RC poster

Is this a good deal - New member question

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to rc cars in general. My friend has a HPI savage and I've been using it with him for a little while so i decided to look into a car for myself. I was mainly looking into Off road electric and came across the Slash. At my local hobby shop it is 450 with tax, On kijiji my local classifieds i found a listing for em. The guy is selling a Slash 4X4 Platinum, with Stampeder wheels (Not absolutely sure if thats good) and a lipo battery, everything else as normal.
    Hes owned it for 1 year but says he hasnt used it a lot, the pictures make it seem great condition as well. His asking price is 300, Would you guys say this is a good deal? How bout the stampeder wheels? or recommend i buy the slash 4x4 brand new at my hobby shop. Also What are your thoughts on the 2WD Vs the 4wd for a beginner like me? Im gonna be doing bashing and some fun racing with my friend, nothing big. The 2wd is 200 at my local shop, Sorry for all the questions, just wanna be sure!

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Most 4x4s used are beat to ****. Just something to think about. More parts to break and replace also.

RC Champion
    It could be a good deal and you can fix a lot for $150. I haven't bought a 4wd yet so can't advise there. I do prefer the wider Stampede tires to the narrow Slash tires.

I've bought one new and two used 2wd trucks. I've learned a lot from fixing and upgrading the used ones. I do think you're on the right track looking at upgraded models like the platinum. The upgrades are worth it.
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 06-04-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    He said right now its running perfectly with no problems, but i will give him a call and ask what previous things broke or if there were any problems. Ill update you guys in a bit

RC Qualifier
    $275-$300 seems about right for a 4x4 model. Plus its the platinum. I prefer 2wd myself. But the 4x4 can pull through more challenging areas.
    Last edited by No One; 06-04-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    May i ask why you prefer the 2WD? My friend recommended 4x4 because i am a beginner, he also said it has much more pros then 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Easier maintenance mainly, less things to break. The 4x4 will be more drivable and is not a bad choice. It's a preference.
    Last edited by No One; 06-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    2wd you actually have to drive. Understeer/oversteer etc. 4x4 just point it in the right direction and give it has. Not as much fun IMO.

RC Qualifier
    I prefer 2wd, simply because it is lighter, better speeds, less maintenance(obviously less arts to break), agreed with a previous post, 4x4 is not fun to me, i started with 2wd and i will finish with it, i owned 4x4 and it was a nightmare, 2wd will go through anything 4x4 will go, except grass, pede tires are + for slash, i prefer not to again for the same reason, pede tires will give you better traction, better cornering, pede tires are big plus to grass terrain, i don't like them because its too easy for me to drive the truck. Its a preference, but i see more people liking 2wd then 4x4. platinum is a plus because of stock upgrades, although its a - to you because you don't learn anything from fixing it.

RC poster
    I seem to be getting many mixed answers, most here seem to prefer 2wd though my friends and local hobby shop say invest in the 4x4 no doubt! Im still not too sure, thanks for all the help so far! more opinions and input would be great as well

RC Racer
    Don't want to get stoned here but just picked up a losi T10 roller for 290 new and a new losi 4 pole 550 brushless motor that was a take off for another 40 on Saturday. Its a real nice rig and a good start. Still got my 2wd slash so I can race 2wd and 4wd now.

RC poster
    Nice, But quick question for everyon, Has there only been one model of the platinum and Ultimate Slash 4x4s? Or were there previous models with older motors

RC Racer
    As the original poster I am fairly new to this hobby. I chose the 2wd VXL because I figured that I will mostly be doing bashing and on road driving. The main reason I decided on 2wd, is because I figured it would be a pain to replace parts and or repair. I find it enjoyable to perform maintanence and upgrades to the truck, but with all the front end parts I have had to replace on 3 slash trucks if I had 4wd trucks the parts cost would be ,uch higher. The first run my daughter destroyed a rear carrier, the next day my son destroyed a control arm and pin on the front of his. Imagine what damage a 4wd would have sustained to the drivetrain in the front end impacts? That is why I made my choice. you can also try towerhobbies.com they have discount codes and promotions all the time.
    Last edited by mml665; 06-04-2012 at 09:36 PM.

RC Champion
    2wd= cheaper, more durable, less maintenance, and you will learn more control.

RC poster
    Thankyou for all the help guys! I ended up going with the Slash 4x4 and ive been using it all day.

Thanks!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Did you buy new, or the platinum for 300? A good running plat(with radio) for 300 is a very good deal. Even better if it includes a battery and charger.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???