RC Racer

Hello all, I'm new to the forum.

In addition to being new to the forum, I'm also new to the Spartan and RC Boats. I have 2 helicopters and have owned nitro cars. I've had my Spartan for two weeks and yesterday I took it out with two 3 cell Lipos. Wow what a difference. So other than batteries, what are must have upgrades?

Heres some pics:

RC Qualifier
    Wow, with the way you are flying the boat I would say the first thing is to add the lower set of trim tabs. Then you may want to consider some added cooling for the motor and ESC. After the cooling you may want to add a different prop as the plastic one does not usually hold up with 6S lipos. Search this forum as many of these upgrades have been discussed at length.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Wow, with the way you are flying the boat I would say the first thing is to add the lower set of trim tabs. Then you may want to consider some added cooling for the motor and ESC. After the cooling you may want to add a different prop as the plastic one does not usually hold up with 6S lipos. Search this forum as many of these upgrades have been discussed at length.
    Trim tabs maybe necessary but the lake was pretty choppy and I'm not surprised I got some lift. Add cooling? It comes water cooled. I checked the motor and ESC as well as batteries periodically and none of them seemed even warm.

RC Racer
    The up grades for your cooling system is cheep insurance believe me. A duel intake rudder and water outlet to run seporate lines for the motor and esc. A aluminum water jacket for your motor will stop a lot of water from coming into the boat. Stock one tend to leak. An extra set of tabs helps with the chine walking. If you run your boat hard it will warm up some!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by breeze400 View Post
    The up grades for your cooling system is cheep insurance believe me. A duel intake rudder and water outlet to run seporate lines for the motor and esc. A aluminum water jacket for your motor will stop a lot of water from coming into the boat. Stock one tend to leak. An extra set of tabs helps with the chine walking. If you run your boat hard it will warm up some!

Im going to order a few upgrade parts tonight. Is the Kintec Racing water jacket ant dual intake rudder any good? What diameter hose? How about their trim tab adjusters?

How do you hook up the dual cooling lines? Do I need to buy a second outlet?

So after thinking about it, one intake to the esc and one to the motor so I will need another outlet. Do you just drill another hole for the second line or is there a input manifold I need to get?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-06-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    get another water outlet or a twin water outlet. with dual rudder you run one to esc and out to outlet and the same to the motor side. i myself still have to get mine tun individually and i'm chosing the transom mounted water pickup. so far i have put an aluminum cooling jacket, and a 2nd set of trim tabs.

| Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    i think what you should do is attach some strong wings to the sides so it could be like one of those flying fish things.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    i think what you should do is attach some strong wings to the sides so it could be like one of those flying fish things.
    My questions were serious and frankly speaking your sarcasm is not helpful and no way to make friends. You may consider reading and learning rather than posting and detracting.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Man, lighten up. I think he was quite possibly smiling when he replied to your post. He, in my opinion, was not being sarcastic, just joking with you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    hey, i broke sumthing else

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by roughneckreed View Post
    Man, lighten up. I think he was quite possibly smiling when he replied to your post. He, in my opinion, was not being sarcastic, just joking with you.

Im trying to get help and I know from experience its very easy to get a thread off track. I know he thought it was funny, but to me its sidetracking my thread.

guys, lets keep this a friendly forum before it gets lock.

those are some awesome pictures!!!! did you by any chance got it on video?
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 06-04-2012 at 11:36 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    guys, lets keep this a friendly forum before it gets lock.
    Exactly lets get back on track. So from a cooling perspective, is a dual pick up rudder or a stand alone pick up (transom or hull mount) preferable? I saw a pick up that mounts to a trim adjuster in the photo thread. Anyone know where to get that?

check out this site, this is where i bought my aluminum cooling jacket and trim tabs.
    http://kintecracing.com/

RC Racer
    You can get most of the up grades from e bay. The water jacket is cheeper from kintec raceing. I'm running duel trim tabs with tab adjusters. Lots easer to adjust. They should be about 1 mm below the bottom. The hull is allready drilled out for the second outlet.. There is a tread on hear somewhere on how to find the holes using a flash light shining through the inside of the hull. Most people just run the second water inlet thru the hull by drilling a hole next to the oridgnial. I did not like that way of doing it. I went down to my lhs and bought two thru hull fittings for 2 bucks a piece. I have a duel water outlet I bought off e bay. You can run seporate outlets if you want. A little cheeper. my rudder came from e bay too.

RC Racer
    I apologize.

hey, i broke sumthing else

RC poster
    After talking to Traxxas about the cooling they said that people that expirence overheating with the new castel internals are not using the marine greese after each time they have it out. Something about w/o enough greese the shaft will have resistance and cause everything to work harder and get hotter? It makes since what do you guys thank I don't want to waist money if I don't have to would rather invest in more lipos. Also I saw on here where someone hooked up a pump to run the whole time even when the boat is not moving, does anyone have any idea what he did or used?

RC Racer
    Has I stated above upgrading your cooling system is cheep insurance! I greece my shaft every time I take the boat out. It just spins the lub off! My electronics get warm, not hot cause my boat is upgraded! Otherwise I'm sure it would overheat running 6s lipos! You have to consider the water temp of the body of water your running in too. Cold water no problem. Warm water you may have a problem! If spending $55 $60 versus a couple of hundred for new electronics is not a good idea, I don't know what is!

RC poster
    Good point so far I have ordered the jacket,extra trim tabs, trim tab adjusters, and the splash guard. I wanted to get the new rudder with duel inlets but I can not find the blue one for sale anywhere. Also when I do find it what size hose do I use?

RC Racer
    I ordered a water jacket, stock trim tabs, a dual intake rudder, dual outlet, transom fitting and a splash guard this AM. I had to split the order between Kintec and Benchmark RC. Benchmark was Johnny on the spot but Kintec let me down. Almost everything was back ordered despite the website showing in stock. If I knew that the stuff actually wasn't in stock, I would have bought more from Benchmark and saved on shipping. Not all was lost though. It seems my local hobby store can get stuff in two days and their price is the same as the internet.
    Last edited by THEBOMBER; 06-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.

RC poster
    Is benchmark rc on eBay?

RC Racer
    Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but I not have seen that ebay is cheaper than Benchmark RC or for that matter Kintec or my local dealer (admittedly he is low cost).
    Last edited by THEBOMBER; 06-05-2012 at 06:37 PM.

RC poster
    Never mind I have benchmark I thought he was a seller on eBay. What size hose do I need to order for the rudder?

RC Racer
    You can use the stock size hose or go a little bigger. I think I'm using 3 mm or 4. Hear is the item number For the rudder on e bay. 110892237406 Just put in Traxxas Spartan under eBay search. You will find it! And more!

RC Qualifier
    Have you tried OSE for the dual water pick-up? They have the stock now, as they sent me an update on the email 3days ago, go check t out the items goes fast.

RC Qualifier
    Just a heads up, running on choppy water and having the boat often grabbing air is hard on the flex shaft. The drive line unloads when out of the water, then loads hard when it hits back in.

If you run in those conditions often, you may want to consider upgrading to a .187 flex shaft or .078 wire drive.

hog