Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    oohhhh shiny lol, i might have to but the car is summer only now pretty much so i might not bother.
    Haha yeah, ok I gotcha man.
    Matthew 7:7

ok so heres another little update.

after removing the tray i got it all measured up and slightly changed the design (still not 100% final). this should hold the battery much more solid as its way thicker then the previous one. or it will be thicker i should say.

but i also noticed that the battery i pulled out was from walmart and it said that i had a little bit of time left to get free replacement. which i might note that i didnt know if they would do or not because the battery was in the car when i bought it and i did not buy it and install it myself. well first they said they had to test it before they could do anything. but walmart doesnt do a 5 minute maxx test like everywhere else. theres takes an hour and a half to tell me my battery is bad which i already knew. well then she proceeded to tell me that usually they wont do battery exchange without the receipt. she said i could talk to customer service up front or a manager to verify that since i didnt have any paperwork. i wasnt going to bother since i never had paperwork because i didnt buy the battery. well the auto parts manager came back and she asked him and he verified and said that they wouldnt do anything without the receipt. so i walk outside and over by the bay door so they could bring me my battery. as he was bringing it over i noticed a couple of things. first being that this one had a strap on it where mine did not. second being that it looked brand new where mine looked far from being up in the wheel well. and the third being that it was side post where my battery was top post.

at this point i was like whatever, i know mines junk if there going to give me a different one that i can make work then i wont complain. so i didnt say a word as he gave it to me, i just carried it to my car put it on the passenger floor board then left. well they had a little test tag on it like what they did for mine. and after some closer looking they gave me a brand new never even used battery. and it was one of there everstart maxx series which is like there top of the line battery there lol. the battery is 1/2" longer than the one i had though so it wont fit in my battery tray (which is broke), but no big deal because i have to remake it. and for being side post instead of top post isnt a big deal either because i wanted to redo my wires anyway. so for $30 or less i can get my proper cables put on then whatever it costs me to get the tray made. which is 1/2" longer then my old one and i think im going to lower it down some as well while im at it.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

ok so today i was on my way home and i spotted a nice entertainment center with a free sign on it. so i stopped and it was actually really nice shape. well the guy came out while me and my mom were looking at it (she happend to be with me) and he helped me move it back by the house so i could come back later when my brother was off work with his truck. i found out then that the guy raced sprint cars though.

well long story short me and my brother went back later on to get it and was talking to the guy for like an hour about everything under the sun. turns out he works in a full machine shop and fabricates as well. so tomorrow im going over to his house and hes gonna look at my old battery box and plans for a new one and hopefully get it all made up for me Smile so we got an entertainment stand for my brother (to big for my room) and i got a new contact for when i need any type of machining or welding done.

oh and if i decide to go that route he does some work with cages as well Smile he said usually hes building cages for vehicles with no interior at all but we could look into it more when im ready. but at the same time since this one already has some visible rust on the outside i dont want to bother caging it. might have to look into a simple cage more for it maybe.
    Drag It!

ok update time since i thought i already did part of this lol. here is where the battery mounts to on the car

little cover over the access panel

without the cover

some other parts i picked up from someone scrapping out a neon. only paid $10 for these parts. only thing i need is the trunk lid and the wheel well covers lol

old battery box pulled out. you can see where it broke because the back was not one solid piece. it was welded right there

it was not twisted that bad. that happend when i was trying to get the battery off the tray. it was so thin it just bent it all...............

and the lack of side bracing on the thin metal that was broken as well probably explains why my battery moved around like it did.......

Drag It!

its still not a 100% done. a few little mods need to be made to it for things we forgot and or did not take into consideration. the triangle cutout needs to be made on the side as well to clear the bracing, it was made for the 7" wide stock size battery not this new 6 1/2" wide battery so the clamp part needs to be extended or remade completely to hold the battery in place, and last but not least we forgot to measure the part of the battery to hold its handle so i will have to carefully cut it off with a dremel. which is no big deal. the stock battery is not as long so i think it will fit. but heres the pics i took last night for everyone. it will be painted to before i put it on.

you can see where the handle bracing is catching here

Drag It!

so a few people on other forums may be intrested in this battery box i designed for my neon lol. i asked how much they felt they were worth and one person said he would pay $50 if it was painted and everything and another guy asked about $40 for bare metal no paint.

the guy only charged me $20 to build mine and i told them that the price would be up to the builder but would not include shipping. so im thinking maybe $50 for painted one, and $45 for bare metal. what you guys think? plus whatever shipping is to there location
    Drag It!

ok, more updates on the new battery box!

dont mind the scuffs. that from me sliding the battery out

mounts up with some 1/2" bolts to the car. the plate to go on the other side with nuts welded on it is not made yet

reliefs for the subframe bracing........... check

battery hold down.......... check

fitment

and now the bad.............

