RC poster

Hobbywing EZRUN Combo SC8 120A & 4065 2700kv

Is anyone running this combo on there emaxx? I want to upgrade to a brushless and this seems to be what alot are talking about on the forums. I dont know alot about RC stuff but i am learning i have tore my maxx down to nothing and went through the whole thing. No i burnt up a motor so im looking to go brushless, I have the 3903 emaxx.

I have also looked at the MM but its a bit to expensive, i could go that route but would rather put the money into other upgrades.

So basically im looking for someone who is running this so i can see what there thoughts are on it.

RC Qualifier
    I used to run that system in my old 3906 before upgrading it to a 3908. When I swapped out the chassis & transmission I dropped in a CC Mamba Monster system. I started with the SC8 to save money. It works great and I had a lot of fun with it. I didn't have enough to buy a new MM system so I bought the ESC and motor separately on eBay. It's a big jump in price but it was totally worth it.

RC poster
    So what did you have to change to get it to work? DId you change the gearing or anything? or can i just put it in and run it?

RC poster
    I'm doing an upgrade right now. I bought the hobbywing 150a and tacon 2150 motor. I'm still waiting on my new transmission, center cvds and a few other parts but i have the chassis upgraded. I wanted to upgrade to brushless and couldnt justify the extra money when the reviews on these were so good. I have not ran it yet, due to parts still coming in but i'll be sure to let you know how it runs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky90 View Post
    So what did you have to change to get it to work? DId you change the gearing or anything? or can i just put it in and run it?
    I don't recall changing the gearing. Other than going through the setup procedure for the SC8, it should work without any problems. The one thing I didn't like was the lack of motor heat sink/fan. I'm sure it'd be easy to find one that would fit.

RC Qualifier
    I tried the SC8 2700 in my 3906 yesterday. All I can say, AWESOME!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ah, the good old days with the 3906. I melted more drive shafts that I care to remember. I recently modified a spare rear drive shaft from my 3908 and cut it down to fit my son's 3906. It's survived every bashing session since then.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GaiginRC View Post
    Ah, the good old days with the 3906. I melted more drive shafts that I care to remember. I recently modified a spare rear drive shaft from my 3908 and cut it down to fit my son's 3906. It's survived every bashing session since then.
    I broke a couple shafts before upgrading to MIP/Traxxas CVD's. The stockers just couldn't hold up to BL power.

RC poster
    I've got all the plastic shafts replaced with metal. The only concern i'm having is if i made a mistake buying the new model chassis instead of the flm. My front and rear diffs/arms/towers/ect are all alum and i think the weight might cause that chassis to break.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87burb View Post
    I've got all the plastic shafts replaced with metal. The only concern i'm having is if i made a mistake buying the new model chassis instead of the flm. My front and rear diffs/arms/towers/ect are all alum and i think the weight might cause that chassis to break.
    If it breaks you can always order the FLM.

RC Competitor
    Resurrected.

How's this work out, I have the wp sc8 and 4065 2700kv motor haven't ran it yet I'm waiting for my Lipo ( only a 5ooomah 2s ) I'm hoping it will start me off I thought get 2s lipos and double up for 4s.

The problem is I've seen afew comments saying 120amp esc isn't good enough for this motor, which i don't understand since its a set combo. Should I worry I have it in a slash 14/56 gears 32p.

Also if anyone knows where a how2 guide/video is to set up the esc for the 1st time is I would really appreciate it. Its also my 1st esc so the more basic the guide the better I don't want to be googling experienced terms every other minute lol, I don't have a programme card neither so will have to do it manually I have the booklet but ide prefer a step by step I can watch and follow.

I'm glad to see people are using this combo in the monsters so it should be an animal in my sla2sh lol. Stock drive shafts too having the protrac fitted I think means mips are out the question but seen the slash4x4 drive shafts are stronger so may go with them and alloy yokes. If that's the right term.

RC Qualifier
    It should work out Great!!! Here's a video I found on YouTube of the Slash 4x4 on 2s with your combo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJZd9StW4E There are a few more on 3s and 4s, just do a search for "slash 2700 kv sc8" and they'll pull up.

As far as gearing you could ask the folks on YouTube. If you don't get an answer just start with what you have and gear up or down from there. 2s, 3s, and 4s will have different gearing but with 2s you should be able to gear it very high with no worries. Just keep an eye on the temps .

I didn't have to program my SC8. If you decide you need to program yours it's best to have two people. One counts the beeps and the other person programs the ESC with the throttle trigger on the radio.
    The one thing you'll have to do is calibrate the radio to the ESC. Just follow the manual and again it's best to have two people. It's pretty easy once you've done one.

It's Gona Be An ANIMAL!!!

very good combo you picked for the emaxx and i can only imagine how it is in your slash being that its lighter i couldnt see you running a 4s in the slash with this combo if you did say good by to the wheels LOL and the rest of your slash too fast and too much power.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    Hey Spanky90, I am running a HW SC8 in my E-maxx and a Tacon 2150kv motor. I am using stock gearing (17t/68t) and my truck flies. I am running 4s batteries and I have plenty of power, temperatures are cool and not problems so far. I have upgraded CVD's all the way around, so I'm not sure if stock ones will be powerful enough. I think you made a good choice, let us know hos it goes.

RC Qualifier
    I have the hobbywing 150a and tacon 2150 motor and it is fast motor is cool on stock gearing

RC Racer
    What is the best place to buy the sc8 combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Crzyjeff View Post
    What is the best place to buy the sc8 combo?
    Pm coming with a place ok and a discount.

RC Racer
    Opinions on the leopard 2700kv motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Crzyjeff View Post
    Opinions on the leopard 2700kv motor?
    what size is it? like 4074, 3674 those will work. with a higher KV motor it spins faster therefore creats more heat and you have to gear down a little more than you would with say a 2000, 2200 kv motor. the leopard 2700 should be able to work.

RC Racer
    Last edited by Crzyjeff; 12-02-2012 at 10:42 PM.

that one would work but your limited to i think its 4s lipo

this would be better suited and you wouldnt have to gear down so much
    http://www.helipal.com/leopard-lbp40...ess-motor.html
    4-5s max
    or these 2: http://www.helipal.com/leopard-lbp40...ess-motor.html
    6s max-similar to the motor i linked to you in pm
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 12-02-2012 at 11:18 PM.

RC Racer
    What type of gear setup would I need if I went with a 2700kv motor?

Start with stock gearing for a 3908 or 3903 converted to brushless which is 17/68 try that out first and check temps after a good 5min run if all is fine and you don't see temps on the motor around 140-160 then your OK but if its around there then reduce gearing down to like 14 pinion then each should be for me no more than 140* to be safe so you won't have to be worried all the time your running near limits.