Say's the Subaru owner.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    lol Honda, Toyota or Nissan can't stand any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979chevy. View Post
    Why would a screw cost too much? I can't see that unless incorporating the screw into the design was the reason.
    A $.05 set screw when spread over a million cars, that's $50,000 dollars extra spent on just the screw, not including the labor to install it or the work on the diff to make it thread in..........unfortunetly, some accountants put pennies per car over real and percieved reliability (as it was this case) or in Ford's case, human life (Explorer, Bronco 2, Pinto, ect)

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    the neons in first gen from 95-99 only came with a 3 speed auto (no overdrive) or a 5 speed manual tranny. few different gear ratios though depending on the exact model. but the biggest problem with the tranies from dodge is that they left the line pressure to low so that the clutches would slip more and allow for a smoother shift. well these clutches slipping more burns them up way faster. just so you all know lol. you can fix this with a slight line pressure adjustment (if you know what your doing). but im thinking i might try and trade my 4x4 truck for another neon to have. not sure if i would daily that one or the christmas one. guess depends on the condition of it. but that way i can slowly build it up. probably start with a basic 2.4 swap and 5 speed swap if atx. then go from there slowly as money provides lol.
    I forgot that the first gen Neon's only had the 3 speeds too, wonder if that line preasure change was made from the 80's turbo cars I had to the later ones, I was able to get more than 100k each on two different transaxles in my cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    That's a shame. Especially since one of them is #4 on the ring and better than 99% of the cars available for purchase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
    After seeing my parents '06 Town and Country (bought new) need more work in 50k miles than my Cherokee has needed in the last 100k (bought used at 54k and currently has 156k) and seeing that after Fiat took over, the first thing done was that Chrysler was allowed to spend an extra $100 per car on just the interiors over what Daimler and Cerberus allowed for, that tells me a lot. The interior in my 200 Touring is night and day better than the '06 T&C Touring my parents own and my sister's '06 Charger SE. I bought the lifetime extended warranty Chrysler offers jst in case, but I hope for Chrysler's (and to some extent Fiat's) sake, I'm just being slightly paranoid.
    Aw, Biscuits!

this is how both of the front rotors were when i changed them

That's worse than my brother-in-law's Grand Am--who said they were not squeaking for long:

As a result, his white car now has orange rust spots all down the side due to the brake fluid leaking out and finding its way to the panels.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    That's worse than my brother-in-law's Grand Am--who said they were not squeaking for long:

As a result, his white car now has orange rust spots all down the side due to the brake fluid leaking out and finding its way to the panels.
    That's crazy
    Matthew 7:7

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    After seeing my parents '06 Town and Country (bought new) need more work in 50k miles than my Cherokee has needed in the last 100k (bought used at 54k and currently has 156k) and seeing that after Fiat took over, the first thing done was that Chrysler was allowed to spend an extra $100 per car on just the interiors over what Daimler and Cerberus allowed for, that tells me a lot. The interior in my 200 Touring is night and day better than the '06 T&C Touring my parents own and my sister's '06 Charger SE. I bought the lifetime extended warranty Chrysler offers jst in case, but I hope for Chrysler's (and to some extent Fiat's) sake, I'm just being slightly paranoid.
    Unless your Jeep is pre 1998 then chances are Daimler/Mercedes played a big role in its production. Even the current Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep line up uses a lot of Mercedes parts. For example the 2011 Cherokee is just a cheap Mercedes ML class.

Sadly the Neon did not get the same treatment. If it had been based on the Mercedes A class it would have offered a lot better performance stock. Just the lower body would have made it faster.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    Unless your Jeep is pre 1998 then chances are Daimler/Mercedes played a big role in its production. Even the current Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep line up uses a lot of Mercedes parts. For example the 2011 Cherokee is just a cheap Mercedes ML class.

