RC Competitor

slash 2wd rear suspension

Newbie needs help with my slash 2wd rear suspension. it is very low. How can I bring it back up? should I invest with a new suspension? if so, what is a good one?

RC Champion
    First disconnect your shocks and see if you have any suspension bind, that needs to be addressed first.

Next remove your springs on your shocks and push the shaft in all the way and realease it, does it begin to return on its own by about 3/8 in or so? If not it is likely time to learn about your stock shock innards. Are the shock shafts bent by chance? If not then remove the top shock caps and check fluid levels, they are like to be low. If so, drain out and fill with proper shock oil weight based on your type of driving, 30-60wt is often the choice range.

The stock white springs are progressive springs and it no uncommon that they begin sag after a lot of use. There are heavier springs you can get from Traxxas or Losi. A certain amount of 'sag' is considered normal, check from behind to see if the swing arms are parallel with the ground or not, they should be. Shim shocks with spacers as needed.

Some or all of this may help, it is a learning curve. To stiff and the back end bounces around and won't apply good traction at acceleration.

RC Qualifier
    I use 60 w fluid in the back . The biggest spacer and the biggest one before that one . Two spacers. It is low but the driving on the track is just what I need. (my choice) I'll eventually get other springs cause I bottom out still
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Qualifier
    I personally run 80 weight all around my slash ( yes 80wt ). I run the stock springs and the second to largest spacer in the rear and none in the front. It sits very low. I set my rear so the drive shafts are parallel to the ground when at rest at race weight.

Play with a couple spacers, check the shock shafts and oil levels. If you pull the shock off and actuate it quickly and it moves easily then suddenly slows down, usually that indicates no enough fluid. Rebuild them I'm pairs, front to back, so they come out as close to the same as you can. I won't go into the pistons and holes in the piston. Read up on that if your curious.

RC Qualifier
    I might try 80 yes.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Competitor
    Thank You... I will try this later.

RC Competitor
    Im using 45wt right now... i will try 60 if it will work

RC Champion
    changing your fluid weight wont change your ride hight. add spacers and/or change your springs. 45wt should be a good weight oil.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    First disconnect your shocks and see if you have any suspension bind, that needs to be addressed first.

Next remove your springs on your shocks and push the shaft in all the way and realease it, does it begin to return on its own by about 3/8 in or so? If not it is likely time to learn about your stock shock innards. Are the shock shafts bent by chance? If not then remove the top shock caps and check fluid levels, they are like to be low. If so, drain out and fill with proper shock oil weight based on your type of driving, 30-60wt is often the choice range.

The stock white springs are progressive springs and it no uncommon that they begin sag after a lot of use. There are heavier springs you can get from Traxxas or Losi. A certain amount of 'sag' is considered normal, check from behind to see if the swing arms are parallel with the ground or not, they should be. Shim shocks with spacers as needed.

Some or all of this may help, it is a learning curve. To stiff and the back end bounces around and won't apply good traction at acceleration.

it still returned a little bit but quite noticeable. changed the shock oil to 45w and used the same spacer. it help a little bit but I have to test drive it later since it is 3:00 am...
    SLASH 4X4, SLASH 2WD, RUSTLER VXL, TMAXX 2.5R

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    changing your fluid weight wont change your ride hight. add spacers and/or change your springs. 45wt should be a good weight oil.
    thanks for the comment...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vchirinos View Post
    I use 60 w fluid in the back . The biggest spacer and the biggest one before that one . Two spacers. It is low but the driving on the track is just what I need. (my choice) I'll eventually get other springs cause I bottom out still
    I dont mind if both front and back are low... mine is actually like doing a wheelie already...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Try to add spacers to the rear shocks. If you find you need 2 of the largest ones or more to get your ride height back, it may be time for new springs.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    I'm a new Slash owner and working through the same issue. I'd be surprised if my springs are worn out... I've only run ~6 packs through the truck. I recently started using a 8000mah Lipo which certainly didn't help the sag problem. I'm currently only using the pre-load spacers that came pre-installed. I'll try adding a second set to see if it helps. And to clarify, oil wt has nothing to do with ride height.

check the fluid and put in spacers that came with the slash

RC Competitor
    i have the largest spacers installed. Slash is few weeks old so replacing the springs I think wouldnt be the solution. This is a RTR so maybe when they assembled this, they interchanged the rear and front shocks.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Move the bottom rear shock mount to the 3rd hole in. Move the ft lower shock mount to the outside hole. Install another medium to large spacer on the rear shocks. Problem fixed.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    You sound like you need some preload in the rear, if it's just droop that you're experiencing and want to get rid of.
    SSC SLASH 4X4