RC Racer

Castle Creations Sidewinder SV2 help

Hey guys,
    I just got my sidewinder sv2 in the mail along with the 5700kv 4 pole 1406 motor. awesome system. lots of torque. but my worry is about the esc. it gets hot, or i should say warm really fast and easily. it has thermal shutdown, so its safe, but it gets warm even if im not driving. i dont know if this is normal, but it got warm just now when i programmed the esc manually through the transmitter. it works perfectly fine, no problems other than this. i am going to try to get a fan and increase air flow to the esc, but any ideas? I just want to make sure i can get it replaced if need be. Thanks guys!
    edit: also, after the first time i programmed the esc, when i turn the esc off, the motor acts like it has brakes applied. it is difficult to push the truck, after the esc is off. if i unplug the esc wires to the motor, the motor is free again. is this normal either? Thanks!
    edit:...again haha but the braking effect mentioned above has actually gone away here after a few minutes. maybe the esc retains some voltage after running in the capacitors or something. so nvm about that, but the heat issue is still here
    Last edited by nebulous.cow; 06-05-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Many of us have seen the Sidewinder get hot in a Rustler. The most common fix is to mount a fan on the ESC and make sure you are not over gearing it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I have one in my sons slash..It got hot but never shut down. He installed a fan and it runs much cooler now. I called Castle on this a while ago and they said it was normal for the esc to run warmer than the other ones. but not so hot as to shut off.. Call Castle before you fry it completely.

I forgot to ask.. what battery are you running. The Sidewinder is not made for running over 2S lipo's..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    im using a 3s lipo, im running the sidewinder sv2, not the original one. and my motor can handle 3s also. i double checked that the system can handle 3s. it says on the side of the system, 3 cell or 8 cell nimh, and 15v max. but on the first run where i had the shutdown, it was wayy over geared, but i fixed that. it was for speedruns. but it still gets warm by itself... odd. well thanks for the info!

The SV2 gets hot on 2s I imagine you are really pushing it's limits running it on 3s. I would be mounting a fan ASAP.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

HR sells a fan for the SV2 btw... Id go for that action.

Funny thing. Never had an issue with my original Sidewinder getting hot on 2S. IMO it getting hot even when ur not running, is definatly an issue,and id reach out to the manuf.

Also... It shouldnt be difficult to push ur truck when its off. U got binding issues, and I bet thats one reason ur ESC is cooking so much. U got some binding somewhere. Start eliminating points of failure. Easiest and first. Disconnect the motor from the driveline, and see if it still is difficult to push. It shouldnt be to hard at all... Not with that size of motor. A 2200kv would be a different story.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 06-05-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Enthusiast
    I have the SV2 with 5700kv combo like you. I just got it three weeks ago maybe. I am running a Venom 8 Cell Nimh, 90T spur and 16T pinion without issue.
    Check your settings on the speed control. One of the options with that speed control is to apply braking anytime you let off of the throttle. It does not default to do that, but if you are programming it not using the Castle link or the programming card and have instead programmed it using the Radio option, you may have accidentally activated the automatic braking. Try reprogramming it for "freewheel" when the throttle is off and see what you get then.

