My E-revo hop-up

I live in Brisbane, Queensland (Australia) and have had my E-revo for about 5 months now. I went from standard batteries straight to 6s within 3 days of owning my truck...(now that was an expensive learning curve). I realised very quickly that I needed to upgrade my E-revo to withstand the brutality it was undergoing.

I like to utilise my E-revo as an all rounder. It is generally played with on the road outside my house doing a few speed runs, grass park opposite the house and the majority of the time a dirt race track with some BMX jumps. The dirt track is very rocky and for the majority of the time dry and dusty, except for when it down pours here. I also like to bash at the local skate park sometimes during lunch break at work.

I came across the pit pass, hop-up (Big-Volt Basher) section on the Traxxas site.... I followed this upgrade and feel that my truck still needs some fine tuning. I started searching through the Traxxas threads on the brushless E-revo and have come across a lot of useful posts on here; and I am wanting to share with you monster truckers what I have learnt so far.

I am hoping to get a few responses of your thoughts and maybe what you would do different on my setup.

I have started playing around with gearing. I have tried 18/65, 18/62, 17/62, 17/58, 20/62, 20/54 and am now running 20/56 as I recently stripped my 54 spur gear at the track . So far I like the 20/54 setting as the E-revo is living up to its name as a super fast truck. Would 18/54 gearing make a good bash setting as 20/54 does not back flip the truck off jumps.

I have noticed that with a 20/54 gear setting my truck does not wheelie as aggressively as before.

As it stands, the mods to my truck are as follows:
    1. Traxxas sway bar kit front and rear (silver)
    2. Wheelie bar
    3. Summit rear A-Arms, rear hole
    4. Summit shafts all round
    5. 5319X Push rods all round
    6. 5338R Toe link
    7. Integy T3119S Pivot ball cap
    8. HPP 17mm Hex adaptors for wheel slop
    9. VDP kit...No.2 installed.
    10. Geode 3.8" rims with Traxxas Response Pro 3.8" Tyres taped twice around with grey duct tape
    11. 50wt Venom shock oil front & rear
    12. Green springs front & tan springs rear
    13. Jato shock boots front & rear
    14. 30wt Traxxas diff lube front
    15. 50wt Traxxas diff lube rear

As for settings on my truck they are as follows:
    1. 2deg Toe out front, -2deg Camber
    2. 3deg Toe in rear, -2deg Camber
    3. Caster set to 15deg, 4 Spacers front. My truck does a lot more pulling than pushing from this setting
    4. Roll centre, front and rear top hole
    5. Front push rod, outer hole
    6. Rear push rod, middle hole

I have started playing around with the wing setting but probably need more guidance as to actually what it does.

I didn't realise at the time that Traxxas Pro Response tyres are not meant for asphalt, I basically coned the tyres after 30 minutes play in a parking lot.

I have recently ordered Proline 3.8" tyres and 3.8" Desperado rims with 1/2" offset. I will use these as my road tyre from now on. For bashing, HPI savage GT2 tyres 3.8" and Geode 3.8" rims. I will tape these tyres round 3 times with grey duct tape.

General maintenance I usually do a wash down under the tap and then a blow down with compressed air. I would like your thought on bearing maintenance as I don't think my way is correct. The LHS advised me to use spin lube bearing oil. I find the problem with this is that it collects too much dust from the track and my bearings always sound very grindy. I have had to replace a couple of them already. I normally clean with WD40 and then lube after.

Last night I fitted the RC Solutions roll cage as I am a tired of stripping my spur gear all the time. I am not sure this is the correct way to go as I have had to remove the rear sway and wheelie bar to fit the cage. I have also had to lift the body posts to get my body back on. I think adding the other motor mount mod suggested in these forums to stop stripping spur gears is the way to go.

I plan on doing the plasti dip to waterproof the esc as I have already fried one because of water.

I will post some pics of my truck, and the track where I ride at a later date. I would like to keep this thread alive with all mods and recommendations...ultimately I would like to have an all round setting that suits my style best.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 05-28-2012 at 10:54 PM.

RC Racer
    seems like you spent alot of money on a already perfect truck.

