RC Enthusiast

Batt charging voodoo......

So I'm charging my 2S LiFE batts when my 2nd charger starts going mental....it has to be replaced as i am not wanting around to balance charge 4 of my LiFE batts in a row.....so with some internet guides and solder....and electrical voodoo....I made an adapter to charge my 2 2S Life batts as 1 4S battery....YAY....now back to bashing/breaking....

And mods if this has to be moved then so be it, but I was more excited that I'm able to get my MERV back up and running....

RC Qualifier
    This is too weird, 20 minutes ago, I blew the plug right off the power supply on my Palm MRC 992. I know it's a bottom line charger, but you buy what's in the budget. I can't complain, it's had a busy life for better than a year.

I like your rig, nice work-around to boost productivity!!! I'll do better this time in my purchase. If you don't mind my asking, what did everything set you back?

RC Qualifier
    The SPC site recommended the Hyperion 720 Net AC/DC. It turns out I got a pretty good deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

Anybody got this baby?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Can't tell by the pic but with that much wiring did you build it with 12g wireing?

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Can't tell by the pic but with that much wiring did you build it with 12g wireing?
    What is 12g wiring?
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    12 gauge wire

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    12 gauge wire
    Ah ok, AWG, I thought it was something like 12 grams. Lol.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    there are 2 4" 12AWG from the main deans and then 1 6" between the 2 deans...It's what I had so it's what i used...when charging at my 2.2-4.4A 12AWG was a bit overkill, might use 14 next time....

RC Enthusiast
    BTW chilidillo, cost wasn't that much as I had everything in the toolbox already....14" of 12AWG, 2 4S female balancer plugs, 1 male 6S balancer plug, 2 male deans,1 female deans...bought in bulk, may have come to ~$5 for the adapter...

RC Qualifier
    @ dubluv - that's what make this pass-time fun; ya use what ya got, and lots of times it works out better than what you could buy!

RC Qualifier
    i did not know they made LiFe batteries for 1/16. i am new (got mine in January) but i did do some studying on batteries and stuff. how do the lifes compare to lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why bother with 14awg I even use 12 agw on my 7 suround. Sound speakers on my home theater!

RC Enthusiast
    @JJVeld - Although the LiFE do not have as nigh nominal voltage as lipos(3.3V vs. 3.6V), and the capacity is not nearly as high either, (1100mah VS 1300+mah) there are a few advanteges to the LiFE.

when connected to the esc via serial cable, you get an output voltage of about 13.2VDC, under the 4S limit of most ESC's and yet higher than the 3S voltage from lipos.

The batts them selves are rather robust. Heat does not affect them as much as the lipo's and you can set your esc to No cutoff as the cells are not affected by running them until your car is out of juice, not stopping from LVC.

In 2009 I got the cells cheap enough, I could assemble a 2S pack for a little more $10-12 per pack. By todays standard that is pricey now. That being said I challenge anyone to be harder on their lipos than I am on my LiFE's and still perfectly trust them after 3 years of running on the same 4 packs.

By the way I usually dont do any special storage charge or maintenace diring winter months, Other than check voltage 1 or 2 times during winter. I still pull 1090-1075 mah after 3 years of abuse at 2-5C charging!

RC Qualifier
    Hey dubluv - I like what I'm hearing! Do you think the LiFE's are a better value than LiPo's? I like the implied safety of the LiFE's, so is there a catch? Downsides to them? If not, have you got a link for a MERV pack?

RC Qualifier
    How about this guys? A pair of these in series??? Wow!!! I just ordered 2 of them!!!

http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...o-Pack&cat=220
    Last edited by chilidillo; 06-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those are only 1050 mah wont last as long as a 2200 and way over priced. Cancel it! You could get one boost 2450 for 43.00 shipped way better but still expensive!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Or spc 2500 for around 23 shipped

RC Qualifier
    I'm just liking the increased safety of the LiFe packs. I'll be running them in pairs (series for speed obviously)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is two in parallel wont last as long as one 2200

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Run time wont be very much, which in series is good wont get too hot!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When is the last time someone had a lipo explode on the forum?

RC Qualifier
    BTW - I'm a big fan of SPC, that's where I've been buying; love the product and price. I just want to try a low maintenance alternative for the times when the LiPos aren't there for me

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They will have a long life as far as charges! Let us know how much runtime you get

RC Qualifier
    Will do, I just love wheels and batteries; I've gotta try 'em all!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    56.00 with Traxxas ends wow. How much was shipping?

RC Qualifier
    Total delivered is $60.93. I thought about going for the 3 cell but I'll get that after I try the 2's

RC poster

I want to do that voodoo too

That's a wild rig you have there.

I ordered two of these packs, but looking at this thread, I proably paid too much. Live and learn. I'm sure they'll be fine. I was thinking of running them in parallel, but I'm not sure if my esc can handle that much voltage.

I'm interested in the packs in your post becuse they are clearly home-built. This is also something I'm considering. Done some research and found some good instruction online. Sourced these cells from all-battery.com and wonder if they'd work.

In any case, I'd be interested in any tips you might offer or any reading online you can point me towards.

Thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chilidillo View Post
    Total delivered is $60.93. I thought about going for the 3 cell but I'll get that after I try the 2's
    I just ordered the three cell packs this weekend. I'll let you know how they work out. I bought a new radio/reciever also and some aluminum pushrods and steering knuckles as well. With the increased power, I might look into metal driveshafts also. This only if I break something though....

I'm very interested in building my own packs and I'm looking for sources for A123 and/or LiFePo4 cells. Any tips, tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. There are a bunch of great videos and pages online about building the packs, but sourcing the cells is proving difficult for me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteAnonymous View Post
    That's a wild rig you have there.

I ordered two of these packs, but looking at this thread, I proably paid too much. Live and learn. I'm sure they'll be fine. I was thinking of running them in parallel, but I'm not sure if my esc can handle that much voltage.

I'm interested in the packs in your post becuse they are clearly home-built. This is also something I'm considering. Done some research and found some good instruction online. Sourced these cells from all-battery.com and wonder if they'd work.

In any case, I'd be interested in any tips you might offer or any reading online you can point me towards.

Thanks!
    you mean series not parallel!

RC poster
    Nope. I meant parallel. Thanks for the correction. I just forgot about the difference between parallel and series. Had to look it up again for a refresher. So I should be fine with a parallel connector.

Where are you getting your LiFePo4 cells?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I believe he is getting them from maxamps

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for the late response....

If anyone is wondering I hot my cells from the Black & Decker service centre near my home. I take the B&D VPX battery and I have a set of my very own authentic A123 cells....

I actually picked up 8 of these battery packs thinking I would make 8 packs, but after making 4 packs I decided to save the other packs for when the ones I use are shot...Trouble is the packs I made are taking a beating after 3 years and I still can power anything I throw them into!

**** good batts I say...Then again....getting that tinker itch...might have to make up the last batch of batts...