RC poster

Cleaning Your RC

Okay guys i bought a Rustler used from craigslist, and i love it! Only thing that bothers me is how dirty it is. I know this should be an easy fix but i just dont want to screw anything up.. What process do you go through when you clean your rc? What do i need to be extra careful with? How often?? Just give me any tips you got on cleaning and caring for your RC..

Thanks in advance!

RC Champion
    Best thing to use is denatured alcohol. Be carefull with the electronics. Best thing to do is get a waterproof RX box and waterproof servos. Once its clean, keep it that way. Use compressed air to blow the dust off. If everything has been waterproofed. You can spray it off with a hose. Just re-lube your bearings with some WD-40 when done. Just dont get water in the engine and you will be fine.

RC poster
    How can I waterproof the servos and rx box?

replace them with traxxas 2075 servos and the rx box get the electric rustler rx box. both great upgrades for the nitro rustler/nitro pede/nitro sport as well.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Fastrax Nitro Power Blast Car Cleaner works great. One left on ebay!!

RC Racer
    Everyone has their own ways to clean their cars. I use a diluted mix of water and Simple Green. I have a 25 milometer spray bottle that i fill half with Simple Green and the other half with water to equal a 50/50 mix. Then I use my air compressor to dry my rc car off with. I usually remove my wheels and wash them separately with a lil liquid soap and water with a scrub/fingernail brush and try not to get any water in through the holes on the back side of the wheels...or just use a lil bit of tape to plug the holes while cleaning them. To make sure that nothing rusts, I bring the car in the house and put it on a shelf or somewhere out of the way where its warm and dry just to be sure that everything dries overnight. A buddy of mine uses the same method that I use be he goes an extra step an sprays his rc cars with WD-40 and blows it completely dry with an air compressor. His cars are always shiny and looking new every time. Dont forget to wash your air filter element in liquid soap and water, dry it out, then spray it with WD-40 and squeeze out any excess and replace it back into the filter.

Just a lil side note... The "WD" in WD-40 stands for water displacement. That being said you can be rest assured that no water is going to get into your engine provided that you dried the air filter element completely. Also you can use WD-40 as an alternative for after run oil and Traxxas actually recommends it. Spray a quick shot in through the glow plug hole and open the slide valve on the carburetor a quick shot down the carburetor throat, then with the glow plug still removed, turn the flywheel a couple turns. The re-install the glow plug and put the air cleaner back on. Good to go for the next time. Traxxas recommends cleaning the air filter element about every hour of run time. Also... to prolong the life of your one way bearing. Remove it from under your easy start or pull start and soak it in denatured alcohol for a few hours (usually found at hardware stores), then soak it in "Marvel Mystery Oil"(usually found at auto parts stores). Then re-install the one way bearing making sure that the lettering faces the engine and re-install the easy start or pull start.
    Last edited by Monte_1977; 06-07-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC Champion
    I sure wish i had an air compressor, as thats the easiest to clean it with as far as i can see. Otherwise I have yet to take the time to fully clean it.
    Land of the free?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorStuff View Post
    I sure wish i had an air compressor, as thats the easiest to clean it with as far as i can see. Otherwise I have yet to take the time to fully clean it.
    same here looking at harbor frieght compressors at getting one just for air my tires up on my car when needed, bikes, and for sure cleaning my rc up faster. i spend sometimes about 2hrs cleaning or more.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    same here looking at harbor frieght compressors at getting one just for air my tires up on my car when needed, bikes, and for sure cleaning my rc up faster. i spend sometimes about 2hrs cleaning or more.
    I bought the central pneumatics 25 gallon one there at a tent sale this morning. It's a bit loud, but is oilless so I can't complain.

RC Competitor
    i love wd-40. water repellant and decent lubricator. last time i cleaned my rusty i lubed my bearings with some hoppes gun oil that i have, my front wheels dont stop spinning now lol
    -Nitro Rustler 2.5 w/ Jato tuned Resonator

RC poster
    I use my compressor to blow the heavy stuff off after that I use silicon spray to clean with. The silicon helps keeping anything from sticking to the car which makes cleaning it after a run easier and it also displaces water.

