RC Qualifier

What does 30C or 50C mean on lipos?

I have a 30c lipo but people at the track recommend a 50c they said it will give me more umph before i hit the jumps? so is that true? looking to get the 50c 5000mah 2s lipo from SPC... Thanks in Advance!!
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by falconsare5@yahoo.com View Post
    I have a 30c lipo but people at the track recommend a 50c they said it will give me more umph before i hit the jumps? so is that true? looking to get the 50c 5000mah 2s lipo from SPC... Thanks in Advance!!
    As best I understand it, it's the continuous discharge rate the battery can handle: 30C x 5000mAh (5Ah) = 150A discharge rate. So for the same 5000mAh battery, a 50C battery is rated at 250A discharge rate (see your ESC specifications to see the amp rating it is designed to handle). I have three of the 25C 7.4V SPC 5000mAh batteries and I've been very pleased with them. I only bash, have never raced. I've been wondering a little, though, if I would see more benefit from buying a new battery that is 2S 50C or a 3S 25C... really don't know.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    Yea i think im going to go with the 50c pretty soon here.
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

OlorinTharkin explained very well what the discharge rating means.
    The most important difference between batteries with a different C-rating, is the fact that the higher rated batteries suffer less from voltage drops under load.
    That means that when you demand the most from them (during acceleration), the higher rated batteries are able to deliver the amperage at a higher voltage, so that means more power (amps x volts = watts which equals power). That is the higher punch or umph that drivers exprience.
    So even with two batteries which are both able to feed your combo when you calculate the maximum discharge rate, the higher C-rated ones still will have that advantage.

If you get a battery that is rated lower than your combo wants, it might heat up quickly. A 5000mAh 25C is more than enough to stay cool in your Rustler.
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Competitor
    the vxl has a peak current of 320 amps so C rating x ah = amps? so if you had a 50c battery that was 8000mah (50x8=400) that would be too much for the esc to hanlde?

RC Champion
    It depends, you need to know the constant C discharge, and the burst C discharge.
    Everything overpowered...

......at the end you cannot distinguish between two cars running with two different ratings batteries.
    i did saw myself two identical cars with 40 and 90 ratings batteries and i couldn't notice any difference in their performance....
    yes the motor and the esc would " feel " the difference but for humans it's impossible i guess.

I wouldnt take the spec of the VXL-3s too serious. I think it has enough trouble to stay cool at amp rates below 100A.

For what it's worth, give me my 4x4 Pede with one of my batteries (25C, 40C and 50C) and I will tell you within 10 seconds which one is in it.
    Even the punch difference between 40C and 50C is noticeable. At least, it is for me.
    Not saying it is very important, but I notice it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

i will not went with argue with my respected friend Mr. Peter, but i can upload two videos showing two same buggies with 40&90 C rating battries doing some normal runs and bashing around and i would say it's too hard to distinguish.
    Peter, you are far better than me in knowledge here, i would say you're able to tell the difference upon your exerience or upon the lipo brand and quality but for average or even close to high expert person i wouldn't doubt that he will guess.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert JATO View Post
    ......at the end you cannot distinguish between two cars running with two different ratings batteries.
    i did saw myself two identical cars with 40 and 90 ratings batteries and i couldn't notice any difference in their performance....
    yes the motor and the esc would " feel " the difference but for humans it's impossible i guess.
    Maybe the 90C pack was not really 90C, maybe it was really only 30C or 40C. There is only one company I know of that labels packs as 90C and you can view testing of one of their packs in post #3 here.

If a vehicle is hooking up and really using the power at hand, it is readily possible to tell the difference between two packs with significantly different C ratings as long as the C ratings are accurate.

RC Qualifier
    Thats true, the C rating will matter if the C ratings is accurate. Not saying you need the highest C rate, but it will be a differance. Its all about finding the best performance for the price, you dont need "killer" things all the time.

Hi Jakay..
    ok , i got your points with the others and i really respect them all..
    after few minutes i'll upload 2 videos of identical cars running on the same battery configuration, the same motor, everything except that the brand and the batteries C rating are VERY VERY DIFFERENT .

i need someone to distinguish which one has the highest C rating and UP to how much ( just an estimation ) and after this i'll let you all know the answer and even to contact the owners of the two cars ..

Fair enough ?

1. http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...&current=X.mp4
    2. http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...urrent=X-2.mp4

i know that the videos quality wasn't good but the difference is so so huge in regard of the C rating and the brand manufacturer
    reputation .

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    To see the difference in C rating compare to my older SPC 12C LiPos. Even with a 8000mAh rating, that's 96A at best. These are ~4 years old so they have definitely lost some punch. There just isn't any comparison to my SPC 25C 5000mAh.
    25C 5000mAh will lift the front end at will and just about any speed. The 12C will only lift the front end from a dead stop and accelerate like I've tied a boat anchor to it.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

Peter, you are far better than me in knowledge here, i would say you're able to tell the difference upon your exerience or upon the lipo brand and quality but for average or even close to high expert person i wouldn't doubt that he will guess.
    I think Peter must be more in tune with his Rusty. Man with the machine sort of thing.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by falconsare5@yahoo.com View Post
    I use this battery at the track (i think it's a 5400mah) and really prefer it over any other battery BUT you need a setup that can deliver more power to the ground: esc/motor/tires/drivetrain. More power is no good if you are spinning out when trying to apply it before a jump.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

To be clear, I was just stating what my own experiences are. I wont say it cant happen that you cant notice the difference between 2 packs that have very different specs. I know Desert JATO knows his stuff and I would never mind that someone questions my experiences because his own differ a lot. That is the purpose of forums. Share knowledge and experiences.

