RC Racer

Anyone running a GoPro. where to mount?

Is there any consensus on where to mount it? I know that the CoM makes the most sense but that means it's on the hatch and I'm afraid the extra stress is going to make it come off more than it already does.

So what works for you?

RC Racer
    I mounted mine on the hatch. Haven't had any problems with the hatch coming off.

RC Racer
    cool I was worried about that..

RC Qualifier
    you need to put it at the COG center of gravity on your boat for best results i have found that right in front of the hatch is best for mine it may be different for yours
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    you need to put it at the COG center of gravity on your boat for best results i have found that right in front of the hatch is best for mine it may be different for yours
    I know in concept it belongs at the Center of mass/center of gravity (actually I'm a mechanical engineer), but the center of gravity is most likely inside the hull. Since we can't mount the camera inside the hull we have to choose the balance point between the bow and the stern. The weight of the camera will also change the center of gravity (top heavy). How does this affect the turning?

RC Racer
    You should not have a problem. Mount it just behind the windshield, at the high point of the hatch. There are plenty of videos on you tube with camras mounted in this spot. Including mine. I have a link to it in the video sextion above.

Hears the link.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Video-Gallery
    Last edited by breeze400; 06-06-2012 at 01:14 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Take a look at my video I posted a week or so ago. My GoPro was mounted in front of the windshield. It didn't affect the handling much at all. I certainly would not mount it to the hatch.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Spartans-video

Carmen

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfire427 View Post
    Take a look at my video I posted a week or so ago. My GoPro was mounted in front of the windshield. It didn't affect the handling much at all. I certainly would not mount it to the hatch.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Spartans-video

Carmen
    Can you tell us why?

RC Competitor
    Also you have to remember that in a deep-v you want all the weight 27-30%. Putting the camera way up front, way in back, or on top of the hatch would be a problem.

RC Champion
    Where you mount the GO Pro camera is only temporary, I prefer to mount the camera to the hatch and then I can mount the camera to any one of my three Spartans by just changing hatches. I have spare hatches and when the camera is not in use I just use a hatch with out camera mount.
    But where ever you mount your camera you need to to reposition the batteries accordingly to compensate for the additional camera weight.
    The Go Pro will make the boat a little top heavy and add some wind resistance, so if doing some real high speed runs, use caution unless you just want to take an underwater view.
    I tape the hatch as needed to assist in keeping the hatch on because the camera adds wind resistance and can pull on the hatch.

Now go and ........
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    What do you guys do to protect the camera from flying off?
    Xo-1
    Pede 4x4 PE - Slash 4x4 PE
    Miss Geico Boat

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOMBER View Post
    Can you tell us why?
    Quite simple really. The hatch is the weakest part of the boat, not to mention, it is also the highest point which can affect the lateral stability of the boat. In the event of a high speed spill, which is inevitable, when the impact of the water hits the camera, there is a very good chance the hatch will be torn right off the boat. If the hatch is taped down, the torsional load may break the plastic hatch where the GoPro mount is held on. Make sure you use the orange GoPro floaty back on the camera or you could be in for some scuba diving.

RC Champion
    The GoPro camera mounts have a very good adhesive on them and do not come off very easy. They stay mounted to helmets, cars, planes and from personal experiance, off road vehicals, motorcycle fenders and dune buggys and have not lost one yet.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    I've got one on my Spartan hatch, and also on my T Maxx. I haven't had problem one! I plan on putting it on the bow of my DONZI, and my F-1000 cat.