Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    out with the old

getting ready for the new

in with the new

the evil pivot bolt that apparently is never supposed to be touched.................

just replaced the pully not long ago.......... can you tell?

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

you know what they say..... a clean engine is a happy engine

head bolts all loosened

head pulled off. i think cylinder 4 was the leak. not by much but worst of the options and its like you can see a small gap in head gasket marks.

cylinder 1 on left, 2 on the right

cylinder 3 on left, 4 on right. notice how 4 is the only one remotely dirty compared to others? only one with dirty intake valve as well.

not 100% sure but i think this is the head side of the head gasket

meaning this should be the block side of the head gasket.

Drag It!

how she sits waiting...... rag covering block with valve cover on top holding the old head bolts

bedroom mechanics going down now lol. sucks not having a garage lol

tearing down head for new valve stem seals

all valves out

white soot build up in manifold and covering 02 sensor? what causes this?

heres how i found the litens tentioner in the junkyard on an 03 neon

gotta make sure she stays dry with no head on car.

all back together valve wise atleast

prepping egr block off brackets to be made

Drag It!

picked up this chrome fuel rail a while back in the junkyard. was always to lazy to put it on till now. i figured since i got new injector o-rings why not install then along with the chrome fuel rail at the same time.

so the pully spins freely but after a little light sanding and some pb blaster it looks decent again and spins amazingly.

look any better? lol

rough cut done on the egr block off plates

Drag It!

intake side of egr block off done and installed with new gasket. also cleaned the throttle body which was black. its now spotless......

head side of the egr block off done. just need shorter bolts now.

fit great with the new bolts. other then the plate wasnt thick enough so it bowed leaving a visible gap on its own. heres how it looked though

so here from left to right is the egr, egr block off plate, gasket, head

bolts together nicely now. ill get a thicker flat plate made one of these days lol

rear timing cover trimmed for the mechanical tentioner

Drag It!

oooohhhhhhhhhhh shinny................ new head gasket for the win

starting to look like an engine again

i spy with my little eye........... an egr block off plate

now i see why the sleeve needs cut down............. just had to break the nut free

and cut down sleeve now

so shes pretty much ready to go back together now the rest of the way
    Drag It!

tensioner installed

Drag It!

so im thinking my o2 sensor might finally be going out more. ive been getting an off and on code for o2 sensor for i think a couple years now lol. i dont remember which sensor it was for but my guess is upstream. since it does control the fuel. well lately ive been just eating gas up in my car lol. i know part of it is due to eliminating the egr system but its bad now. im wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that i blocked it all off but left the solenoid plugged in still. im wonering if its trying to operate and adjusting fuel ratio when it does. anyone eliminate the egr on their newer vehicle? and by newer i just mean obd2 system. what all did you do when you did it?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Egr problems will not lead to o2 codes. You're more likely to have a downstream o2 problem on most obd2 cars, but your pistons are black and that upstream sensor looks like it's cooked. Knowing you had a head gasket issue tells me the upstream sensor should be replaced.....and a good scan tool will tell you which sensor it is.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

hey lube, i will agree with you on the upstream part. as well as the good scan tool part. but you do know that the downstream does nothing at all pretty much right? its only goal in life really is to see if you get the same reading as the upstream or a different reading. if you get the same reason that means your catalytic converter is not working which is why the reading is the same. its just there to turn on the check engine light for this situation. the upstream controls all the fuel though. there is one other little thing it does but i cant remember what that would be offhand (for downstream i mean). but yeah any halfway decent scanner is going to tell me bank 1 sensor 1 (upstream) or bank 1 sensor 2 (downstream).

the reason i said part of it being from the egr is this............ since i blocked off the egr system there is no reused air coming back into the intake, only clean air with no left over fuel mixture. no left over fuel mixture means that it has to add more fuel all the time to keep the proper fuel ratio of 14.7:1. and because it adds more fuel all the time that equals not as good of gas mileage as before.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Yes I do understand the downstream's purpose is for emissions, but it may be wise to change that after you do the upstream sensor. I had a master mechanic tell me once that the downstream sensor will kind of "fill in" for the upstream if necessary, but I think the ecu just goes back to it's parameters in that instance.
    The ecu should compensate for no egr by using the o2 sensor to adjust afr's. You also have to remember that the egr isn't always open anyway. Not having one should give you a "egr circuit low voltage" code in most cases. Btw, 14.7:1 is only stoich, and most cars are running around 13:1 or less for safety reasons. A good turbo setup will be 12:1 or even 11:1.
    With a proper o2 sensor in place and in closed loop your ecu will always be trying to achieve the ideal afr.

Yup you are correct on pretty much all of that. Most people don't know all that so I try not to say things the complex way if possible lol. But your right on the money there. Egr is open more when food to try and warm the engine up faster. After its warm it will just go off and on as needed
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    LOL I'm not formally educated like you though, it's been trial and error+experience. I just have a basic kind of "bits and pieces" understanding of it all. I've always been pretty good with diagnostics and driveability issues. I will tell you this though, I haven't paid a mechanic for any mechanical repairs including mount and balance in well over ten years! I do it myself and I'm very proud of it. I do have body shop training from 2 years of vocational schooling in high school, but my paint+body knowledge is pretty much out-dated since I haven't done it for a living in about 17 years.

experience is key in pretty much any situation lol. the older the car though the easier it is to diagnose without a computer though. its mechanical so you can actually take things apart and clean them, adjust them and so on lol. newer cars that are obd2 get much tougher because all the sensors. one low voltage and your entire car may not even try to start, but when they are working properly there much more effective. its all about what you know to try and test lol.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Tell me about it. My wife's 07 grand prix had a code for the secondary cooling fan! That car was still under warranty back then but we ended up getting rid of it anyway. That thing had more codes in 3 years than my 98 monte has had in 7 years lol.

