RC Competitor

discharging nimh?

i charged up my 7 cell and on my first run i hit a hill and then when i landed i didnt have enough time to stop before i ran into some stairs. so i broke the bulkhead where the pin goes through and holds on the a arm. well thats off the subject but anyways................... i have a fully charged battery and its gonna be a good week before i can fix my rustler and i dont have a charger that can discharge. im not even sure if thats a problem with nimh batteries. so thats why i am here. do i have to discharge it someway or will it be fine?

I'm guessing it's the Stock Traxxas pack? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nimh cells have a decent self-discharge rate. If you really feel the need, just lift the back wheels off the ground and turn your throttle trim up for awhile to discharge the pack a little.

RC Competitor
    yeah i think ill run it for three or four minutes just to get that full charge off of it. thanks

RC Champion
    I was in the same position as you once and endlessly worrying about the condition of my nimh cells. When I look back after going lipo I can tell you all the controversy on the internet on this subject is a complete waste of time. I simply wouldn't bother with maintaining nimh by discharging it. The pack might live a few weeks longer but for the time stock packs live anyway it's not worth it, you'll still find yourself upgrading to lipo and then you'll never use nimh ever again.

IMHO just run the stock pack for a few months while it lives. Then when you notice a drop in performance hopefully you'll have saved up enough to go lipo
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    already in the works for lipo. lol