Sadly the Neon did not get the same treatment. If it had been based on the Mercedes A class it would have offered a lot better performance stock. Just the lower body would have made it faster.
    My Cherokee was built in early '98, before the Germans bought and started their pillage of Chrysler Corperation. All they really did was take the money Chrysler had, took money that should have been used to build vehicles properly (or as close to that they were after Iacocca retired) ,Daimer did Chrysler no favors.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Competitor
    Ricers are such a joke. There are countless amounts of them in my community. They always make the mistake of trying to race me. They are such stupid cars.
    Subaru's are ok (I can still beat them )
    But the stupid old honda's and toyota's and cars like that with those huge OBNOXIOUS exhaust pipes are so awful. They attract all that noise and attention, yet they are always beat up pieces of junk and ALWAYS slow. They are always looking to race too. I just don't get it.

RC Competitor
    Ricers are such a joke. There are countless amounts of them in my community. They always make the mistake of trying to race me. They are such stupid cars.
    Subaru's are ok (I can still beat them )
    But the stupid old honda's and toyota's and cars like that with those huge OBNOXIOUS exhaust pipes are so awful. They attract all that noise and attention, yet they are always beat up pieces of junk and ALWAYS slow. They are always looking to race too. I just don't get it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    My Cherokee was built in early '98, before the Germans bought and started their pillage of Chrysler Corperation. All they really did was take the money Chrysler had, took money that should have been used to build vehicles properly (or as close to that they were after Iacocca retired) ,Daimer did Chrysler no favors.
    They didn't do a whole lot for them and I wont forgive them for canceling the T-Rex but they did help. Just the technology that Chrysler is walking away with was worth the merger.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

i know an srt-4 neon has a mercedes transmission. thats why a clutch is like $700 acording to a srt-4 owner atleast lol. true or not im not sure, but he seemed to know his stuff pretty well so i wouldnt be surprised at all.

[B]on a side note.............[B]

i went to the strip again dont have the slips with me as there in the car so ill post them all tomorrow but my best time was a 17.786

and my last run of the night back in time trials after racing was a 17.788

your supposed to go on the last yellow light before green to get a good reaction time, but needles to say i went on the second to last light first race so i red lit by like .2 something............ it was bad, i was so mad at myself to because i was getting my reaction time down to .014............. almost perfect, it time trials, then i messed up hardcore first round.

oh well, theres always another night, i was just happy to hit 17's so i forked out $20 to buy a professional pic that they took ill get a pic of it, but it wont be as good as the real one to warn you now, gotta take a pic of the pic lol

and on another good note, i meant another neon enthusiast. and guess what he has.....................

a 2.4L swap just like i want to do

it wasnt running right, but he hit a high 15 finally at the end with the 5 speed. he said when it does run right its a 14 sec car all day long.

and he has his battery relocated to the right side under the bumper. hard to see but i know what to do basically to put mine there now. so it will no longer be going in the trunk as planned. i think it will work great there, cus the motor is in the center and trans is on the driver side. so it should give me better weight distribution being there. but its time for bed then work in the morning now.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I would turbo your car before swapping the engine. Considering how close the two are you could probably bolt the turbo onto the 2.4 later on.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

to really turbo these cars i would need a dohc head and the turbo manifold. along with the dohc intake, timing componets and everything else. but your right i could use it all after the swap because the 2.0 dohc head and the 2.4 dohc head are actually 100% identical. and putting the 2.0 dohc head on my sohc block would lower the compression enough for me to run i believe 13psi on a bone stock engine. now i wouldnt run that high for risk of it blowing on me and it being my daily driver. but........... i want to get another neon so i would be more than willing to do so to it. the guy with the 2.4 swap paid $200 for the shell of the car, then $700 for the motor with low mileage on it. im going to post my 4x4 truck on craigslist this weekend probably to trade for another neon. but i will only do little things to my daily neon for not wanting the down time and all. if i can get it into the 16's i will be more than content with that number for it.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Technically a DOHC is better than a SOHC. But it really comes down to the rest of the engine. Considering how cheap turbo's have become and what it would cost to replace your entire engine which you want to do anyways I feel installing a turbo would produce the most power for the price. And if your engine does die then you have all the parts needed to turbo your replacement 2.4. You just have to work out that daily driver issue.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

