Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

life of my 96 neon with a 2.4 swap!

so the guy i was talking to about his neon with 2.4 swap finally came off it. i drove it home a little bit ago

gave him both of my dakota's and sadly all my rc stuff but i now have the car ive been wanting

i wanted to switch to electric anyway since mine were all nitro so im not to overly bumbed.

the one dakota was ready to drive and was a 94 extended cab short bed 2wd with 3.9L v6 and roughly 193,000 miles. the other was a 92 standard cab long bed 4x4 with 5.2L 318 v8 and 135,000 ish miles. the 4x4 has a rusted out body, the 2wd has a rusted out frame. and the 4x4 needs an ignition relay, and a freeze plug. then the rc's were my 4907 racemaxx, and my slayer pro 4x4.

but man this neon is sick! i cant even begin to describe the world of difference between the 2.4 dohc 5 speed compared to my 2.0 sohc automatic. its got some intake work done to it, atleast a stage 2 if not a stage 3 clutch, it has the rt wheels, full rt interior, came with a set of brand new slicks mounted on some nice wheels. this car doesnt matter what gear your in, it will instantly set you back in the seat. 5th gear cruising you can go half throttle and your doing 90 before you even have time to realize it. car has 1 year old kyb struts with racing springs on the back and brand new matching set to go on the front still. urethane motor mount inserts so basically solid mounts lol. bugger bushings, battery relocated to the front right corner, the whole nine yards. needs fenders and a hood then 2 dents fixed and paint. ill get some pics up in the daylight. its sick nasty lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Pics?.....
    E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

Tons tomorrow. It was dark when I got there already so ill take lots in the daylight
    Drag It!

ok............ little teaser........ heres the pics from when it was on craigslist before the guy i got it from bought it from his buddy. who built it.

only rust is just right in front of the left rear door at the wheel well. the other rust thats here and there is all surface just coming through from the primer.

and heres the exact posting for it to.

Im selling my 1996 Dodge Neon 2.4 swap. The engine is out of a 2000 Dodge Stratus that had 70k on it. It was installed about three years ago, Ive put about 30k on it since then. It was my daily driver but needs tires, which I have just dont have the time to get them installed.....I went through the engine, It has all new gaskets and seals from the head to the oil pan, Srt timing set (tensioner, idler belt etc.) Balance shafts are removed, head was cut .035 to raise the comp. ratio. It has an AMM no 90 lower intake manifold, solid bobble strut, full prothane motor mounts all around. Egr has been removed and blocked off. New struts on the rear with Performance Driven High rate springs, (have new struts and springs for the front, never installed.) Battery has been relocated to the bumper. Runs good, shifts good, gets around 30 mpg. I ran it at the strip three years ago once I got it on the road. It ran high 14's with slicks. Just dont have time or money to put into it, Full R/t interior etc. There is rust starting to show through the primer, bodys a little rough. But it doesnt leak a drop of oil, Ive only ran Mobil 1 full sythetic through it.

1500 obo, I have extra parts to go with it if I get the right price. I have a set of Mickey Thompson et. slicks and a custom ordered Big tube kirk racing header

now i got the slicks even just not the header. but guy i got it from said i could probably get that for about $100.

so what you guys think?
    Drag It!

just went out and looked. according to the door the stock tiires/wheels are 165/80R13

front tires are now 175/65R14

and rear tires which the guy i got it from put on are 185/65R14 which is the same size as my 97 christmas car neon lol

and srt-4 wheels are 17" and the stock tire size is 205/50R17
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Now you've got a cop car and a christmas car lol.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

A COP CAR? not sure what you mean there?
    Drag It!

ok heres 2 vids of the guy i got it from at the strip racing

and now the pics i promised.............

Drag It!

had to get the magnet off him to lol

slicks! hehe 22 x 8 R15 Mickey Thomson E/T

the pride and joy...... the powerplant...........

urithane inserts all the way around with solid bobble strut

no 90 intake

motor sticking up

notice the missing battery? its been relocated

can you see the battery?

