Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    yeah, it will get there eventually. not my biggest concern right now lol. just paid $600 that the guy didnt deserve one bit just to get my mini truck back home and in my arms which all the work he did now needs redone. and i posted my 4x4 truck online for trade to get another dodge neon. so if i get one depending on the condition and motor/tranny combo i might use it as my daily and this one on here for my motor swap/ drag car project. but i really miss my truck so a good portion of my money will be going to get it on the road again with only little things done to either neon until truck is drivable.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

so you guys remember me telling you about the other neon that was at the track on wed?

well he text me earlier and asked for pics of my 4x4 dakota that i am trying to trade for another neon for me to do a 2.4 swap in. He wants his buddies del sole so as long as his buddy is intrested in my dakota i will get his neon which is already 2.4 swapped. so fingers crossed on this trade, i would be so happy. its 5 speed and everything just like i wanted to do. and then without having to buy a motor i could spend more on making it go faster much sooner

i hope so much to trade.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Ah, good luck on getting the 2.4l car!
    Aw, Biscuits!

Where do you live that it rains all the time?

How is the transmission holding up

Sent from the cockpit of my Jeep Wrangler
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

i live in the very north center of ohio. pretty much may as well say on lake erie almost.

but do you mean how is my current auto trans holding up? or how is the 5 speed holding up to that car with the 2.4 swap?
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=lubecakes;5187916]TRUCK BED COATING! It will look awesome!

a guy here in indy has a 87 short bed chevy sprayed with that rhino blue looks awesome

love the neon reminds me of my malibu i spayed flat black. put enuff paint on it. any thing will look good
    I dream of big block power...

my buddies 4x4 truck is rhino lined lol.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Ran into someone I went to school with a couple years back, he did that with his Jetta.....looked interesting.
    Aw, Biscuits!

well he didnt want my 4x4 dakota, so now im offering my 2wd dakota. seemes much more intrested, so we shall see how it goes.
    Drag It!

man, this makes me wonder if i want to go na or turbo now lol

Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Jeez that thing is impressive. I like how it sounded almost like a v8, but then he started stepping on it hard and it lost the sound and I almost facepalmed lol.
    @08kgraves- Are you concerned about not being able to put the power down effectively? That car in the video hardly seems driveable haha.

RC Champion
    Installing a turbo will provide a ton of power. And by the looks of things a steering stabilizer would be good to add as well.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Installing a turbo will provide a ton of power. And by the looks of things a steering stabilizer would be good to add as well.
    I thought only jeeps had steering stabs. Lol

My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    Jeez that thing is impressive. I like how it sounded almost like a v8, but then he started stepping on it hard and it lost the sound and I almost facepalmed lol.
    @08kgraves- Are you concerned about not being able to put the power down effectively? That car in the video hardly seems driveable haha.
    On BFG DR's that's a drag car (strip only or not you don't normally street those tires), and he mentioned it was only 38* at the beginning. Im surprised he didn't put it in the ditch lol. He shouldn't have any traction when they and the roads are that cold haha.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I thought only jeeps had steering stabs. Lol

They are not common on cars but some out there have them.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    well the build would be mostly for a strip car lol. and if i have to i will run slicks but i would like to just run a dot approved tire of some sort so that i can still run the stock class if possible. but then again the stock class doesnt allow any aftermarket electronics which i would probably need a piggyback fuel system to get enough fuel during boost. thats part of the reasone i was going to go n/a so i wouldnt have to worry about any of that. my car currently has 185/65R14 tires i would be wanting to run atleast a 225 width but i dont know the other demensions to try and keep speedo accurate off hand. and i would probably never drive it anything bellow 50 deg because i might strip then entire car out lol.
    Drag It!

heres a 2.4L srt-4 mini van for you guys. these are all more or less the engine that i want to put in my car. just the turbo version.

turn your spearkers up for this one!

Drag It!

Going to the strip after work. Got into the 17's so I'm gonna go for consistancy and see how far i make it. No launching at 2500rpms and shifting myself. Just idle launches with foot to the floor. I'll try and post times after every pass to.
    Drag It!

On way to track now
    Drag It!

