Thread: New drive strut

RC Qualifier

New drive strut

I just purchased a new Traxxas drive strut with stainless steel bearings for one of my boats. Their part no. is 5727X. Looking at the bearing it looks bigger then the struts that I installed bearings in. The only thing I can think of is that Traxxas opened the inside diameter of the strut and then installed the bearings. A bigger bearing should help carry the load. I bought the strut on e-bay for only $15.00. I could not even buy the bearings alone for this price. This is a great upgrade at a very low price.

RC Enthusiast
    Pictures and link.........or it never happened.

Carmen

RC Qualifier
    You are not supposed to use links on this forum. You can look this strut up as it is item # 290717178760 on e-bay. There are some good pics of it as well. I just ordered a second one for my other boat and there is one left for sale.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info SJS.... But there are none left.... Oh...I just ordered the last one

Hope it works as nice as it looks!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    awesome, looks like a nice upgrade!

RC Qualifier
    There are more of these struts available on e-bay. Item no. 270992463872

RC Qualifier
    I saw them, I think I will order one, probably good to have on hand in case the stock one goes. I guess this is an upgraded part made by traxxas?

Also, What kind of care do you think these BB struts require over the stock bushing version? Would you want to use marine grease or go with a bearing oil for the actual bearings? The flex shaft still needs grease, but I imagine the bearings would need oil?
    Last edited by jetnfast; 06-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The bearings are sealed and do not require any lube. Grease your flex shaft the same. You do not have to clean the strut anymore thus less work when servicing. I would change to the bearing strut and keep your bushing strut as a spare. Remember that a bearing has less friction and thus less load on your motor and greater speed for your Spartan.