Quote Originally Posted by nukkinfuttz View Post
    I have the SV2 with 5700kv combo like you. I just got it three weeks ago maybe. I am running a Venom 8 Cell Nimh, 90T spur and 16T pinion without issue.
    Check your settings on the speed control. One of the options with that speed control is to apply braking anytime you let off of the throttle. It does not default to do that, but if you are programming it not using the Castle link or the programming card and have instead programmed it using the Radio option, you may have accidentally activated the automatic braking. Try reprogramming it for "freewheel" when the throttle is off and see what you get then.
    This is called "drag brake" and it can indeed raise motor temperatures, but I'd wager that the 3S pack is the main culprit.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    Hey guys,
    I just got my sidewinder sv2 in the mail along with the 5700kv 4 pole 1406 motor. awesome system. lots of torque. but my worry is about the esc. it gets hot, or i should say warm really fast and easily. it has thermal shutdown, so its safe, but it gets warm even if im not driving. i dont know if this is normal, but it got warm just now when i programmed the esc manually through the transmitter. it works perfectly fine, no problems other than this. i am going to try to get a fan and increase air flow to the esc, but any ideas? I just want to make sure i can get it replaced if need be. Thanks guys!
    edit: also, after the first time i programmed the esc, when i turn the esc off, the motor acts like it has brakes applied. it is difficult to push the truck, after the esc is off. if i unplug the esc wires to the motor, the motor is free again. is this normal either? Thanks!
    edit:...again haha but the braking effect mentioned above has actually gone away here after a few minutes. maybe the esc retains some voltage after running in the capacitors or something. so nvm about that, but the heat issue is still here
    SV2 is garbage..you have to gear way to low for it to be worth anything..this is a flop on Castles part...i love my version 1 sidewinder SCT in my slash and the one in my rusty too.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTMAXX86 View Post
    SV2 is garbage..you have to gear way to low for it to be worth anything..this is a flop on Castles part...i love my version 1 sidewinder SCT in my slash and the one in my rusty too.
    Well it's too funny that you are claiming that the differences between the Sidewinder SCT and the Sidewinder SV2 extend further than the stickers applied to the case and the motors they are bundled with. Because those are the only differences.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    i fixed the problem with the "binding". it wasnt anything, but i think my esc was somehow connecting the wires internally or something. but thats all gone now, so forget that! I have reprogrammed it a number of times, and there is no drag brake. i even lowered the timing for lower temps, but i havent tested it yet. i think i will go for the fan for it, cus that sounds like a good thing to try. the thing is, i used to use the velineon system in this rustler, and it would run way cooler. even when i had it geared 31/76 for speed runs. Im not out for top speed, but what i want is a programmable esc and a more torquey motor, for like offroad and bashing. im going to check my buddies sct sidewinder combo to see if it gets hot, but he has a bandit, so idk if theres any difference that could affect temps or anything. but now im geared 28/86, my previous setting for speedy bashing. i will go down to 20/86 for more intense offroading or steep jumps and stuff. Thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    I highly recommend against that 28/86 on 3s battery. Your esc will be burning up.

EDIT:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf
    Last edited by joe831; 06-05-2012 at 11:43 PM.

I think the Sidewinder is not powerful enough to feed the 4 pole motors. They work perfect paired with a Mamba Max Pro. More expensive, but IMO more value per $.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    The Sidewinder should come with a fan for the motor. Many people have taken that fan, in its motor case and simply strapped it right onto the ESC. My friend and I have both done this on our Sidewinder SCT with 1410 3800kV 4-pole combos. The new models of the Sidewinder apparently have a built-in fan, so Castle eventually realized this ESC model needs one.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    i put another fan i had on the esc, and i will test it soon. im hoping it will work wonders! but the weird thing is i had the vxl 3s and it never fried, and i almost always ran it on 31/76, or the MAX gearing. i would do offroad and lots of crap with it, no heat problems! so, i don texactly understand. thanks!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Bottom line... You said the esc was heating up, even while just programming it. That is not normal. Period. Call castle and see if maybe they will fix or replace it.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    ok i emailed castle, and im waiting a response. Does it seem legit that just hooking the 3s lipo up to it could make it heat up? simply containing that voltage could cause some heat? The heat is more than barely noticeable, but not at all hot or a dangerous level. Im thinking the possibility that there is a short somewhere inside, but i dont wanna send it all the way out just for them to fix a tiny solder join in 5 seconds and have to send it ALL the way back.

RC Qualifier
    if you have a cooling fan and it is still over heating clearly you are doing some thing wrong either you're over gearing or not stopping for cooling time. If this dose not solve your issue send it back to castle theyre always there to help

RC Champion
    From my understanding after talking with Castle on the SV2 and the SCT esc's that I have the BEC is not the same as the Mamba series and the heat you are experiencing is from the esc trying to shed the excess voltage as heat. I wouldn't have purchased that esc if you were thinking of running 3s with it. You mentioned it was getting warm sitting still... I think the problem is the 3S battery, overgeared isn't helping either. The 5700 would be better suited to an 18/86 or something close to that.. You are way overgeared as far as I can tell. Try a cooling fan and see what happens. I don't run 3S on the Sidewinder series of esc only on the Mamba's and they will get warmer than normal.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Dont email castle, it can take a long time. Just call them directly...