18.010 at 78.83 mph.
    .379 rt

Not bad for first run right off the street with an idle launch
    Drag It!

18.059 at 78.61mph

.219 rt
    Drag It!

17.943 at 79.21mph

Red lit with -.008 rt....... Oops lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    How are you staging?
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

Last practice run

17.948 at 79.58 mph

Red lit again -.010.

Staging regular not deep

In staging to start racing now
    Drag It!

Apparently i can never win even 1 round..............

Dial was 17.93

Ran a 17.938

.147 rt

Guy that beat me...........

Dial 12.65

Ran a 12.714

.012 rt

So I lost because of reaction time
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Staging deep won't help anything, it's good you don't do that. When I stage I make it so the light has just barely turned on, that gives me room to get moving before the time starts ticking.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

well i went down to the guys house today with the 2.4 swap neon. we talked from about lunch to about 4pm when me and my friend were bored and started to roadtrip down in that general direction. but we ended up there, talked more about the trade, i showed him many more pics of both my dakota and whatnot. might be getting rid of my racemaxx and parts for it just so i can get all the extra parts including a set of brand new slicks mounted on wheels with only 2 passes down track on them.

after all the pics he seemed much much much more intrested in the trade.

and i must say i liked the car before from just seeing it, but after driving it.....................

holy cow that thing is a whole nother type of animal jesus. you cant keep the tires from spinning with the $400 new clutch in it in combination of the practically solid motor mounts. he told me to take it out and beat on it to see what it had............. well i left wheels spinning through first then second and finally caught traction in third. and this thing is only a stock 2.4 more or less with a cold air intake, and an underdrive pully........................... my god does this thing haul! i wanted it before but now i have to have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Unless I am mistaken isn't your neon an ACR?
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Looks like just a Neon 4dr, the ACR's were stripped down Neons with far better suspension parts, aluminum wheels, not sure about the first gen but the SRT-ACR's had thicker floorpans to help stiffen the unibody.
    Aw, Biscuits!

no mines not, just a base model. i took the side moldings off which is the only way to actually identify an acr from another neon. acr's had adjustable coil overs stock, stiffer suspension, fog light bumpers with no fog lights, no power inside, no power steering, pretty much no anything lol. not sure if the first gens had aluminum wheels at all though.

found this:

ACR

The ACR Neon, available with either the SOHC or DOHC engine, featured four-wheel disc brakes, Arvin non-adjustable struts for 1995–1996 models and Koni adjustable dampers for 1997–1999 models, thicker anti-sway bars, fast-ratio steering, heavy-duty front wheel hubs, and a five-speed manual transmission with a numerically higher .81 fifth gear and final drive ratio of 3.94 for quicker acceleration. 1995 through 1997 models featured adjustable camber. The computer-controlled speed limiter was removed from 1995 ACR models (limited to 135 mph (217 km/h) on later models), and ABS was also, to save weight. The ACR offers no badging to distinguish it from other Neon models; the only visible differences are a bumper with fog light holes, but no fog lights and a lack of side moldings. In 1995, the ACR was only offered to SCCA members, but in subsequent years it was available to the general public. The name "ACR" was initially the internal ordering code for the "Competition Package", as it was termed in dealer materials; however, as knowledge of the model spread, the ACR name stuck. The backronym "American Club Racer" was coined due to its popularity with club and grassroots racers.
    R/T

The R/T model (Road/Track) debuted in the 1998 model year. Offered only with a 5-speed DOHC configuration, the R/T featured many of the ACR's mechanical upgrades including the numerically higher ratio 3.94 5-speed manual transmission, with the .81 5th gear and 135 mph speed limit. The R/T, however, was intended for the street, with more comfort and convenience features standard or available, and specialized parts like the adjustable dampers removed, although the dampers as well as the front coil springs found on R/T models were slightly stiffer, offering an advantage over standard model Neons. R/Ts featured optional stripes over the top of the car, silver "R/T" badging on the front door panels and the right side of the trunk deck lid, and a functional wing. The "Stripe Delete" option was available from the factory, but with no credit to the Neon's price. All striped R/Ts (black, red, blue) had silver colored stripes, with the exception of the White R/Ts, which came with dark blue colored stripes
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 06-08-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Drag It!

