RC Racer

Is brushless motor running hot?

Hey everyone brand new to the forums and the MERV, so gf brought me a brand new MERV and I love it. Haven't been in the RC car hobby in over 10 years and I love this truck. My engine temps are about 130-140 using the 2C lipo, and 160-170 F when running the 3C LiPo. Are these normal temps?? Im running a 20T pinion, and the ambient temperature in Atlanta is about low 80's? Can you guys chime in please.

Please note that I was running Proline Titus wheels with dirt hawgs but switched to HPI 5 spoke 2.2's and Speed Hawgs since I mostly run on road and a bit of dirt driving. I just want to make sure the temps aren't gonna cook the ESC or Motor.

I was into pan cars a few years back and don't remember the temps being this high also LiPos didnt exist back then I mostly ran NiMh and yes I have a IR temp gun to guage the temps I always do after every 5 mins. TO ensure I don't break the 170 degree barrier. As Ive read that at 200 degrees F your killing magnets on the brushless motor.

Thanks again for any feedback.

PS this lil monster is insane compared to my old pan cars I used to run. Especially after installing the HR racing sway bars, and installing wider street tires. Its a MONSTER!!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The perfect motor temp is different for everyone... but my personal goal is anything below 180F.
    Especially in the Atlanta heat.

Now the question is what is your ESC running at??
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would keep a good eye on temps I had a motor go bad at 190

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a traxxas heat sink on the motor will help a bit! and a fan on your esc

RC Racer
    Jimmie the ESC was way below the motor. I have the Heat sink from Traxxas and when taking the temps on the motor I take it from the motor heat sinks and the back of the motor where the cables hang (the endbell I think) and the temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler that the heat sink. The heat sink is never hotter than the motor so far.

50togo what Fan heat sink do u recommend?

Thanks again to all who contributed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Muchmore racing ultra high speed fan flows some good air. Probably a 25x25mm

RC Racer
    Can u provide a link please, thanks. I want her to run cool as possible.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On ebay also

RC Racer
    50togo how did u mount that fan on ur motor and esc?
    Also ran her again today and installed a 18 tooth pinion and after 7 mins the motor was at 152 f with the 3c lipo and the esc was about 134 to 136 is this normal?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a 2.5mm bolt through the fan will thread right between the fins! 3 cell is really only for a few runs then let it cool.with running 18/50 gearing on a 3 cell you will go faster with a 2 cell and stock gearing 28/50!and run cooler