RC Racer

TheBombers modification thread - home made trim tabs.

As you can see I'm a new member to this forum. In addition I'm a new Spartan owner having only taken my boat out twice so far. My first "mod" was to get 3 cell Lipos. Well dam, that exposed some handling and possibly heat issues.

In response I ordered the usual fair: Cooling jacket, dual pic up rudder, dual outlet, tubing and trim adjusters. The trim adjusters were backorder so I decided to make my own today.

Using commonly available materials and household tools I made my own in about 20 minutes (one side) as I'm deciding if I want to blow off the dual inlet rudder in favor of a transom mounted inlet which is connected to the LHS trim tab.

So what do you think?

I haven't polished them yet as I'm considering de anodizing everything and will polish everything at the same time.

RC Qualifier
    They look good, just like store bought well done.
    hog

RC Racer
    Thanks Im working on the other side. Im going to include a transom mounted water pick up.

RC Enthusiast
    What thinkness is the adjusters......Im like you rather make a set than buy them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm thinking of building one myself too and maybe a splash guard.
    good work THEBOMER
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    I finished fabricating my port side trim tab. I added a water pickup for the motor:

In this pic you can see my AL. water jacket as well as the velcro I added to the battery beds. I think this along with a thin strip on the battery will keep them from sliding out. Also note the weather stripping in the hatch channel:

I also added a splash guard:

RC Racer
    Question/ Concern: I've tried every type of weather stripping to try and "seal" the top to the cap deck, never got anything to work because the profile of the top would gain height and i could not get the mounting hole to go deep enough to allow me to put the post pin through. Did you modify the stock top to accommodate the weather stripping?

Thanks,

John

RC Racer
    BTW: TheBomber, do these fit in the stock mounting holes? Would you be willing to make more sets to sell? Would love to replace my traxxas ones with yours.

RC Champion
    Very nice work
    Not much room left to install an inner set of trim tabs...Are you going to build a set of inner tabs? But custom built tabs is what this thread is about...Do that thing that you do and keep us posted.

You may find reduced water flow from that water pickup at high speeds as the transom comes out of the water, especially making right hand turns.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I use the Velcro pads on the battery tray and a strip on the battery's. It works very well to help secure the battery's.
    Hog

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    Question/ Concern: I've tried every type of weather stripping to try and "seal" the top to the cap deck, never got anything to work because the profile of the top would gain height and i could not get the mounting hole to go deep enough to allow me to put the post pin through. Did you modify the stock top to accommodate the weather stripping?

Thanks,

John
    I didn't have any trouble witht he weather stripping being to thick. I can send you some if you like

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    BTW: TheBomber, do these fit in the stock mounting holes? Would you be willing to make more sets to sell? Would love to replace my traxxas ones with yours.
    The trim tabs themselves are stock, but the adjuster tabs are custom and fit in the stock mounting holes. As for making more sets, I would be open to that on a very limited basis. I could also do a very detailed "how to" since it's so easy.