Drag It!

gas tank with fuel pump out of stratus. not sure if it will work or not though

extra coil pack

hate rate springs and kyb struts

and pioneer speakers all the way around. just need to put a radio back in it.
    Drag It!

video i shot this morning

Drag It!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    A COP CAR? not sure what you mean there?
    Yeah a cop car, the 'ol black+white. Congrats on the new ride man I'm just messing with ya.

RC Champion
    Them urethane mounts give you a lot of vibration? I put a urethane tranny mount on my Z and it changed everything about how the car feels and sounds inside.

RC Qualifier
    It's got a bigger motor than my prelude :O

Quote Originally Posted by lubecakes View Post
    Yeah a cop car, the 'ol black+white. Congrats on the new ride man I'm just messing with ya.
    its deffinately black and grey lol, but thanks its fun. got the title notorized today so ill be getting title in my name soon so i can get tags and drive her.
    Drag It!

Them urethane mounts give you a lot of vibration? I put a urethane tranny mount on my Z and it changed everything about how the car feels and sounds inside.
    what they are in my case is all brand new mounts with urethane inserts in them which is majority of the mount. theres one on driver side to hold trans, one in front on core support, and one at passenger side off the front of the motor. those are all urethane inserted and then theres a shock on the backside of motor called a bobble strut which has a solid one with no give.

and yes vibration out the you know what lol, i cant even see out my mirrors very well and the 50 minute drive to get car home was making my hand numb lol. but did it add performance? oh heck ya it did. and the struts and springs in the rear really helps out in handling and keeps the back of car from going all over the place like most stock cars do when your running them hard.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by Draggin97S10 View Post
    It's got a bigger motor than my prelude :O
    probably faster to, its american made lol

jk, gotta hassle you since you ditched the mini truck for a honda.

in all seriousness any idea what that car runs in 1/4 mile? top speed?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Nice car, we need to get together with our projects and race haha, bet you'd blow me away though.
    Those 4 cylinders can be very quick.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Double post deleted.
    Matthew 7:7

can anyone photoshop half way decent? i want to see the car painted satin black and fix the dents and whatnot. and black out the side/back window and put a sunstrip at the top of winshield. can anyone do this for me by chance?

and i need a name for her? what you guys got, need ideas? its basically a full rt neon so i want to keep it like that. does not have rt badges or anything though. i want it to be pretty much a total sleeper unless i have the slicks on it.

it has rt front bumper, rt wheels, rt transmission (which explains the crazy off the line power), rt pcm so it will go 135mph as well.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Nice car, we need to get together with our projects and race haha, bet you'd blow me away though.
    Those 4 cylinders can be very quick.
    im down but ill let you know now the car only weighs 2,300lbs and the motor stock makes 150hp and 167 ft. lbs of torque at a 9.4 compression ratio.

now it has a decked head with a 10.5:1 compression ration along with other things. and it runs high 15's when not even running right. but im down to lay some rubber ill even leave the slicks off for ya lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion

and pioneer speakers all the way around. just need to put a radio back in it.
    Look at the little baby speakers. Did Pioneer steal the magnets from a set of tweeters?

Just playing. I am so used to my Pyle 6x9's that everything else looks small when compared to the 120oz magnets on them.

And I would ditch the stratus tank and the stock one. Install a fuel cell and it should cut down on the weight and as far as tanks go perform better.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Bob'stang
    Were you full throttle in that video you took?

RC Champion
    Hey Kenny you live near Cedar point? I'm going there on the 15th and 16th.

RC Qualifier
    probably faster to, its american made lol

jk, gotta hassle you since you ditched the mini truck for a honda.

in all seriousness any idea what that car runs in 1/4 mile? top speed?
    Lol probably is faster!... And I'll get back into mini's don't worry about that!!

I don't know honestly.. But ive got h22a swap in mine so she pulls pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'stang View Post
    Were you full throttle in that video you took?
    i think at first i was but only half throttle after i put on my turnsignal and turn.
    Drag It!

