RC poster

Question Melted stock battery

Hello all. I recently purchased a traxxas slash Ultimate (sorry if this is in the wrong section) ,and on about my fifth or sixth use, my battery melted. It only melted the plastic I THINK ,but it only melted around one cell.
    It cooled after charging, I charge it at 4 amps with a peak charger. This is the stock battery that came with the ruck and there is no warranty on the battery. Please help
    Brad

RC Racer
    Get some lipo bats and toss that one.

RC poster
    Thank you for the quick response. My question is that what kind of Lipo should I get, as well as the charger. I would also like to know what size should i get.
    Brad

RC Racer
    A 2cell 5000ma would be a good choice but if you want to go real fast a 3cell would do. Depends on what you want to do. Chargers well there's a ton of those I prefer the high amp ones that require external power unit. There just way faster then most wall plug ones. With batteries and chargers Ive had good luck with ******* brand.

RC poster
    Thank you. And one last thing. Would I have to change the gearing or just leave it stock?
    P.S. I am assuming that the voltage would be 8.4 on a 2 cell.

RC Qualifier
    2s=7.4 volts.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Champion
    ^yes fully charged

RC Champion
    I would contact Customer Service and explain what has happened just in case they have a concern that there is any issue with you ESC for some reason. You did have it set for NiMh batteries when you charged them and also on the ESC?

LiPo 2s is 7.4 but will charge to 4.2v on each cell for a total of 8.4v peak. When choosing a LiPo you also want to consider the 'C' rating such as 25/30/40/50. The larger numbers deliver more power but you will be fine in the 30-40 range. So something like 5000mah 7.4 30c makes for a good choice, Traxxas batteries are great and positive things are shared on the SPC brand also that can be found from Spec Point Concepts as well as their courteous customer service
    3s is 11.1v and is very powerful and fun!

RC poster
    Well good news, traxxas gave me a new battery for free because of 30 day warranty. They say it melted because of constant stop and go. My final question is what is the ideal gearing for running on grass and pavement? i.e. driving on the driveway and then jumping into grass and back again.
    Brad

RC Champion
    Gear for the grass and the pavement will be effortless on the ESC and motor. Drop your pinion size down to maybe 18. This will make the car quicker but not faster and take the heat load of your electronics. The stop go will generate heat and shorten run times. Keep the car in motion on the grass and make your stops on the concrete if that works out for you.
    That was nice of TRAXXAS to replace your battery!

RC poster
    Thank you guys for all the help.
    Brad

RC Champion
    when you are using nimh batteries, after you use it in your truck you need to let it cool down before you charge it, and after you charge it you need to let it cool down before you use it. kinda sucks so lipo batteries is a definite upgrade. get a balance charger for it and your good.

RC poster
    Quick question. They say the high current drain caused my battery to overheat. Does this problem occur with Lipos?
    Brad

not if you have the right lipo and its balanced charged properly.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    not if you have the right lipo and its balanced charged properly.
    So if I understand this correctly, then a lipo battery will not melt due to high current drain and stress.
    Brad

RC Champion
    yes it can ocure 1 if the battery dosent have enought c ratings 2 if your useing a battery pack that dosent have enoght mah 3 if you have a system that needs way more than the pack can dish out(ex a system needs 500a but the battery can only put out
    100a so the battery could dishcharge to fast)

and i know i need to be corrected on some things here

RC poster
    So on that note, does anyone know of a good lipo for high stress, and within the$150 range.
    Brad

RC Qualifier
    Look at the sky, blue, ******* and gens ace lipos. Should cost ya about 50 bucks for a couple of packs from any of those makers. My sky 5000mah 20c packs cost me 20 bucks a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1895 View Post
    Well good news, traxxas gave me a new battery for free because of 30 day warranty. They say it melted because of constant stop and go. My final question is what is the ideal gearing for running on grass and pavement? i.e. driving on the driveway and then jumping into grass and back again.
    Brad
    Yea Brad I think that's the problem here. The solution is to NEVER STOP!!! Seriously though, I'm suprised this happened but I'm glad Traxxas is sending you a new battery, they're a good company.

For future reference, buy a lipo battery and charger for your next purchase. I like SPC, Venom and Reedy for batteries, and Venom pro charger. Reedy is a little pricey but long-lived. If you order ******* and similar brands you'll have to solder a Traxxas plug on to the battery. If you get that brand, order from the site that has free shipping for orders over $50.

Just because you order a small lipo battery in terms of capacity, doesn't necessarily mean it will burn up. Have fun.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    I know this battery may need a different connector, but will this work with the VXL-3s. http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-65c-53...se-bullet.html
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad1895 View Post
    I know this battery may need a different connector, but will this work with the VXL-3s. http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-65c-53...se-bullet.html
    Brad
    Something comes to mind about this battery. You can buy the gens ace battery then pick up a set of traxxas or deans connectors off ebay with the bullet pigtails and plug em in without soldering.

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Something comes to mind about this battery. You can buy the gens ace battery then pick up a set of traxxas or deans connectors off ebay with the bullet pigtails and plug em in without soldering.

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    (I know that but will this even fit in the slash ultimate?