RC poster

Traxxas EZ Peak Plus Noisy Fan

Greetings from Oz,(downunder)
    I bought 2 Emax's (3906) before the kids were born( 12 years ago).. the kids found them in the garage and started playing with them (the old batterys lasted 5mins) so i decied to buy another R/C( i have 3 kids) which was the traxxxas slash 4x4 ultimate with the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus charger..
    I have just recieved the package, plugged the NiMH battery which came with the car only to find a grinding sound comming from the fan in the charger.

I'm a little disapointed.

What are my options?
    ( if i send back its going to cost half of what i paid for the charger, and i wont be able to use the Slash)

Regs John

RC Qualifier
    Mine does the same thing, has since day one, over 6 months ago when they first came out. Never a problem working though. I have to use it constantly to keep my lipos and my son's going. I'm looking to upgrade to one that can do them a little faster, just haven't decided what to do. I just ignore it and go on. Does it just make the noise for the first 20 seconds or so? That's what mine does and then sounds fine.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by EmaxxChris View Post
    Mine does the same thing, has since day one, over 6 months ago when they first came out. Never a problem working though. I have to use it constantly to keep my lipos and my son's going. I'm looking to upgrade to one that can do them a little faster, just haven't decided what to do. I just ignore it and go on. Does it just make the noise for the first 20 seconds or so? That's what mine does and then sounds fine.
    Yeap only for a short period and then its fine.. But still its quite annoying straight out of the box.

Anyone else's have this problem?

Regs John

RC poster
    I just bought the EZ Peak Plus at my LHS. Was disappointed to find the fan bearing was 'chattering' from the beginning. Took it back & showed it to them. They exchanged it, no questions. Brought the 2nd one home and by its third use, is doing the same. Sad to see Traxxas product quality control this bad. Especially when the difference between a 'cheap' fan and a 'good' fan is maybe a few cents...on an item that the LHS sells for $100.

While it may not be a problem now, eventually the tolerances get bigger, and the chattering will eventually not go away. This means the fan doesn't spin as fast as it should and it will not keep things 'cool enough' and lead to premature failure. Given the cost of the charger, defective out of the box on multiple units really has me questioning anything Traxxas.

RC poster
    Yep, bought one new. Used it once without problem. Starting with the second use, the fan starts up noisy, and now it happens every use. After a few seconds, the grinding goes away. Annoying.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherjohng View Post
    Yep, bought one new. Used it once without problem. Starting with the second use, the fan starts up noisy, and now it happens every use. After a few seconds, the grinding goes away. Annoying.
    Easy fix. open the case and give the fan bushing a drop of oil.
    No different than motors with bushings. I made mine more accessible
    by drilling a small hole in the case inline with the fan shaft, allows me
    to lube it now and then without opening the case.