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see it!
    This is a signature.

RC Champion
    Only thing i think you will regret is using regular duct tape. Find the strongest tape you can find or it will shred on 6s. If the tires need it, balancing them makes the truck handle great.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Champion
    3.8 chevrons on geode wheels. Smooth as glass, no tape needed.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

This is a pic of my beast.

Here is a pic with the RC Solutions Roll Cage...as you can see, motor and ESC have been removed. I went to use my truck last night and turned in on and there was nothing. It turns out my switch is gone. I've cut the switch off and am going to solder the wires together to bypass the switch.

Here you can see green springs in front with the traxxas sway bar kit. I replaced the front sway bar turnbuckles with this part Traxxas 3738 49mm turnbuckle. You can see the jato shock boots through the springs. They are working well and have really had no issue with my truck on dusty dirt tracks.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 05-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    Only thing i think you will regret is using regular duct tape. Find the strongest tape you can find or it will shred on 6s. If the tires need it, balancing them makes the truck handle great.
    Thanks mate, will look into that duct tape. So far grey duct tape wrapped twice around holding up OK on 3 of the tyres. 1 tyre is ballooning a bit (front left). Think it will do ok for where I am using the truck.

I forgot to mention that all tyres have been balanced with epoxy putty. Its working OK and dries rock solid. So far the putty is staying in place. Balacing has done wonders for the perfomance of the truck.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 05-29-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Tonight I had a go at water proofing my ESC. I have fried one previously in the past from been careless. It has been raining quite a bit here lately.This is a method method I came across on You Tube...this is Plasti Dip on my ESC.

I have used insulation tape on the motor bullet connection and heat sink. I am hoping this method doesn't overheat the ESC. I will let you guys know what the outcome is and if this is a good idea.

Here are the pics, as you can see I have also cut my switch off as this has given in. I plan to solder and then tape up as to bypass the switch.

I've got some work cut out for me this weekend. I finally got my Proline Road Rage 3.8 tyres. I am going to mount these on Desperado rims with 1/2" offset. These tyres I am going to tape three times around and balance.

I ordered a new prographix body (5611X) which I am going to have a go at spraying. I am gonna go for a metallic red colour. We will see how it goes.

Here are some pics of tyres, rims and body.

Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Good luck with them.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Oh well, I never got around to doing the tyres and wheels this weekend. I took the truck out yesterday for a burn and heard a grating sound coming from the rear diff. Today I pulled the E-revo apart to examine front and rear diff to see what was wrong.

After some thought and a lot of time searching through these threads I have changed my mind about bearing maintenance as discussed in the first post.

Here is the E-revo in pieces

As you can see in this pic the ring gears teeth have been damaged. A bearing on the inside of the diff housing seized and has been ground to bits

I came across this method of bearing maintenance on one of these threads. Oiling your bearings is not the way to go...they collect to much dirt and are seizing far to early. As you can see in the attached pics I popped the rubber seal of every bearing, sprayed with WD40 to clean. I then re-greased and popped the seal back on. I will let you know how this goes.

I also beefed up the threaded screw in the rear body mount. This has been holding up pretty well and has not pulled out of mount as before...especially when the truck lands vertical on the wing.

The ESC is working well so far with the plati dip coating. Tried it out in the rain before the rear diff gave in from a seized bearing. As you can see, the switch has now been by-passed. I soldered the wires together and taped up with insulation tape.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-03-2012 at 06:05 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by anr2442 View Post
    Mate...you were right. I regret using the grey duct tape now...another tyre has started ballooning. The truck is handling horribly now. I went and bought some gaffer tape today, its the strongest tape they had at the hardware store. I will try these in the new road tyres I've got. Hopefully they will hold up well to 6s.

Accessories for traxxas are expensive and hard to come by in Australia especially tyres. I buy all my goods off eBay for a fraction of the cost you would here. It's normally a 2 - 4 week wait. Hopefully these ballooning tyres last until the new dirt ones come.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-04-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    in America many of us go for this tape for tires, http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-tape

After much thought and learning from my mistakes...I decided last night to fix my ballooning tyres as I was a bit dissapointed with the grey duct tape I used to tape the inside of my tyres.

