RC Champion

Question ok is it better to build or buy

hey guys

lets say i wanted to build a race slash with multiple aftermarket parts would it be cheaper to buy a stock truck and swap out the parts or build peice by peice

what im thinking for parts are

front/rear rpm bumpers (black)
    proline pro trak kit
    strc hing pins
    losi shocks(like what some pedeists use)
    all aluminum axle carriers/blocks
    accer or boca bearings in the trans
    proline f-150 raptor shell
    tra part 6852x hd drive shafts for slash/pede 4x4
    a diffrent power system
    and more to name lol

im am thinking its going to be cheaper but i would like your guys opions on this topic
    thank you

RC Champion
    If you find a good deal on a roller, it might be cheaper to start with a rolling chassis and buy the parts you're talking about. There's a lot of online chop shops out there.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Enthusiast
    Do you mean vs buying the vxl? If I were you I'd consider finding a cheap roller on ebay. I'd also recommend some sort of lcg chassis if you want to race. If you go the strc route it might be better to find a rustler roller. Have fun

RC Champion
    If you want to build a race Slash I think your foundation should be with a LCG kit, STRC, Anza or Slice A3 or A4.
    That will really give you potential for all the other goodies to fall into place. Tires are very important, if they don't hook up then all goes to waste to apply the power and handling!

Piece by piece gets my vote, but I am a bad judge of rc finances sometimes... Really try to add everything up both ways. If you are building the truck all at once, piece by piece may be better. If you want to drive it as you upgrade part by part, buying an rtr may be best. If you want to stay with a stock chassis, then a roller or rtr may be a good choice. I know when I built my Evil Bandit, I started by buying an xl1 roller. After the car was finished, I had 2 working Bandits. I should have went piece by piece, it would have cost much less, even after selling the second bandit...
    Last edited by rag6; 06-08-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    hey guys i chaecked out the strc's lcg conversion but was woundering what it looks like installed and what the benifits and disivantiages it has for a racing slash?

i would probable start building peice by peice in a couple months what im going to do is build in sections so it would be the front,rear,tires/shell than chassis when i decide witch one to do as far as a slash or rustler chassis. but as that the time it will take me to get the parts and compleate it . it will make a snail look as fast as an xo-1 lol

for class setup i was thinking stock brushed then straight to mod (depends what the local tracks run)

thanks guys