit stock esc, if your running stock it'll screw straight on, if not stock just get a mounting plate to screw into these and stick to that - I think you've made a good choice on the SSC version, that's the one I'd go for - I've not got either so my opinion has no factual status - its just an opinion - I think it will last longer. Love the Mag & CF of the TRCE but I've seen too many wrecked CF chassis to have much confidence these will hold up if used for anything other than pure racing (for which I'm sure it will be very good)

The "Slice" chassis above is very competitively priced but THB looks a bit "home made" - I know it's vain but I do like my truck to look good - it also seems to keep the sump guards of the stock - to me this I a pointless additional weight if you are going LCG - I'll be saving for the SSC one because, although I don't race, I "flat bash" a lot and rollovers are a problem - I think the SSC will hold up well to bashing (and people who've got them say they do too) - enjoy it, both are good by all accounts. I've not been able to find any reviews of how the slice performs but rc soup are in the process of doing a side by side Shootout - the results will be interesting.

Nice to see the slash 4x4 becoming (very) competitive again ;0)
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Champion

I've tried all three starting with the trce then the slice 4x in the other slash. The 4x is junk and you get what you pay for. The trce is pretty and works but as you can see in my sig I've switched both slashes to SSC. The trce's screws are stainless steel which strips pretty easily. I've also had 4 separate screw holes get completely stripped out with the magnesium metal they use. Also there are stress fractures on both bulkheads. It's a real pain to get the servo out as well. I highly recommend the ssc chassis which comes with hardened steel hardware. The kit Is a breeze to work on at the track. If you get it make sure you use red loctite as the directions tell you to do so.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    Oh lol didnt see your decision. Congrats on the purchase! You won't regret it!

RC Champion

There are holes on the top brace that you can use to mount the electronics box.

RC Racer
    I have the Mamba Max Pro and the snappy mounting kit also. I'm hoping I can use it all on the new chassis. I hope I don't have to put the receiver on the top plate though. I'd like to keep everything low. I can't wait to get it in the mail. I hope they are fast at shipping! lol

RC Champion
    well you don't have to, as my picture indicates it fits fine with a MMP and 3800 on the bottom. I put it up top because the MM and 2200 take up all the space below.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't use the receiver box for my SSC slash because unless your running the stock electronics nothing is waterproof anyway so why add the oversized box. As for mounting the receiver use the top plate it's where the design puts it and an rx weighs virtually nothing, I just used Velcro to mount mine and never had a problem. I have since modified my motor to a Tekin sc4x and rx8 since this pic

RC Champion
    cause I don't want excessive wires running all over the place. all neat:

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    I've tried all three starting with the trce then the slice 4x in the other slash. The 4x is junk and you get what you pay for. The trce is pretty and works but as you can see in my sig I've switched both slashes to SSC. The trce's screws are stainless steel which strips pretty easily. I've also had 4 separate screw holes get completely stripped out with the magnesium metal they use. Also there are stress fractures on both bulkheads. It's a real pain to get the servo out as well. I highly recommend the ssc chassis which comes with hardened steel hardware. The kit Is a breeze to work on at the track. If you get it make sure you use red loctite as the directions tell you to do so.

You did not explain why the 4x was junk...
    Any pics???

RC Champion
    It was junk because I can hold it in my hands and twist it and you could see it twisting. It felt and looked cheap. It may not have been as unsatisfactory had I not been building mine with the TRCE chassis at the time. A member on here jay janak experienced some other problems with it and those can be found with a search. My wife only ran it one time at the track before I upgraded it to the SSC chassis. I also had purchased the slice for the 2wd slash and I couldn't get the transmission mount straight without doing some modifications to it. I did away with that one too and put the STRC lcg kit on it with much better results.

as you can see in this pic, the brace for the front bulkhead has a significant gap that when tightened down would bind the steering bell crank. I lost one servo with this.

RC Racer
    I got another question???? haha I want to shorten the wires going from the motor to the speed control on my new mamba max pro sct kit from castle. What should I use to solder the wires back together? Are there like banana plugs that push into the esc? I know this seems elementary, but I just want to do it the proper way.

I am glad to hear your gripes about it. I had nothing but great results with the 2wd, but did have "fit issues" that I corrected. I love that chassis, but will be wary before I rebuild my 4x4 with one.

There is a lot of flex with the 2x4, so I modded up some braces:

But the rear end, already loose with the mid motor design(but tunable) got ridiculous. Took the braces back off, and it is simply awesome. I can turn under every other race truck on the track, with control. I think the flex was designed into the 2wd a-3 chassis. Maybe the 4x was a greedy afterthought?
    Last edited by rag6; 06-12-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: uhhh

RC poster
    I'm deciding which shocks to use..... I've run the stock big bores and powerstrokes. Both are ok inside, but outdoor seems like im getting a lot of bottoming out / bounce back. Thinking Losi, AE, D8s..... ????
    What do you guys like?

RC Champion
    I have Vorza/D8 shocks on both slash 4x4s and my Vorza and like them

RC Champion
    I am glad to hear your gripes about it. I had nothing but great results with the 2wd, but did have "fit issues" that I corrected. I love that chassis, but will be wary before I rebuild my 4x4 with one.

There is a lot of flex with the 2x4, so I modded up some braces:

But the rear end, already loose with the mid motor design(but tunable) got ridiculous. Took the braces back off, and it is simply awesome. I can turn under every other race truck on the track, with control. I think the flex was designed into the 2wd a-3 chassis. Maybe the 4x was a greedy afterthought?
    I really want to try out the Anza chassis next