so we came to a deal today. i now proudly own a 96 dodge neon with a 2.4 swap

i will start a thread on just it, but thought i would post it in this one real quick.
    Drag It!

well the neon started to not run again. long story short i replaced a vss (vehicle speed sensor) which i thought fixed it but i guess its the harness again. so i pulled it back out and am going completely through it. so far i found a few damaged wires i missed last time i pulled it out so im repairing them as we speak as well as putting a heat sheath over the wires in common problem area under the exhaust by crank sensor wires. ive also seperated the meaty wire that runs from the alternator around to the starter so i can pull the harness out easier if i ever need to again. just thought i would share my issues with everyone lol
    Drag It!

so im pretty much done repairing my wire harness but now that i tore it all apart theres are like 25 different wires going different ways since no wires are ran together at the moment. so tomorrow im going to put the harness in (just lay out plugs everywhere) so i can establish what needs to be ran where, wrap up all the wires properly, then go and put some heat shielding in where needed as well. then the harness will be done for sure and hopefully for good!
    Drag It!

my two neons together

Drag It!

so the car was giving me some weird overheating issue on shutdown and whatnot but long story short i have a minor blown head gasket and the compression from the engine is pushing air into my coolant system. this is the cause of my weird overheating issue as well as it running hotter than normal. so in a bit i get to go spend like $220 on a felpro head gasket kit, new head bolt kit, and a lifetime warranty water pump because it was the only thing that didnt get replaced when i did the timing belt when i put this motor in the car. and they are supposed to be changed together. plus its supposed to be changed at 100,000 miles and its now up to about 140,000 lol.
    Drag It!

well went and got my gasket kit today. also got a new water pump and the new head bolts are made by felpro as well, so that was kind of cool i thought. after i got home i looked into the gasket kit and was surprised to see that it even came with new valve stem seals. which was awesome............. that bad part was i had to go back to town and get a valve spring compressor lol. so tomorrow i plan to wake up at decent hour and start tearing the car down. my goal is to hopefully, and i say hopefully get the car put back together tomorrow as well. i also picked up some feeler gauges so i can check and make sure head and block are both still square and not warped.
    Drag It!

wow so i really need to update this................. short version............. nothing is warped from the blown head gasket, got plenty of pics from all the work. still not done by the way though. so i think i will just wait to post it all at the end. updating it on the neon forum as i go. heres the link if anyone wants to check it out before i get it up.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=397207
    Drag It!

Removing or loosening that pivot bolt=imminent disaster.

Another reason to ditch the hydraulic and go with a Litens mechanical tensioner.
    http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=276308
    Years ago when there was no other way except hydraulic, there were many reports of the pivot bolt grenading engines when people mistakenly loosened that bolt.
    Drag It!

ok, heres some pics fo the work

this is why i originally thought my car just needed a coolant flush

battery and 3.0 cai removed

my setup in case it started to rain (which it did)

anyone got a good fix for the broken battery box? seems i see alot of neons with this issue

so would this be the diy shift mod? it just a spring that keeps tention on the kickdown cable. seems to work way better that its there.

battery box removed, one fan removed

other fan removed, intake manifold removed

motor mounts off, crank pully off, timing belt off

i have more pictures still but i need to upload them. i got the head pulled off all the way and i got all the valves pulled out last night. debating more and more on if i should block off the egr. think imight have while i have it all off though.
    Drag It!

so i dont think i could get any luckier. called junk yard and they had 2 options. one was for an 03 but didnt know if it would work. if it did he said i could have it for $30 since the head was already pulled on it and it was right there in open. the other was for a first gen, but it was a good assembled engine he would have to pull it out of so he said $45 for that one. so i drove in to look at the 03 and guess what its a mechanical style aftermarket almost brand new. some surface rust that will come right off by the looks of it and thats only because theres no timing belt cover on it now. but i still get it for $30, so ill post a pic of it later just so you guys can see the light surface rust. im going back tomorrow to pick it up.
    Drag It!