RC poster

Traxxas Telemetry Setup / Installation

Okay -

Today I called support and got hit head to head with no real support which really disappoints me.

I bought a Revo Nitro 3.3 #5309 this is my 5th Traxxas product and second revo....

Any way I bought all the pieces for the telemetry system and there is no guide of any sort for install and the tech on the phone couldn't provide anything either. I was promised a call back but that never happened.

I got the temp sensor and voltage working but cannot get the rpm sensor to read..... My flywheel has a magnet installed in it already from the factory.... (yes i even double checked)

The sensor mount comes with three pieces marked a, b, and c. The tech could not tell me which one to use for this vehicle but to play process of elimination......

I pulled the tranny and full engine to get this installed played edit getting engine back in place with the two washers. (Tech told me engine just rotates out so I only have to remove 1 screw... yeah that didnt work the engine cannot pass through the opening and goes in on in angle so both sides have to be removed.)

Anyway I set it up with the only piece that came remotely close to the flywheel but it does not align behind it nor in front or alongside of it. It sits behind and to the side and this was the only piece that really fit.

The actual sensor was installed with the side with the wire coming out of the back towards the rear of the engine and the smooth portion facing towards the front of the car.

Anyone have this installed, setup, with a photo and some notes on how this may work?

I'm doubting the tech will be calling me back.... He claimed he was going to try to install it himself and call me back in an hour.... that was 8 hours ago....... anyway any help would be greatly appreciated. I cannot believe that a company of this size that took the time to engineer the sensors and mounts cant get a tech and a web-admin to put together a online install guide or at least a text guide... a crude assembly drawing diagram like many Chinese toys / furniture / etc would even work.

Please watch the language. Anytime you see ** replacing words you wrote go back and edit them out.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-08-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Language

Telemetry for these vehicles is starting to come out so the support for it may be a little lean. As more people buy the TQi system the more help we all will be able to provide. A lot of us still are using the older 2.4ghz system(s). So another phone call to Traxxas may be in order and see if you can get the same tech.
    Personally, telemetry would be cool to have but it is more stuff for the truck and I like to keep it simple.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    I have a spektrum dx3s I got it for telemetry. I set it up it didn't work the way I thought it did and now I don't use it. Other wise I love the tx feels good and the digital display is nice. Other than that I would leave it be it is more stuff to check when you should be paying attention to the RC.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC poster
    I also Experienced the same exact thing that your talking about we have the same care and the same problems! I don't understand how a company can sale a product and advertise all these great things you can do to it and then give no information on
    how to install or set up the sensors VERY MISLEADING AND FRUSTRATING ESP WHEN THE TRAXXAS SUPPORT DON'T EVEN KNOW AND ARE VERY RUDE AND SHORT WITH YOU ON THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT IT IF I WOULD HAVE KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways I ended up finally getting everything installed as far as the sensor mount by the fly wheel what I did is took off the back left shock and the bar that goes over the engine and both rear engine mounts on the right side of the engine (The ones that are by the rear shocks, one side that has the yellow ground wire on it, not the ones by the outside of the car) I used the mount (A) and installed it that way. I have no idea if that's the correct way to do it or mount to use but it's the only one that that would work and made sense to me. (note when installing make sure that you put the sensor is in the mount before you install the mount or you wont get the sensor in the mount I learned that the hard way!) I uses a little shoe glue to hold it in the mount as well so it wouldn't fall out. Now the question I have for you is how do you set it all up on you Ipod I got the temp working but haven't got the rpm gauge to work yet please let me know if you find out anything else so I can get it working. I would call Traxxas but as we both know banging your head against the wall is the equivalent to that! thanks

RC Competitor
    do a little search.
    try http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Telemetry-Kit)
    I followed the method, works perfect.

RC Competitor
    ok u use arm A take the 2 right side bolts out that hold motor to motor mount they r located about front or rear shocks ,put sensor in slot use the tie they give u to tie the wire down closest to sensor will hold it in ,then place arm with sensor in on top of of lip where bolts go in ,the sensor should be very close to flywheel put bolts back in and tighten down ,dont forget to connect yellow wire back on also should come off when take the bolt closet to front of motor off .thats it u r done ,it will be a whole lot easier if u r comfortable taking motor out ,just take the top side 4 bolts out few other things motor out . if need help just let me know. yes the smooth side goes inside so u can pull the sensor in or out with arm in place.thats why to use tie it might come out if u dont .
    Last edited by stang2005; 01-11-2013 at 11:15 AM.

RC poster
    It's kind of hard to see but my (A)bracket fits right behind the flywheel