i was looking at some prices last night, for a decent turbo and all the piping i need and everything along with the intercooler im looking at easily $600 +

but i know where i can pick up a 2.4 engine for $250 right now on the spot then i only need a motor mount adapter, and a few random brackets and whatnot that i can pick up at any junk yard for under $100 for all of it. see my dilema here? lol

and since last night ive even been thinking about building an all motor 2.4 instead of a turbo. i mean if its either going to be going in a track only car then i want consistancy for bracket racing. then i have no tuning issues with the turbo, i dont need a piggy back computer, none of it. and it will be cheaper in the long run and still wicked fast.
    Drag It!

just looked on the neon forum. doesnt say if its a 2.4 swap or still a 2.0 but theres people running low 10's on all motor. dude ran a 10.02 at 134mph and i was going to be content with a 13 second car lol. as long as i can leave pretty much any honda in the dust im happy lol.

but yeah im thinking all motor since i dont know alot about turbos anyway. plus it costs alot to get them tuned properly lol
    Drag It!

RC Competitor
    Anybody ever put v8's in neons?
    That would be the ultimate sleeper car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    Would a neon handle the torque?

ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC Champion
    Not a neon but;

LS-2 powered wrx,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3P0f...eature=related

67 stang we should line up so you can eat your word's! lol.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    Not a neon but;

LS-2 powered wrx,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3P0f...eature=related

67 stang we should line up so you can eat your word's! lol.
    You mean you want to race?

RC Champion
    If you would, I mean I only have a little 2 liter engine. LOL.

RC Competitor
    My Eleanor has over 880 hp at the crank. You would be making a BIG mistake trying to race me.

RC Qualifier
    i'll line up against your 880hp at the crank i bet i would make a good race with my 114hp at the wheel and 62lbs torque.. needless to say with these specs i do 0-60 in 3.2sec and 1/4 mile in 10.8sec...

oh and awesome job graves i had a 95 neon dohc 5 speed and i loved the thing i bought it for 300 and put a paint job on it and drove that thing for two years and 15,000 miles and sold it for 1500 was thinking of doing the swap for the 2.4L but decided to put money into my other projects
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Competitor
    The one time I went to the drag strip I did a 10.3 and I was short shifting

RC Qualifier
    nice run stang my fast is a 10.77 but ur also pushing 700+more hp than me...anyways back to the neon graves that paint job will look god and i think you should do the orange bottom half in burnt orange that would really make it stand out with the black top. and for the battery relocation definetly do it in the passenger side bumper since ull want the weight up there for the traction anything helps..
    Extended P2de and Mini Summit

RC Champion
    My Eleanor has over 880 hp at the crank. You would be making a BIG mistake trying to race me.
    Maybe yes, maybe no, 2 liter running low boost (17lbs.) still 425 at the wheel's, now 26lbs. that is another story. Pickin' fun. if you want to go on the dirt where I prefer to drive and not just straight but corner's then I know I would be visiting victory lane. It's not all about the straight line speed.

Maybe i'm late to ask this. don't the police stops you after you altered your car's color or you did took you car's regestration papers to the police first and notify them with new color you're going to add?

here, if someone changed the car color w/o changing the color first at the police data he would be jailed at first police check point.

RC Champion
    just looked on the neon forum. doesnt say if its a 2.4 swap or still a 2.0 but theres people running low 10's on all motor. dude ran a 10.02 at 134mph and i was going to be content with a 13 second car lol. as long as i can leave pretty much any honda in the dust im happy lol.

but yeah im thinking all motor since i dont know alot about turbos anyway. plus it costs alot to get them tuned properly lol
    I dont think such a small engine can produce enough power to run 10's with out forced induction. What you should look for is a 2.4 that has a factory turbo. You could get one from a SRT-4 or Pt cruiser.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Competitor
    What onroad tracks have you raced at? We could compare times perhaps.
    And regarding dirt, I'm sure your subaru could win in a track race, but doing desert offroading like baja 5000 style my Ford Raptor would take the win.
    What kind of offroading do you do in your subaru?