I gave the baking method a try on the two rear tyres:
    1. I preheated the oven to just over 200C (Roughly 400F)
    2. Wrapped each tyre in tinfoil twice to contain the smell of the rubber heating up in the oven.
    3. I put the tyres in the oven for just over 5min and then turned off. I left them in there for a further 30min or so.
    4. I removed 1 tyre at a time, took foil off and with the oven mits removed the tyre off the rim. I couldn't believe how easy they came off the rims. (I coped an earful from the missus for using the oven mits). You will get a strong smell of heated rubber once you open the foil so I suggest you open up outside , in the garage or if the house is well ventilated.
    5. I then cleaned the excess glue on the tyre with acetone. The glue came fairly easy and tyre looked in good nick still
    6. I washed down with soapy water and dried.
    7. I then roughed up the inside of the tyre with a scour brush.
    8. I then used the gaffer tape twice around the inside each tyre (It is hard to get gorilla tape in Australia)
    9. Re-assembled the tyres and glued.

I will recommend the baking method over the boiling method...as in the past the boiling method discoulered my rim and slightly warped it from been boiled. I also found with boiling method that the foam sucked up a lot of water and retained the heat for longer which made it awkward to work with.

I will see how the gaffer tape (cloth tape) goes compared to the grey duct taped I originally used. Tomorrow night I plan on doing the front set of tyres so I will be post some pics.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-07-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

I took the Erevo out for a bit of a bashing session today.I am not to happy with the gaffer tape I used, the tyres are ballooning again. They are not to bad but still ballooning. I am going to try this gorilla tape that was suggested to me. The ESC temps have remained almost the same with the ESC been coated in plasti dip. I am happy about that

All went well today, the truck came home in one piece except for this...a bent push rod:

It must of happened from when the truck cart wheeled from casing a jump and I seized a wheel bearing. This is the 2nd push rod 3rd bearing to go in a month.
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

So after fixing my truck today I finally got around to spraying my body. Here it is getting a warm soapy wash to remove any greasy finger prints and dirt on the inside of the body.

I was originally going to go for a metallic red look but changed my mind and tried a blend of colours. I went for white backing, metallic red and camel yellow. The LHS only had Tamiya brand. This is my first attempt ever of spraying a body and I wanted something unique so this is it.

This is after the first coat is applied.

This is the third coat.

And finally the fifth coat.

I applied a nice layer of the backing coat.

Here are 2 shots of the side of the body. I haven't removed the protective film yet, this will be my mission later tonight. I liked the way Rammo did his sticker decal on one of these threads so I am going to go for a similar layout.

Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-10-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

Protective film removed...next step to add decal

Rock n Rolla !

Finally stuck the decals on...thanks to Rammo, it was his idea I used to stick the Erevo & Proline sticker on slanted. Finished result of body spraying and decals.

Rock n Rolla !

I spy little fingeres....
    Last edited by 87 GN; 06-10-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Iamnotagoodspeller
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

One of my diffs is gone again, I think it is the rear one. It must of happend after the weekends session.

Every time I hit the brakes you can hear a grating sound coming from one of the diffs, the truck has also started pulling hard right again with acceleration. This will make it 5 times this year opening up a diff to see whats wrong with it. That is almost once a month.

I have come across a diff shimming method on these threads. I will post pics and detail what I have done. Hopefully this works and gives me at least 5 - 6 months out of my diffs before servicing them.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Very Impressive. Such an informative post too.

RC Competitor
    i dont know if you said it already but what is that metal cage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_915 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    your bumping a very old thread, RC SOLUTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_915 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxaserevo View Post
    your bumping a very old thread, RC SOLUTIONS
    This is an old thread I don't use any more...Correct, as said it's an RC Solutions Roll cage. I found that if you like to tinker on your truck a lot the cage made it it fairly difficult to so. My driving style has also improved a great deal so I don't see the need for the cage for the way I use my truck any more.

This is my new thread that is active.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...6-ERBE-rebuild
    Rock n Rolla !