RC Qualifier

slash brake problem

I got my son a slash recently.the 2wd version.and having problems with brakes.they work a little bit but not very much.i called traxxas and we re programed the truck and radio.but still hardly any brakes takes about at least 8-10ft to stop.I'm thinking theres something wrong with the motor.i took the spur gear off and when I turn the motor by hand it doesnt spin freely theres a point where it binds a little.are they supposed to spin smooth and free??it seems to be starting to make the spur and pinion gears to get bad.thanks

RC Champion
    Motors have magnets in them that keep them from spinning freely. Make sure your gear mesh is set properly. You might be able to use your throttle trim to help. Move the trim knob into reverse to the point it almost moves in reverse, then try the braking to see if it helps. Brakes are not that strong w traxxas 2pole motors.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
    Motors have magnets in them that keep them from spinning freely. Make sure your gear mesh is set properly. You might be able to use your throttle trim to help. Move the trim knob into reverse to the point it almost moves in reverse, then try the braking to see if it helps. Brakes are not that strong w traxxas 2pole motors.
    yeh I did mesh the gears with a piece of paper.I'll try the throttle trim.whats a little better motor to get??hes not running lipos right now.

RC Champion
    Castle motors are popular, but youll prolly need lipos to run them and a different esc. Traxxas esc wont run 4pole motors. The 3800kv motor with a sidewinder esc is pretty popular and is around $120 I think.
    Last edited by Dr.J; 06-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Racer
    The 2wd ones need a little more stopping distance. Just how it is.

RC Qualifier
    adjust the brake percentage, or reset the radio
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.