RC Qualifier

MIP + Traxxas 17MM = bad idea.

Snapped it without any real force while running my slash with 17mm buggy tires that I JUST got traded with my oversize 3.2 MT Masher.
    I've seen reports on this forum that MIP + TRaxxas 17mm adapter = not good marriage.
    Now I know why.

Last edited by hskb; 05-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    I had a bad batch of axles when I first got my MIPs. I believe it was a manufacturing fault so I wouldn't jump the gun and blame your 17mm adapters. Especially if you weren't bashing too hard.
    Contact Matt from MIP and he will replace your broken axle no questions asked. I'd suggest buying a spare because if you have one faulty axle, the chances are you will break the other one you got in the same pack. I did.

Mip has new axles that don't use pins! I would ask Matt about those. If you eliminate the pins the weak point is gone. If you need the contact information, send me a pm.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Hey El Sob can i have the contact info about the new axle's without pin's? Thank's man.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

What's the theory behind 17mm hubs breaking axles? Aren't the 4wd axles heavier-duty than 2wd?

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    Use the MIP 17mm adaptors. World is that the tolerances on the Traxxas 17mm adaptors don't like MIP's.

Besides, I consider the Traxxas 17mm adaptors to be of very poor quality and the aluminum is soft.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the suggestion Summitvxl. I have 2 sets of buggy tires, and really want a working solution.
    Are you using this combo? Can't find them anywhere.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Mip has new axles that don't use pins! I would ask Matt about those. If you eliminate the pins the weak point is gone. If you need the contact information, send me a pm.
    unfortunately matt has informed me that the new axles are all being recalled. the new hex design is not working sadly.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by montego650 View Post
    unfortunately matt has informed me that the new axles are all being recalled. the new hex design is not working sadly.
    have a buddy with those ??? hex's have stripped 2 wheels and 6 damaged brgs.

I found the spacers between the brgs are not wide enough, added shims and brg problem is gone, but still have poor supplied hex's.

My original x-duty and 17mm adapters have been great over 1 yr now
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitvxl View Post
    Use the MIP 17mm adaptors.
    100% agreed. speaking from experience
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    Hey El Sob can i have the contact info about the new axle's without pin's? Thank's man.
    I apologize for it taking so long to send you Matt's information. I hope that you resolve the problems you are having with your axles.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...comes-unpinned

I got some from the first batch for my 4x4 pede about a month ago.I got the rears and still waiting for the fronts.The hex is not a perfect hexagon and leaves small dimples in the wheel.They are very strong,but i dont want to damage my wheels so i asked for the original one and will return these.I will go back to using alum, hexes and pins.I have plenty of pins if i break one.

RC Qualifier
    So I emailed Matt @ miponline and he responded promtly, promised to send me the replacement when the new design available.
    Today I got them - yes, them, not it, more than I expected
    Thanks Matt
    I had 4 spare stock front axles at the time this mip axle broke, and now only 1 left on the truck

Here is a close-up of the new improved design MIP axle:

I also got the FLM 17mm adapters (also work great on the new MIP axle design since the flm 17mm fit right on the stock 12mm hex ) , been running them with the 1/8 buggy tires with mmp+2400kv 24/50 3s without any proplems so far.
    Last edited by hskb; 06-21-2012 at 12:28 AM.

RC poster
    wow the new keyd axle design seems very good... it's just what i needed... with the MMM 2650, i'm beginning to "round" the st racing 12mm wheel hexs, breaking hub pins, etc.... this may be the final step...