RC Qualifier

Want to build strong Transmission. what do you recommend?

Well like the title says I want to build a very strong transmission for my slash. Im running the VXL system and 3s lipos. during some bashing I busted something in the trans. took it apart today and its the diff.(big gear thingy in pic, lol) so before I go buy stuff wanted to see what you all recommended for a strong trans. Talking gears, diff, housing.

Thanks

Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Qualifier
    what's your price range?

RC Qualifier
    this seems like a pretty nice one
    http://www.bigsquidrc.com/rcx-2012ne...o-line-racing/

RC Champion
    I'm sorry but I don't see what you broke? Are you saying the internals of the diff are making noise or locked up? Are y ou sure you don't have an external bearing gone bad?

RC Qualifier
    I don't see what's broken either. But as you have no choice for alternative diff internals, your single best course of action is to go to an aluminum gearbox. The plastic case will wear over time, allowing for slop in the gears. Once the gear teeth start making poor contact, parts fail. Also very important to internally shim your diff so that there is less than 1mm of play on any gear. This can often take quite a few shims. I'd reckon 90% of broken gearbox internals comes from poorly assembled/shimmed cases.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Looks like some chunked teeth on the diff gear near the lower left corner of the case.

Alum box will help keep the tolerances under big power. The plastic case can distort a little under big power causing the gears to get in and out of mesh. I broke a diff gear on 2s on carpet with a 4pole 4600, locked slipper. I was surprised, but I guess with so much traction, and no slip...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    yeah the diff insides are shot. i just took the pic for the fun of it. everything spins but truck goes no where. thinking about getting the proline trans once it comes out. but until them see what i should look at doing. so alumium case.

any links to a good one?

price range no problum. well mabie lol
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-19-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Language

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    13$ for a new diff. 25-60+ for alum box. Your still gonna need the diff. So 40-75 to go alum...

HR, Golden Horizons, FLM, REM, Integy, venom(I think?) etc all sell them.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    cool thanks

RC Competitor
    Honestly, you can build the strongest tranny you want but if you've blown up the diff as a result of something as simple as running your slipper locked (or even overpowering it) and landing jumps with the throttle pegged, your problem is going to keep coming back. Something needs to give in the driveline, and with a locked slipper you're either going to chew up diff gears or snap a driveshaft or something.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrchuck View Post
    Honestly, you can build the strongest tranny you want but if you've blown up the diff as a result of something as simple as running your slipper locked (or even overpowering it) and landing jumps with the throttle pegged, your problem is going to keep coming back. Something needs to give in the driveline, and with a locked slipper you're either going to chew up diff gears or snap a driveshaft or something.
    Yup.. The plastic-housing is fine when shimmed correctly. Alloy will not help if you're running the slipper locked or WOT on landings, especially on 3s...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.

The internals are cheap to buy and super easy to fix. Not worth spending close to $100 for a $10 fix.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

The alu transmission housing won't make your transmission any 'tougher' but will lower your motor temps and look way cool. I'd buy all new internals and grease 'em up real good and install. And don't forget those washers on the two gears in the upper part of the transmission.

I have a diff housing each from *** and Swami-RC and they are all metal. The traxxas diffs are metal and plastic so you'd get some extra strength from an all metal diff housing, and they're supposed to be leak-proof so you can pack them with thick oil or grease to have a limited slip transmission.
    I recommend FLM and Golden Horizons for alu trans cases.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    anybody know the weight differences between the aluminum cases and stock?

RC Racer
    There is like a little bit of difference but so little it doesn't even matter.
    Last edited by kennymonsta; 06-18-2012 at 10:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    well thanks for all the replys. Im leaning towards trying out the new proline transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawng88 View Post
    anybody know the weight differences between the aluminum cases and stock?
    I actually weighed the stock and FLM case when I got it years ago. My memory may be a little of on the exact numbers but it was just shy of being double the weight. As I recall the stock case was 66grams the FLM was 128 grams
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    anyone has a tranny laying around??? im trying to rebuild a slash that missing tons of parts
    Last edited by strick; 06-19-2012 at 11:55 PM.