RC Champion
    I ran an SV2 in my sons Truck.. I used Drag Brake to help control the Truck when he let off the throttle.. (hes 3 1/2 years old so I had to do it. lol)
    Anyway.. When I use a drag brake setting the Motor and speed controller get very hot and It kills batteries very quickly. I set the Drag brake to 0% and the heat when away.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    I installed a rather large fan over the top of the esc powered by 2 9v batteries. Its pushing alot of air through there, so im hoping for the best. Ill do more experimenting, and if the problems persist, i will contact castle via calling. I will actually probably get an 8cell nihm for some experimenting and water bashing, and that will probably reduce heat 2 fold. Thanks guys!

RC Qualifier
    I dont know if the sidewinder is water proof.....

RC Qualifier
    Didn't know what body you're using. I use a bandit body on mine and since they are tight to the chassis I cut some air slots in the body to let some air blow through. May not be relevant to your case at all but just a thought.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, cutting holes on the back of the body should help cooling the esc and motor. But as the op states, the esc gets warm even when not in use, I would call Castle because something may be wrong.

RC Champion
    ok i emailed castle, and im waiting a response. Does it seem legit that just hooking the 3s lipo up to it could make it heat up? simply containing that voltage could cause some heat? The heat is more than barely noticeable, but not at all hot or a dangerous level. Im thinking the possibility that there is a short somewhere inside, but i dont wanna send it all the way out just for them to fix a tiny solder join in 5 seconds and have to send it ALL the way back.
    They don't fix anything anymore. They verify a problem and replace with a new one. But their backlog has been pretty long recently.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Racer
    still, my point there was maybe its something so easy to fix i could do it. if its that easy, i would void the warrenty and do it. but if its more complex, then i could send it in. besides, today i ran it, no heat problems at all! that fan kept it around 100, and it worked out great! and i have holes cut in the body for airflow. but lol i need a new body... sooo many holes and scratches!

RC Qualifier
    If you send it in, the turn around time they claim is 5 weeks. I just sent my SV2 in and it took 6-7 weeks I think, but they said the SV2 was out of stock at that time, and they did send me a brand new one. If you bought it new, and it is less than 1 year old it is covered by warranty so I would send in if you could live without it for that long. Otherwise it's $40.

RC Racer
    $40? for what? the esc is 70$... or is that a repair cost?

RC Competitor
    I put a brand new sv2 in my 2wd slash that I waited for on back order for 5 week or so . Third battery pack of the day after letting it cool for an hour and it caught fire ! Melted it! They say 3s but I do not think they really can handle it. I really hope Castle makes it right, i mailed it back . I think I will be getting a Mamba Max Pro next

Please make sure the acronyms used are appropriate for all ages.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.

RC Champion
    I just got one back from castle.. It took 3 weeks. They were very nice and even called my to explain the hold up..

This sv2 just wouldn't come on one day.. No apparent reason.

I run 3s on my 2 SV2's exclusively.. However. One sv2 is in my sons truck (slash 4x4 with front drive removed). It's running a Kershaw 9L 2726kv 2 pole 550 sized brushless motor geared 9/54 (32 pitch).
    I have it geared for about 15 mph so there's really no amp draw from the ESC..
    My other sv2 is in my SCX10 Honcho trail truck. It's running a Traxxas 21t Titan 550 EMaxx brushed motor. Geared for about 12 mph top speed.
    I really think the key to a 3s setup on the sv2 is keeping amp draw low.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by madkawi650; 06-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    $40? for what? the esc is 70$... or is that a repair cost?
    Yes flat rate non-warranty repair cost

RC Racer
    really? thats interesting. i ran mine today, esc kept cool, and was hauling around 70 mph with 28/86! i was very surprised, and it was plenty torquy. to me, if you can keep your electronics cool, you can run it as hard as you want, BUT TO AN EXTENT, haha. i ran my vxl 3s on max gearing all the way up and it kept its cool. i even did some offroading with it. i will eventually get some 2s lipos and 8 cell nimhs. Thats my experience with it so far.

70 mph with 28/86??? What tires are you using?
    Last edited by Petertje60; 06-07-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Nobody is born with experience

must be about 7 in tall...

RC Racer
    well not 7 inches! thats wayy too big! but they might balloon that big haha proline street fighters! pretty big tires, nice and soft!
    edit: this is the 5700kv motor, and i was previously using the velineon 3500kv motor, so i thought logically how it would be faster.and it made sense. my gps said 67 yesterday.
    Last edited by nebulous.cow; 06-07-2012 at 09:13 AM.