Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

coupler problems

I am running the aeromarine couplers on both boats and I am having a problem with them releasing the flex cables. On my sons boat I have to tap a few times on the coupler for it to release the cable. On my boat I have to hit the coupler many times with the wrench before it releases the cable. I have treid everything with the coupler with no luck. Any ideas or anyone know what company makes them so I can try and contact them. I have looked on the net with no luck.These are supposed to be the best but if they do not release the cables then I have to try different couplers.

RC Qualifier
    I notice the same thing from time to time.

So far I have observed two things that appear to contribute to the problem:

1. Over tightening the collet. A good quality collet shouldn't need to be over tight to hold securely.
    2. Debris in the insert. Doesn't seem to take much, a build up of grease, a few filings from manufacture, take it apart and make sure the insert is clean, and free of burrs.

This seems to help in my experience.

Hog

RC Qualifier
    I took them apart several times and cleaned and polished them. I did find the phone no. of aeromarine and put a call in. I hope they can resolve the problem.

RC Qualifier
    I would agree, overtightening could be the problem. I had mine overtightened the other day, and it wouldnt release! I had to tap on it like you did to get it to finally release.

RC Qualifier
    I spoke with aeromarine today and he said he would send me two new inserts. He also stated not to overtighten the coupler. I like a company that is willing to help their customers. He also stated that he wanted to know if this cures my problem. I will let him know.

RC Qualifier
    Overtightening vs. tightening, its tough to knowwhen you have reached the overtightening stage in my opinion. Its not like a torque wrench where you can set the amount of torque required, its seems like its just a shot in the dark I guess?