neither one of us thought about the bolt heads sticking into the battery........ maybe this was why my other one failed? not sure but because of this the battery box need some reworking now..........

back to the measuring and the drawing i guess

the lip to catch the battery doesnt even work because of the bolts sticking out.......... sigh..........

so with the good the bad and the ugly clear we now know what needs to be changed. im going to remeasure how the tray sits at current heith with bumper on. if theres enough room i will drop it down further so the bolts would just be above the battery. if not enough room then only other real option to keep the bolts from sticking out is to add material to the inside so that the bolts are then inset compared to the rest of the backing. also plan to get some button head bolts to keep it from sticking out so much. then we plan to use more of a racing inspired battery tray the uses angle iron over the top corner of the battery with all thread on both sides going to the bottom back of the battery to wedge the battery in much better. and i have an idea of how to make this adjustable to fit a few different sizes of batteries.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    The kind of mess ups I do man, they stink.

yeah luckily i didnt have to pay for materials as it was all just out of the scrap bin from his work. the money i paid was for the labor. and im thinking since we might start making these to start selling that mine is gonna get remade for free. after the measuring i just went outside to do mine should be of the same spec as everyone elses i believe. i think it will fit in same dimension specs overall that the tray will be meant to hold. so hopefully this new spec will be the final spec lol. im tripple checking these measurements before i have him make another though lol.
    Drag It!

dark outside and i was getting rained on but heres a little fitment idea of this battery box. it has to go over to the right about 1/2" but the battery tray size im planning on making is 1/4" longer than this one so it will sit about 1/4" further from the tire, and to keep the bolts from digging into the battery it will also sit 2 1/2" lower as well. now my tires are slightly smaller than the common size people run which is a 195/60R14. that size measures in at 23.2" diameter and mine measure in at 23" even. but by the time you move the tray over and put the bigger tire it will sit a hair further away then in this pic.

Drag It!

well........... still in the process of redoing the whole battery tray, but i did just order this

then at some point i will get me a voltage gauge as well. come spring time i will get the battery tray all mounted up, and voltage gauge installeded.
    Drag It!

so my new gauge bezel came in today...............

looks pretty legit i must say cant wait to get it installed with working gauges and get that car rocking down the road again. my builder is coming by sunday to look at the measurements i took for the battery box and everything so hopefully ill get the new and final design on that. and since im starting to work again ill be able to actually afford my new battery cables i need as well as the gauges i want lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    You gonna keep that guys license plate lol?
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

im assuming you mean the one on the front bumper? lol

actually the owner of the car passed away and nobody could find the tittle of the car so they just decided to part it out/cut it up and scrap the rest. the scrapper is who i got the parts off of so it doesnt really matter to much lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Haha if you keep it you can get into all the handicapped parking sections.

im young, un injured......... i couldnt take that from someone who actually needs it. i have more respect then that man.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I know man, just kidding.

i know you are but anyways...... back on subject..............

so now that i will be working again i can spend more money on my cars conservitably of course

buying everything you want is always funner but that gets you know where in life. so i will just get what i need to get my car on the road and running right. so right now that involves a voltage gauge to keep an eye on the alternator, some new battery cables, and a heater core. next on my list will be a oil pressure gauge im thinking. oh wait........ nevermind. i got a bad tie rod end and sway bar bushings. oh and bad rear brakes lol. so ill get voltage gauge then work on my steering issues and brake issues. ill get my exhaust i already have put on as well though while im at it.

all slowly one thing at a time though. and at same time i will be putting away money to go towards a new cab for my mini truck
    Drag It!

still hanging it, but looks way better with the new fender already.

bumper is just sitting there. its not actually mounted though

i might be able to hammer and dolly the one medium size dent on driver fender. its not creased at all, i just gotta pull it off to try first.

Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Dang man you gotta clean up your yard!!

the car actually isnt even at my house. thats at my gramas house. the yard itself isnt bad, but we live out in the country so we have more to deal with then grass and leaves lol
    Drag It!

gotta recut the notches from this pic because the base isnt wide enough. also i dont know what happend but my 2 squares for the access hole are an inch lower than they are supposed to be.

you can see how well the mounting holes line up though

marking off the side bracket that is covered up by the bumper/core support

here you can see why the base of the notches needs widend out more. the relief hole for the bumper bolt needs moved just a hair and made bigger as well.

changed the notches up some. this is of the backing plate............ perfect fit!

cut an inch tall section out of the top and moved to the bottom of the squares so its in the right spot now.

some changes need made so side plate will need redone still for the final template. plus i want thicker material so its more to "scale" so i will redo them all.

but this is where there at for now.

Drag It!

i also measured to redo all my battery cables and switch over to sidepost. just gotta get the wire to do that part.
    Drag It!