Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Whats your build to play ratio? Mines 90/10.

I got so caught up in my build that i forgot that it's meant to be played with.

Dyed the chassis, esc and rockers black. De-anodized and polished the motor can, bulkhead plates, wheel extenders and motor mount. I also got fancy with the wiring(mesh wire shroud with clear shrink tubing) and threw a tail devil on the back to prevent my wing from getting chewed up by the asphalt and to spark up my wheeliez! Just dropped in new rear and center diffs, got some new gpm silver shocks(working great so far) and a ******* 390 metal gear servo. Next I have to drill the holes in my fresh beetle lid. Not the best looking merv on this forum but it sure was fun to build. Whats your build/fix to running ratio. 90/10 for me.

RC Qualifier
    That car is beautiful please tell me how u got the moor silver.. And where u got the wire covers..
    Mine is prolly 96/4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    With my MERV: about 20% build/maintenance 80% fun
    With my 10th scale Summit: until it is "complete" about 90% build 10% fun
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Recently it's been 80% build/20% fun. soon to change, though!

RC Qualifier
    Does any one know how to safley remove that blue color from the motor can? and do you have to take the can off in order to safley do it? and what is that covering the wires..
    i said the other day i was going to rebuild my car with a complete black and chrome look.. but the motor was gonna sick out cause it was blue and i didnt know you could make it chrome like that

RC Qualifier
    This might help jhsmith:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=mirror+motor

My ratio has been about 99/1...I'm so busy with work and I spend the majority of my free time with my almost 3yr old daughter. Have a boy on the way too so it may be more like 99.999/.0001
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Qualifier
    Nice thread!
    For me its probably 33/33/33: Build/Play/Oogling other MERVs, parts and ideas on the interwebs.
    At least i try to get that ratios..

@mikey: Incredible work on that wiring. Coolest I have seen so far.

Somewhere around 25/75 I guess. I bought my cars to drive them. I dont mind working on them tho
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Mine's about 75% (building/repairing)/25% (playing), I keep having little parts here and there break or strip that ruins my day. I've had my EMBE for 5 months now, only really had it out the last 3 months, had it completely apart now, 4 times. I think I could put it together with my eyes closed.
    FLM EMBE, P4de "Digger", Slash MT, Rustler/P4de

RC Qualifier
    mine sucks right now because I'm waiting for a part, but when I'm not waiting for a part I do a lot of maintenance.

It takes me about as long as charging 2 packs to strip it down, clean it, lube it, dry it, and put it back together.

so 3 hours of wrenching for 48 minutes of runtime when offroading.

and about 2 to 3 times the runtime for onroad. I don't tear the car down after every onroad session.

RC Qualifier
    90/10 for me, I don't have a good place to bash close by so most of my runs are on a narrow street with VERY unforgiving curbs!

BTW - absolutely excellent looking ride!!! The wire detail is the cherry on top!

RC Competitor
    jhsmith87, I used DRANO a pipe cleaning solvent from Walmart($6.50) to de-anodize the motor. My motor can only open on one side and i didn't want to risk taking out the inside wiring and ruin it so i just removed center shaft and brushed on the drano until the blue slowly began to disappear (about 6 cycles of 5 minute application). I was careful not to let any liquid touch the inside of the motor because that stuff is really potent. I would recommend grease lightning because some of the more brittle aluminum that I left in the drano solvent for too long began to corrode and I heard that the grease lighting won't hurt the aluminum. Youtube has a bunch of videos under de-anodizing.

As for the wiring I did what I see alot of other people did with mesh wire shroud over the wires (bought at Frys electronics, you can probably find it online).i added some clear shrink tubing over the wires for more protection and aesthetics. I had to re solder my deans connections on my esc .

If you need any help finding any products or more in depth instructions on how to do something just let me know.

RC Competitor
    So is everyone saying they don't like building the rigs? I reckon building, cleaning, maintaining and modifying is part of what the hobby is about, so it ALL falls into the fun factor for me.

0/100

(Oh apart from finding and fixing electrical glitches - they're a pain)

RC Qualifier
    i would have to say 60/40 is mine. sadly i just ruined my rear diff because i got a 3s from the lhs 2day (is that a good thing or bad) guess ill have to convince my mom for a credit card number to get the new ring and pinion, hollow balls, and shims

RC Competitor
    @Sith Lord,Well in my opinion the building is more that half the fun. I was just wondering how much building you do compared to how often you drive your car. I was just interested to see if it was a select few of us or if for the most part people enjoy the tune ups and aesthetics aspect of the hobby.

@JJVeld, Nothin' like a new set of diffs tho.Pretty nice too when your wallet doesn't take the hit (hehe, it's nice to have parents).