RC Champion
    Not that I know of, at least not while still being FWD, even chopped up and converted to rwd, a V-8 is a tight fit IIRC. I have heard of people dropping the 3.3l and 3.8l Minivan motors into those and PT Cruisers though!

Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    Would a neon handle the torque?

Maybe after going all out and caging the thing.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Local stuff, autocross event's, stage race's. I live in Italy so none that you have been on. Baja style, my subaru owould not even make it 10 feet in that mess! You have any trouble's with the Raptor?

the turbo build i was going to do is essentially an srt-4 but it was the motor before the srt-4 which was non turbo. but basically the same motor. difference is that in 03 when the srt-4 started they switched the type of crank sensor to halls effect i believe where the old one was a permenant magnet. a 2.0 dohc engine harness and pcm from a neon will power the 2.4 with simply either putting the newer neon fuel pressure regulator in it or by putting larger injectors in it. either one works. and then i can just use all the other srt-4 parts if i wanted or get aftermarket parts for an srt-4. but if i wanted a true srt-4 motor, i would have to chop and modify the heck out of the wire harness, move pins around, use parts of the srt harness, use the gauges, need the computer and 500 other expensive parts. but if i use a 95-02 maybe 00 cant remember off hand stratus 2.4 motor they can be found way cheaper, build up for just as much power, and be powered by a stock neon control unit more or less.

but although it may be a small engine it is very possible to run 10's with n/a and no forced induction. the 2.4 swap with a five speed and all stock motor brings these cars down to the 14's alone. which is right around the same area a stock srt-4 runs sadly lol.

and yes there have been neons with v-8's in them. heres a thread to one for anyone who wants to check it out

http://forum.1gn.org/viewtopic.php?t...er=asc&start=0

1G / 2G all-motor
    1. Scott Mohler / 1G Coupe / 10.02 @ 134
    2. Ryan Warner / 1G coupe / 10.84 @ 124
    3. Steve Kalesia / 1G coupe / 11.97 @ 112.5
    4. Circuitos RedV / 1G coupe / 12.24 @ 113
    5. Jeff Ball / NYG Sedan / 12.31 @ 112
    6. Jacob Kinnett / 1G Coupe / 13.379 @ 101.07

and heres a 160mph in a neon, with the owner hitting 186 as top speed

Drag It!

heres the pic from track

Drag It!

RC Competitor
    No it does quite well in the really rough stuff.
    Man I bet autocrossing in a 4wd Subaru is a blast. I used to do it about 25 years ago with a BMW 2002, now though I don't have any cars that would actually be fun on a tight track like autocrossing.
    I am however building another mustang that I will keep for awhile and it's going to be a track car. I've been in contact with Shelby and they say they could sell me their new 1,000hp engine, so I'm thinking about putting that in the race mustang.

RC Champion
    Did someone say RICER? This is the ultimate 2.0 liter.

http://youtu.be/-B-KkHqJsGM?hd=1
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Champion
    heres the pic from track

You took it out on a track? Nice
    Matthew 7:7

which time? lol this is from wed, i was there friday to run but got rained out, and the wed before that as well. didnt go today though since it was raining all day.

posted my 4x4 truck on craigslist to trade for another neon. so we shall see how that goes.
    Drag It!

gonna do a little junk yarding for my car today. hope to pick up a marker light socket, and maybe a 95 neon head for my cam swap i want to do.
    Drag It!

well started pulling a head, but forgot i need a jack since i have to remove a motor mount and what not. so ill pay 75 vs 40 and have someone pull one with everything i need at a different junk yard. but i did get my marker light socket. and picked up a chrome fuel rail just because. and bought a brand new motor mount since mine was pretty well trashed.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Now you just need some paint.
    Oderint Dum Metuant