Hey Kenny you live near Cedar point? I'm going there on the 15th and 16th.
    somewhat, less than 20 miles lets say that. about 10 miles from the edge of sandusky and by the time i go through town and across causway and all its probably like 20 miles ish.

i usually end up in sandusky a few times a week and multiple times on the weekends though.
    Drag It!

[QUOTE=Draggin97S10;5199183]Lol probably is faster!... And I'll get back into mini's don't worry about that!!

I don't know honestly.. But ive got h22a swap in mine so she pulls pretty hard.[/QUOTE

well go find you a dragstrip and run it then lol
    Drag It!

Bob'stang
    What does your car go on the 1/4 mile?

got it late friday night so i havent got to run it yet. and just got plates and insurance on it yesterday. best ive seen it run was a 15.8 but i have it running better now then it was then so we will find out tomorrow after work. im gonna take it to the strip
    Drag It!

Bob'stang
    Nice that's pretty good. I've never been to a drag strip but I imagine that my car would probobly go a high 12 or low 13.

well after practice run 3 i put a fuel pressure gauge on the car. its supposed to stay at 49psi at the rail. it has this at idle but as i hit the gas it drops more and more the higher it revs.

but i made it to top 11 then i broke out at 16.47 on a 16.87 dial.

cant wait to see what it does without loosing fuel pressure
    Drag It!

dont know if i mentioned it or not but on the left front wheel there was one cheapo lug nut that went in so far you couldnt get it off. so if i got a flat i would have been in trouble, but then again i dont have a spare in this car either........ hmm......... anyway lol i drilled out the stud removed wheel pounded the rest out and put a new one in. and of course while it was off i had to throw a slick on to see how it looked lol. would have took a pic but it was already to dark. maybe this weekend ill get one for you guys. looks pretty sweet on there.

oh and at the track last night there was a 2.0 neon with a built motor (naturally aspirated) full cage and slicks that sounded like a v8 and with horrible driving by the owner who was probably 70+ years old it still ran a mid 13. the car was all sorts of nasty! so cant wait to have the 2.4 built now lol
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    My 2.0 neon 5 speed all stock was a little monster for 132 crank HP! I'm now a die hard Mitsubishi Guy. I own a custom modded (by me) boosted 97 galant at 4.5 lbs of boost I made 195 wtq and 185 whp on the dyno Not bad at all for the old SOHC 2.4. My gf owns a 2nd Gen eclipse gsx (awd Turbo) that's modded.. no dyno tune yet on that.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

yeah wish my daily 97 was a 5 speed. im assuming yours was the sohc since you said 132hp cus the dohc made 150 at the crank. lol

but yeah i mean i love my neons, people just dont suspect them.

UPDATE:

ok so i borrowed a scan tool from a friend. found out that fuel is definately my issue for one reason or another since pressure just drops when u give it gas. my short term fuel trim actually goes negative when i throttle it lol. so in the morning im gonna go snag up a 58psi fuel pressure regulator from the newer neons out of a junkyard (first get is only 49 psi). we will see what that does along with making sure the pump is getting 12v like it should. if it still has to low of pressure im getting a new fuel pump. but not the oem style lol. ill get a wallbro 255 for $100 vs $215 for the oem pump.
    Drag It!

well bummer....... glad i looked under my car because i have the steel gas tank which does not have the removable fuel pressure regulator on it.

is swapping out the entire tank and pump for the newer style an option? i dont know honestly...............

but i do have an external fuel filter having the old style so im going to go get a new one tomorrow and hope it fixes it. if the pump gets good voltage which i still have to test then the pump may just be week. so i guess next step would be the wallbro 255 pump which is a direct drop in for a neon but still not sure how to control the fuel pressure.

sigh............. more searching lol.
    Drag It!

well, off to go get a cam magnet, a fuel filter, maybe some seafoam and who knows what else.
    Drag It!

well today went well. changed the fuel filter which looked original with a wix fuel filter. and i wanted to change the oil and mobil 1 which is whats been run in the motor since installed was even on sale luckily. so i got some of that and this bad boy to clean the oil out

uploading 2 videos for you guys so ill post them when there done.
    Drag It!

Drag It!

and heres the better acceleration video when it runs right lol

Drag It!