right lol, the thing i like about dodge is that atleast they have a generic way for you to see codes yourself still. if you turn the key forward and back 3 times leaving it forward on the last it will flash the check engine light in a sequence. you can count this and right it down to get a basic idea of whats going on. for example on my neon. it will flash 1 time then pause. then it will flash 2 more times then pause. this means code 12 then it will flash 2 times then pause, then flash 1 time and pause. so theres code 12, and code 21. then it will flash 5 times and pause then another 5 times and the light goes off. and i will also not that if light cel is on or off in the beginning it will be off during this until it flashes first time. after it starts flashing weather its for 1 code or 500 the light stays on inbetween flashes. its easy to look up the generic "key dance codes" as dodge calls it on the internet.

for mine and for those codes given they are as follows

12: battery was disconected at some point
    21: some type of issue with one or both of the o2 sensors weather its in heater circuit or something
    55: cycle complete. just there to let you know that there are no more codes.

so basically code 12 means nothing, code 21 means i have a problem with an o2 sensor (probably upper in my case by physical looks). and then code 55 just says ok thats all thats wrong with your car today lol.

granted it would be nice if this key dance method was more in depth even just by saying upstream sensor or downstream sensor i cant complain to much considering its some sort of way to help me find the problem. i just went through all the wiring so i know thats not the issue either so it has to be the actual sensor in my scenario. i figured out that my mpg went from about 40 down to about 23 lol.

newer dodges that have a digital gauge cluster with message box often just shows you a number or something vs flashing the check engine light like mine does. so that is nice lol
    Drag It!

so i spent like 6 hours yesterday cleaning nothing but interior. and i didnt even get the door panels or panels that run up the pillar posts everywhere. i took my center console out and apart to scrub it all. i took all my vents out and part and scrubbed them all. it looks amazing though

if someone wants to see some pics i can upload the few that i took.

and before all those shenanigans took place i changed my oil, checked my front brakes, checked and topped off fluids, and checked my tires in multiple places with a tread depth gauge as well as tire pressure. i planned on changing my oil pan gasket as its leaking some but thats apparently not as easy as i thought it would be. first after looking in my haynes manual i need a tube of rtv so put a bead in 2 small spots (might be where its leaking). next i have to take off the front motor mount to get to one bolt because of the shape of the bracket. and third because my car has ac i have to actually remove the oil filter "adapter" as the call it........ so yeah thats can wait till spring time and ill just add oil here and there for now lol. my brakes i thought i heard making some noise plus they pull to the left at first and then they even out. so come spring time im replaceing both front rubber lines. also have an air pocket i cant get out which makes sense since i couldnt get one of the bleaders open up front. so i might just replace both calipers as well. the right caliper may be not sliding properly because the pad is wearing at an angle. and next time im buying better pads lol. tires are wearing more on the outides of each tire then on the insides. that tells me they are under inflated. so much for the factory tire psi spec of 32psi......... so i bumped it up to 35psi and hopefully that will wear more evenly. car is more responsive in corners now though
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Looking really good, enjoy looking at this kind of stuff.
    Matthew 7:7

thanks chevy,

do you just like to see little things people do to make there stock car a little bit better? how the malibu coming of yours? i think it was a malibu lol. maybe monte carlo????? i cant remember off hand lol. but either way hows it going? lol havent seen any new posts in awhile.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I like to see improvement in anything man, and you've done a really good job with yours.
    Haha I wish, no mine's an Impala. I've got insurance tags and stickers so it's legal and I've taken it out on the highway for a bit. Pretty soon I'm gonna make a road trip of 80 miles just to test it out. It still needs an exhaust system, paint, and I would like a nice wrecked LS1 engine - tranny combo to slip in there, but that's not happening yet

But not to clog up your thread, carry on my friend

RC Qualifier
    Glad to see her coming along kenny. Those block offs are good for at least an extra 75-100hp right? lol
    Joshua 24:15 Choose this day who ye will serve

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010450x View Post
    Glad to see her coming along kenny. Those block offs are good for at least an extra 75-100hp right? lol
    Haha, I like it though.

RC Champion
    Could I block off the EGR and some other smog stuff on my engine? (305 V8)

you sure could, man, eliminate the egr, and the smog pump if it has it to free up some ponies. not much but hey it cuts down on weight as well.

if i was you i would eliminate the cats, run a 2 3/4" exhaust rougly all the way back with an x pipe in it as well into duel flowmasters. nice tone good flow. but just eliminating the egr, smog pump will help for now as well as the cats if you can.

i wish the egr removal freed up 75-100hp, that means i would be over 200 at the wheels then on a otherwise stock motor lol

i knew it was something like a malibu, same thing as an impala pretty much lol,

and thanks for the compliments guys.

i dont know when but it might have to get a 5 speed in the future because the auto is so slow in this car lol. would mind a built auto with a reverse manual valve body though...... hmmm ideas.............
    Drag It!

pics from cleaning her all up the other day

top one is how they all looked before i cleaned them. bottom is how they all looked after i cleaned them.

Drag It!

RC Champion
    One of the best 'upgrades' yet
    Haha I like a clean car

RC Champion
    Wait, I'm confused. Are your trying to get both cars fixed up or just going with one?

I'm just doing little things here and there to this one to make it a nicer daily driver and fast enough to get out of its own way. The 5 speed motor swap neon is my pride n joy though. Eventually I will get this one painted flat black as well, and would like to install a cam and 5 speed trans in future.
    Drag It!