RC Racer

I think I burned one up.

Well I bought 3 Brushless Slashes for Christmas. 1 for my son,1 for my gf, and one for myself. I have used Spc 2s 5000mah 25c batteries in all 3 since new. 2 of them have been running great. I really haven't used mine much since I bought a Brushless emaxx right after seeing how good the slashes ran.

Well anyways. This weekend I got my slash out to run with my son. 1st thing I noticed was after running a little bit i let off the throttle and the truck kept going at a very slow speed. I didn't think much of it and thought the the transmitter and esc needed re calibrated. So the next day I re calibrated the transmitter and head out to the parking lot. To my surprise the truck did not want to move. It was trying to go but just wouldn't. It was just surging. I tried with it for about 15 minutes and it did finally start to go but only for about 2 minutes and when I stopped it didn;t want to move again. I removed the body and I could tell it was very very hot. The ESC, Motor, and wires. The battery was still cool. So i went in and got my Temp gauge. the motor after sitting a few minutes was around 230 degrees and the Esc was around 220. I am running stock gearing.

So anyways, I call traxxas support today and come to find out that is not going to be covered under warranty. Which I am a little upset over seeing that this truck has not had much use, probably 5-7 packs thru it total. I don't want to have to go thru this again and spending $90 for the out of warranty clainm for a new esc and motor just does not sit well with me after seeing how long this one lasted and spending close to $1,800 on rc cars since Xmas time. I really hope that I don't end up with the same problem with the other 2 trucks. But those 2 have been in training mode since day one. Since my son is 6 yrs old and my gf's first rc.

So I am going to be looking for a new ESC/Motor combo. What is out there and what do you guys recommend? I am not racing these trucks, just bashing around in parking lots.

RC Competitor
    As being a technician, i first would want to find out wat is broke. With 2 "spare" Slashes it shouldn't be to difficult to find out. Take a spare and put it in normal mode. If it is running fine, start exchanging the motor. 1 of the Slashes now should have the problem. If its your own, you got a broke Esc and if its the spare you got a motor with a defekt. Then you know wat to buy. Because you're a basher and traxxas parts are waterproof original parts should be ok. Good luck finding out.
    Slash 2WD lcg Chuckworks & 4WD lcg Traxxas
    Summit

RC Racer
    What if I change something out and it ends up burning out the other one? Then I will have 2 broken trucks. I really am not worried about the waterproofing. These have never seen any water and I don't plan on them to.

RC Racer
    Unplug the motor wires from esc and reconnect them
    2WD Slash Vxl W/ Venom 2cell LIPO 7.4v 5000Mah 20c

RC Racer
    Ok I will try that this evening when I get in from work.

RC Racer
    Ok well I got home today and charged up the battery. I disconnected all the connectors and reattached them. The battery lead had a little black on them so wiped them down. Took it put side and it seemed to run fine. I was really ruff on it for about 10 minutes a lot of full throttle and hard breaking. The WAC got up to about 120 degrees and the motor got to 190. I also switch out to the high speed pinion since I was just playing around in the parking lot again. I don't think that this being at 190 is good though.

RC Qualifier
    No it is not... For the esc I would get a fan though. I have one on my P4de and it keeps it cool. But there is defiantly something wrong in the transmission. My suggestion is the same as DutchSlash.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRCMan View Post
    No it is not... For the esc I would get a fan though. I have one on my P4de and it keeps it cool. But there is defiantly something wrong in the transmission. My suggestion is the same as DutchSlash.

Something wrong in the transmission?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by A468BU View Post
    Something wrong in the transmission?
    Well, you could open it up and see... 272s' aren't that hard to service..

RC Racer
    Everything seems to be free and no binding. you think that could be causing the motor to get hot?

RC Racer
    Well I tore it down. Found no problems in the transmission or diff area. All the gears are good same goes for the bearings and no binding.

RC Qualifier
    Did you turn the motor shaft?

RC Racer
    Ok well I decided to send the system in to Traxxas. Very much to my surprise, I got a email from them today saying they were replacing it for me at no charge. I am very pleased with their support. This was my first time ever dealing with them for the 10 or so years I have been purchasing their product. I just wish I knew what happened to cause it in the first place though. Maybe there will be a note explaining what happened when I get it back from them?