RC Racer

Slash questions...

Hey guys! Its been a while since I was interested in RC's... I jut recently got a 1:8th scale sct from a rival company... But anyways... Just looking for a short course basher for my little brother and was choosing between the 2wd drive slash or the 4wd one. Keep in mind both will be the vxl versions and be running 2s lipos.
    My question is how tough box stock the 2wd slash compared to the 4wd one? I'll be keeping her box stock for a while and don't really want his track days to end before actually finishing the pack.

Or should I just go for the 4wd? Thanks!
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    They both have weaknesses. If you dont mind doing more maintenance, go for the 4wd.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    I dont have a 4wd to compare but I race my 2wd sometimes. They have a slash novice race and I have never seen a truck takesuch a beating.I have seen other 2wd sct's brake on the second lap while the slashes run race after race on stock parts.

RC poster
    im new to rc (again) havent raced in prob 15 years and just got a 2wd slash and all i can say is wow,thses take such a beating. some of my friends run 4wd ones and they can take a beating also but i see them messing with there trucks more, def more maint on the 4wd but the 4wd one is easier to drive on a track, you actually have to drive the 2wd , 4wd is more of a point and shoot driver

RC Racer
    Thanks guys. Glad to know that these slash's can take a beating. I have an emaxx that broke almost everytime I run it an that honestly pushed me away from traxxas a little bit.

It's really good to know these can take a beating in stock form tho!

What are the weaknesses if you guys don't mind me asking?
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Qualifier
    no way stock parts will take beating, i ran on a curb at 15 mph and my cblocks and hub carriers broke, if u see slash getting beaten up than they have RPM part. NO TRAXXAS PARTS WILL TAKE beating and there are exceptions like alum casterblocs made by traxxas

90% of my Traxxas parts take a beating, and have taken a beating for years and years. Really dont understand the "no traxxas parts will take a beating" comment.

I have owned both, so...

2wd-
    any plastic C-blocks stink, use aluminum.
    The rear chassis mount to the shock tower breaks pretty often(though not for me in many years). A proline chassis saver will build up that area cheaply.
    The stock ft skid is known to flex and let the bell crank posts pop out of their beds in the chassis. This can be fixed by an aftermarket skid plate if you have that problem(again never happened to me).
    The stock spur gear is problematic. It is designed in a bowl shape, and can flex under heavy power, be unevenly mounted to the slipper, not perfectly meshed, etc... A 32p gear conversion (about the same price as the stock 48p gears) will make it easier to mesh the gears and are much less flexible.
    The stock bearing carriers can snap when you do something stupid and hit immoveable objects. Replace with rpm.
    In fact, most complaints about parts breaking are rooted in the belief that these machines should be able to take hits to solid objects, when in reality, driver error and neglect is usually the cause. Drive it like you paid for it, or be ready to fix it. Replace what breaks with rpm, and the truck gets stronger than the already strong stock config.

4wd-
    Very durable truck
    The only three issues I had were
    1 The center bearing seized, and melted the plastic bearing support within minutes(defective bearing imo). Many get an alum bearing support, and bigger bearing, but I just got a high quality bearing and new plastic support and everything has been fine.

2 The plastic rear bearing carriers are known to fail often(again, mostly driver error). replace with rpm or alum if they break.

3 The maintenance involved with running this truck in the dirt is about 4 times the amount of maintaining the 2wd. Even know the 4wd is easier to break down, after all the tear downs and builds I have done, I would rather drive than wrench.

Just my $0.98.

RC Competitor
    I have a slash 2wd and slash 4x4 with a mamba monster 2200 kv and when i had the 4x4 with a vxl i never had to change bearings and still haven't or even changed oil in the diffs. The slash 4x4 is way better than my 2wd for sure get the slash 4x4. Just my opinion. Hope that helps

RC Champion
    2wd is more durable because of less parts to break and 2wd is easier to work on when and if you have to work on it.

I think the 4wd is easier to work on and the 2wd requires much less work... go figure.

RC Racer
    A starter that requires less maintenance the 2wd is the way to go . Like was said 4x4 has alot more maintenance . I have to disagree with the Traxxas stuff always breaks out of the box the slash is one of the most durable RC around . You will break parts and most will upgrade parts as they do . Of the the 4 Traxxas RC's I have - no parts broke that were not caused by a lapse in reason or running out of talent . Upgraded parts are better but stock is as strong as any stock part/truck . I have loads of upgrades on them - but the stock parts were far from a wine glass rolling .

And Rag6 the 4x4 is easier to work on because you have taken it apart more
    Last edited by Kansei; 06-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.

I think its because the 4x4 was designed to be pulled apart quickly. Slipper adjustment is a pain in the donkey on the 4x4's though. Much easier on the 2wd.

i have both.
    the 4x4 i got 2 days ago but anyways...
    the 4x4 has amazing handling and very fun and doesnt lose traction but i have already broke front arms and replaced with rpm, the wheels stay on the ground

the 2wd i have is brushed but i have had it for just over a year no repaires needed and its still completley stock
    im not sure what tthe venilon will do in it but im sure you will get lots of wheelies and you get terrible handling