RC Champion
    Hoppes gun oil is probably the best stuff for bearings. I worked at a paintball feild and we used that stuff to lube the rental guns. The guns would get soaked in the rain and still cycle fine. If you know anything about paintball guns, that says allot. Simple green is also another thing to stock up on. I use a 70/30 simple green/ water mix, a few different brushes and paper towels. If you can do the work at a sink it will make life easier. If not, just fill up some buckets, one with hot soapy water and one with hot water for rinsing parts. I take the truck mostly apart. If your not taking the truck apart, your not getting all the crud out. I spent 8 hours cleaning and working on the rustler roller I just bought and it sold real fast. It looked great cause I put all the time in it and it payed off in a big way. I only spent 1/2 hour cleaning up my slash and it shows. When you clean your tires, use simple green and brush. The harder you scrub, the more happy you will be later on. Simple green and scrubbing will open up the pores in the rubber making the tire a tiny bit softer adding traction on most surfaces. Don't soak them in hot water, it will weaken the glue. When the tires are clean and rinsed, spray them with wd40, believe it or not, this will also open up those pores in the rubber. Let the wd40 sit there on the tire but wipe it off the rim. Trust me on these tire tips. After a cleaning, the bite my tires have is amazing. For the body, don't use windex! Windex is very hard on plastic and will make it appear scratched up. I know we want the clear windows to be super clear but windex is not what you want. Warm soapy water is the best way to go. Dish soaps with moisturizers can leave streaks so get the cheap stuff with out it. If you use paper towels on the body, don't scrum hard, lightly wipe. Paper towels can have the same effect as sand paper. After the body is clean, you can put a little of that hoppes oil or other light oil on a rag and wipe the body down. It will give a nice shine but can attract dirt. This is good for photos and showing it off but not really for keeping it clean. The oil trick also works great on anodized parts. Theres millions on tips that can be added to this thread. Lets keep this one going. I know i'm forgetting a bunch but I been awake for too many hours now so ill get back to you guys later.
    Shaggy...

RC Champion
    Oh yeah, save any old or bad fuel for cleaning engine parts.
    Shaggy...

RC Competitor
    Shaggy, i believe it. this stuff works awesome. I saw how well my guns would cycle on it so i started using it for everything else lol, including RC. i oil up the action on my shotgun and it just turns into butter, same with all my other guns and everything else. love it.

RC poster
    The Simple Green works really well to get exshaust residue cleaned up. We use it to get oilfield drilling mudd and pipe dope off of our communications equipment when it returns from the field. Neither the mudd nor the pipe dope come off of anything very well and it will stain anything it gets on. Car wash soap also works really well which is what I use to clean my bodies with.

RC Competitor
    lol what is pipe dope? just build up?

RC Qualifier
    Thread sealant

RC poster
    Pipe Dope is a sticky petroleum compound kinda like grease used to seal the threads on drilling pipe. Drilling mudd is not mud from dirt but a petroleum product that is pumped down the hole to keep pressure at bay so the well doesn,t blow out. Both products are very nasty when it comes to cleaning things that either of them have gotten on.

RC Competitor
    oh i gotcha. sounds like some rough stuff. its got a funny name tho for sure

RC Qualifier
    WD-40 is ultamate, use 3 in 1 oil to aid moving parts
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Champion
    I work at a gas station right now and we just got this new cleaner called element 7 (could be wrong). I really want to try it on my trucks. I think it will work great. Today I used it for everything from unclogging a drain to cleaning my shoes lol
    Shaggy...

RC Racer
    when i go to cleen mine i take the electronics. the motor and gas tank out then presherwash the sumbuck. works realy well. at the butcher where i work we use a clorine based soap wich atacks grease. the besst part is it take about 45 seconds to do it.
    aluminum for ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC poster

Cleaning Your RC

If you buy a used rc car, or you just have used a rc car for a long time, you need to clean it. Debris can clog gears and minimize your rc cars performance. I recommend cleaning your rc car every other month if you drive it indoors, or every 2 weeks if you drive it outdoors. I will teach you how to clean a rc car how most rc junkies do.
    You Will Need:
    RC Motor Cleaner Spray
    GooGone
    Toothpaste
    screwdriver
    Last edited by Double G; 01-17-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: content