RC poster

Question Rally VXL LiPo VS NiMh

I want to get a Brushless Rally Electric Car (#7307) and would like to know how having two NiMh batteries compares to having one LiPo battery. More specifically, how would having two #2925 Batteries with a connector compare to having 1 #2823 battery? Thanks

Ever drive a 4-cylinder then a V8? Most people go with lipo if that is any indication. 2 nimh in series cause issues with the ESC but you can overcome that by using one 3s lipo.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    can you run a standard g20 540 motor on lipo's.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    To a motor, energy is energy... juice is juice... power is power.
    It does not care what chemistry it is coming from as long as it is getting it.
    (within specifications of the motor, of course)
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    im a beginner in the field, im gonna start next year with full force in competitions etc, i just wana know what would the best battery be for me to start up with. just run with nimh batterys for know or start to know the lipo type batteries. advice is apreciated very much...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you are going to start racing... check into what the track allows for the class you want to compete in. There may be battery limitations as far as voltage, chemistry, and even capacity.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Once you know what you're allowed to race with (hopefully they allow LiPo) it's best to jump in with both feet. If it's for yard fun and no-sanctioned racing, I'd go with LiPo from the start. I find that for the same capacity, LiPo batteries have been cheaper lately than NiMH.

RC Racer
    In addition to what ik632 said, lipos are just better in every way. Even with the same compacity, you get more performance from the lipo. A full lipo is strongest in the first minute or so, just like NiMH, but the difference after the initial power use, lipos settle into a power level and provide it until your ESC reaches shut-off voltage. NiMH just constantly fades to a crawl. The best NiMH batteries have a sharper power dump near the end of their capacity, but even the best doesn't compare to the cheaper lipo.

RC Racer
    Having said all that, LiPO are also more dangerous. If you puncture them they will catch on fire. If you over charge them (with the wrong charger) they will catch on fire.

Granted, they are very well protected in the chassis so you should be fine. It's important to know what happens if you mistreat them.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    To a motor, energy is energy... juice is juice... power is power.
    It does not care what chemistry it is coming from as long as it is getting it.
    (within specifications of the motor, of course)
    i dont want to pick on you jimmie but coming from the electrical side of me power isnt power per say( volts x amps)
    so if the motor needs 5 (either 5v x 1a =5 or 1v x 5a =5)--but each has diffrent rpm