RC Qualifier
    It took me a while in this hobby to understand that working on the rides is a big part of the whole enjoyment. The longer I stay in it, the more I enjoy the tinkering. Other wise, I'd get frustrated and quit after spending 5 or 6 hours on a mod that doesn't make it past the first pack!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would say around 50/50.with the mods I have done its pretty reliable but I find myself pulling it apart to check the diff or oil level just to be able to work on it!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the pic 50togo!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yep your welcome!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyzminiz View Post
    I got so caught up in my build that i forgot that it's meant to be played with.

Dyed the chassis, esc and rockers black. De-anodized and polished the motor can, bulkhead plates, wheel extenders and motor mount. I also got fancy with the wiring(mesh wire shroud with clear shrink tubing) and threw a tail devil on the back to prevent my wing from getting chewed up by the asphalt and to spark up my wheeliez! Just dropped in new rear and center diffs, got some new gpm silver shocks(working great so far) and a ******* 390 metal gear servo. Next I have to drill the holes in my fresh beetle lid. Not the best looking merv on this forum but it sure was fun to build. Whats your build/fix to running ratio. 90/10 for me.

can we see more pics of this "spark maker". its a cool idea

RC Qualifier
    Lookin' good!!!

Hey mikey, how about a link for some of that wire mesh shroud?

RC Racer
    Love it! It's a very good looking rig.

RC Competitor
    @JJVeld, I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll film some vids and post them when i get back.

@chilidillo,http://www.cableorganizer.com/nylon/#price?src=auto,There's one link that I found but it would be better if you were able to make on down to some kind of an electronics store near you because you want to make sure to get something small because it works the same way as those Chinese finger toys where they expand and contract really easy. I'm not at home to check the gauge on mine.

@50togo that is one sturdy lookin' ride! How do you like the shocks? I wanted to get some myself but didn't want to flip the bill (i'm cheap).

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chilidillo View Post
    It took me a while in this hobby to understand that working on the rides is a big part of the whole enjoyment. The longer I stay in it, the more I enjoy the tinkering. Other wise, I'd get frustrated and quit after spending 5 or 6 hours on a mod that doesn't make it past the first pack!
    that is so true. when i first got it i was afraid to take it apart. now i basically know it like the back of my hand. i totally dont mind taking it apart to clean it because i know how everything fits together. my failed attempts at putting leds on is so true with modding. i have one but i was like screw this im taking it off because after all the effort i put into it i dont want to ruin it.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the link mikey!

RC Racer
    I have no money so I play a lot.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    for me its 50/50

like to run it but also like to work on it and look things up and then try it

i always have the most fun when it complete unmounted and then build it up and then the first drive it runs like a god

then i always think whoooooooooooo i have done agreat jog on this and thats what i find a thrill!!!

another thrill for me is speed and when i see the merv pass by with GRRRRRRSSTTTTTTTTT i get a hard one
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The exotek can take a beating. Click on the photo and make it full screen

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I second that on the speed!

RC Qualifier
    my ratio is going to 100/0 the next few days with a bad differential. shoulda shimmed it but couldnt get the shims so i guess it went out

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can check your oil while you are in there and when you shim remember a little tight is good. Where you spin it you should have a few tight spots otherwise it will have too much slop

RC Competitor
    @jhsmith87,I'm sorry that it took me so long to reply to you. If I'm not too late the answer to the question is yes. You can do your motor without taking apart the can. Just make sure to try not to get any cleaner on the wires or inside the motor. I bet a couple of drips will not ruin anything if they happened to seep inside. It worked best for me to brush the solvent onto the motor can vertically with the wire side pointing up (that way it will be hard for the cleaner to drip into the holes due to the gravitation force). I also used a very soft clothe like dremel bit to help remove some of the excess blue. Make sure not to try and clean the blue off with water right away because water tends to harden the blue anodize making it harder to remove. After you have a dull silver can you can go ahead and apply some polish(car polish or wax, $5.00 at walmart) and give it that beautiful sparkle shine.

If I answered you too late I'm sorry. Either way please reply with the outcome of your project with some pictures or some feedback. I'm really excited to see how others handle this project,because i sort of free balled it and learned as I went along. Good Luck! Tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't work.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    He has been banned can't respond

RC Competitor
    haha, guess that's why I couldn't send the pm.

RC Racer
    mine is 10 % working, 20 % driving and 70 % waiting for parts to repair my little revo

RC Racer
    60/40 over here. Its my sons Merv and he is only 3 years old. He hits anything in his way. With my other trucks it's more like 30/70 work/play.
    *ERBE
    *Rustler MMP 1410
    *T-Maxx 2.5
    *MERV

RC Qualifier
    Dude! A 3 year old driver makes for a lot of wrenching on dad's part!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Maybe you should invest in a t bone set up. I don't like the looks of them but they can take some abuse

RC Racer
    I enjoy fixing it. And when set in trading mode he can only do so much damage.
    *ERBE
    *Rustler MMP 1410
    *T-Maxx 2.5
    *MERV

RC Competitor
    well you ended up with one good lookin' rc car! Do you ride with a stampede body?