RC Enthusiast

Can the rally vxl handle 3s batteries?

I have several 3s batteries and would like to get the rally car. I also have the stock 7cell batteries that came with my revo, would they perform good and will they fit? I have the traxxas 3s 25c 5000mah lipo batteries and would love to run on 3s. I'm a newbie to electric my revo is insane so I'm thing of switching to all electric.
    Thanks
    James

RC Qualifier
    The rally is a 1/16 scale and will need smaller batteries like these. 3s will work but the ones that came with an e-revo are way too big to fit.
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for answering my question I pulled trigger and bought the ken block rally now I need the parallel harness and two lipos that you showed me and it should be fun

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    3S in a stock rally can cause the ESC to overheat and die and its really easy to burn up the stock motor. Yes, it can do it. But you need to be REALLY careful with temps and gearing. Opening up some cooling holes in the body and getting a good motor heatsink/fan combo is HIGHLY recommended. The car is pretty much undriveably fast on 3S and the truth is, 2S is MORE than enough for this car. OTher than doing straight line speed runs I found 3S made the car LESS fun.

I strongly suggest NOT getting the parallel harness for 2 reasons.

First, the rally was setup and designed to run a single battery in only one side. That is the way the car is best weighted. Adding to batteries makes it handle poorly.

Second, because this car allows very little cooling air under the hood it is a really good idea to stop after each pack and let the motor/ESC cool down. I can pretty much guarantee, trying to run 2 packs in parallel will result in an overheated motor or ESC... even on 2S. You'll get about 20 or so minutes of run time with a single pack. Give it about 10 minutes to cool down then run the next pack. Keep another truck with you to run in-between and you wont have any problems.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    The guys here hot Houston run 3S in touring racing. The 2S guys can not keep up and the track is small. The fastest guy (lap times) runs one 3S pack on one side and a lead weight in the other side that's the same weight as the 3S pack. I know this is not balanced, but that's what he does. The car handles*, accelerates, and brakes great. If anything, it has a bit too much traction. Heat is and issue though. His got a bit warm, but he wasn't using fans and the body vent looked a bit smallish for my taste.

So, to more directly answer the question, yes, it can handle a 3S pack, even 2 if they are in parallel and you take all the cooling precautions.

*Great handling requires extensive changes to the stock setup (diff oils, shock oils, springs, sways, tires, droop, ride height)
    Last edited by metoo2; 06-15-2012 at 12:35 PM.