I have 5000mAh 40C Sky Lipos which have a punch that doesnt even come near the punch of my 40C SPC ones. Not saying Sky Lipos are bad at all here. They were cheaper than the SPC ones.

As far as I know C-rating is no well defined standard, so it's hard to say a Lipo's specs have a wrong C-rating. Maybe Jakey has more info on this matter.

I have tried quite some different motors and tried them with some different Lipos, but that doesnt make me a highly sensitive motor or battery expert. Most of the time I stop driving when I feel the Lipo is losing power and that is often right before LVC kicks in. There are guys around here that have 10 times more experience than me.

So.... if you think or just know I am wrong, just tell me. I still learn every day.

at all dear Peter..
    i do respect every single post you're placing here in the forum.. you're really one great member that everybody is learning from including me.

Don't ever think that i'm questioning your knowledge and great experience.

it was just my opinion that somehow crossed with yours and that's it.
    all the respect my friend Peter
    Last edited by Desert JATO; 06-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.

as for the answer of the post #.13, i'll wait for jakey tonight or any inputs from others then post the very strange answer!

Likewise, my friend. My experience doesnt make yours not true. And the other way around.
    Respect is mutual!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1. http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n=viewĄt=X.mp4
    2. http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...viewĄt=X-2.mp4

i know that the videos quality wasn't good but the difference is so so huge in regard of the C rating and the brand manufacturer
    reputation .
    I can't believe you are trying to make a comparison in potential battery pack power based upon these two videos and observed vehicle performances. The first video shows the buggy running on a very hard surface with what looks like scattered sand, basically the traction is so limited as to look like drifting. The second video looks like short grass, which if it is will provide significantly more traction. So how could anyone possibly determine battery pack power from running a vehicle on nearly opposite traction surfaces?

Have to agree with Jakey 110%. I only watched the first five or so seconds of both videos, but that was enough to get the picture. That first vid is a step away from punching the throttle with no pinion gear installed on the motor.

I also agree with your first post as far as having enough traction to notice a difference. I can honestly tell a difference between all of my packs when running my SC10. I'm running a 10.5 motor on a very tight and technical track with tons of grip. Lots of full throttle and full brake stabs. I can even tell the difference between two identical packs that I have. One is approximately a year older than the other. They run basically identical for the first few minutes, but after 10 or so minutes of running, there is a drastic difference. Same goes for the lower mah/C rated packs.

If I tried those same packs in my T4 with 7.5 motor, I couldn't tell you which is which. Way too much motor to really pull the throttle hard with. Never really get any hard draws on the batteries with that setup. Seems the smaller the motor and/or heavier the vehicle, the more difference a better pack makes during a long race.
    Last edited by harry697; 06-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I can't believe you are trying to make a comparison in potential battery pack power based upon these two videos and observed vehicle performances. The first video shows the buggy running on a very hard surface with what looks like scattered sand, basically the traction is so limited as to look like drifting. The second video looks like short grass, which if it is will provide significantly more traction. So how could anyone possibly determine battery pack power from running a vehicle on nearly opposite traction surfaces?
    i'd be honest and fair at your point in regard of the traction and the nature of the terrain that each car were running at .
    but now i need you and everybody who watch these two vids to tell his judgment over " if there's a really big difference in the performance or it's just almost the same with minor performance " after watching the original videos wihch been posted on youtube :

1. 6S ******* 4000 mah , 40C rating

2. 6S Orion 5000 mah, 90C rating

and here's an another video showing the same car with the same tire over a same surface ( the same traction ) in Dubai,
    6S lipo but a very cheap lipo brand with a such great performance :

Yay, I'm glad harry and Jakey responded here. They are two of the guys of which I think who did at least 10x the milage of me.

I think the actual experience of punch is looking at a car's speed while having the finger at the throttle yourself.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i'd be honest and fair at your point in regard of the traction and the nature of the terrain that each car were running at .
    but now i need you and everybody who watch these two vids to tell his judgment over " if there's a really big difference in the performance or it's just almost the same with minor performance " after watching the original videos wihch been posted on youtube :

1. 6S ******* 4000 mah , 40C rating

2. 6S Orion 5000 mah, 90C rating

and here's an another video showing the same car with the same tire over a same surface ( the same traction ) in Dubai,
    6S lipo but a very cheap lipo brand with a such great performance :

I must ask, did you have a chance to read the thread I linked in my first post in this thread? If so, it will become very obvious the 90C pack you noted is highly, no make that grossly over-rated. Regardless it is impossible to make any type of performance comparisons among packs when the operating conditions vary significantly as they do in your videos.

i didn't notice your link above. i just read the tests post now.
    part of your idea is clear to me, as working in the medical field for many long years, Yes, the only way to determine or to diagnose a sample is by lap test nothing nothing less.
    the lap test machine takes on tens of blood samples all similar, they all got the same color and temp but later and after completing the test process it turns that some sample are free of certain matters while others are filled with troubles and bad news !

Those tests can only be visual by certain devices, rc hobbyist cannot realize it ... the same example in blood tests.

as for quality, yes i'm fully sure ( although i don't have it ) that certain brands are better than others depending on honest tests made by trustful members here, on the other hand i assure everybody that i got a pack of 3S from a brand that almost everyone says it's not that good still performing like new since 2008.

no need to mention it's name here but that is the truth.

Thanks for the batteries test link