Dogs with diabetes?

My chocolate lab has diabetes and I was wondering if it costs alot to keep her going. I know the medicine is 100$ a month but what about the other stuff? My parents might put her down
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

As the owner of an aging lab-mutt mix, I have thought long and hard about the differences in what we want and what is the most humane choice. Taking care of a diabetic dog would be very challenging; chasing them around for urine samples; watching their water intake; administering shots, pills don't yet work for dogs.

Living with diabetes as a person isn't easy but people can tell you how they feel and most diabetics know from their symptoms if their sugar is low or high. A dog can't tell you any of that, so you have to be vigilant in watching for the signs yourself. I would hate to be in your position, but as I said my dog is going on 10 years old and has had arthritis and torn ligament in her knee, for about half of them. She is still full of energy, but not nearly what she used to be, after a hard days playing (20-25 minutes) she will sleep through the night and wake up stiff for a few days just wanting to lay around. But I know she is still happy all the time, it's when she isn't that I know it will be time.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Thanks... Mines just over 2 years old though. I bet it uncommon for that age

it is uncommon for a 2yr old dog to have that. Is that dog on a diet, eats weight management food, doesnt eat table food, sweets like ice cream, well anything that is not in their dog food already? all these things play a huge role. also dont give so much treats like dog bones, teeth cleaners are considered treats as well. How much excerise does the dog get? diabetes for dogs can be harder than expected it can lead to the dog being blind. These things my friends are going through with their dog they found out he was diabetic then a couple months later he was blind and ran into a poll chasing a cat funny but sad at the same time. pedigree makes a good food or if you can buy Hills Science Diet food at the vet or pets smart is cheaper they make really good food. look at their website has some very helpful info there about the subject and what kind of food that will help.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Honestly we tryed everything. We tryed about 20 different dog food. She doesn't eat it. Maybe for 2 days tops. She was an out door dog. She was in a 20/30ft pen. Chocolate lab and was pretty fat though... 140 pounds but now she's only 74... She did get her blood checked last night and it was diabetes but I went to the LHS today and my dad talked to the owner who used to be a vet and he said it might be the paincrius that did it. She drinks alot.

The medicine is really expensive and the weekly blood tests are crazy expensive. We can't go on vacation anymore... I think my parents are going to put her down
    We've given here lots of treats some night because that's all she would eat. When she was fine she got 2-10 cookies a day..

the eating habits seem to be what was wrong. 140lbs is real big, i've seen another lab that big and he couldnt move at all hardly. medicine is very pricey thats for sure and lab work. 2-10 cookies before was alot. i bet the dog would eat it again she has gotton use to eating that so she doesnt want the food anymore. My friends have a dog as well that is really huge and she eats everything in site including cat food too wet & dry plus jerky treats, raw hide, table food of all sorts and has breathing problems now but they keep feeding it to the dog.
    it is sad to have to put a dog down but the dog is in more pain right now perhaps.

No she's fine though. Runs around like no tommorow but she is getting alot weaker with no food going in. Also whatever she eats if she does it comes back up her throat..She honestly wasn't to big. Just a tiny bit fat. But know she's bone skinny

have you guys taken her to petsmart to see what food she likes? sometimes if you explain you need to find out what food your dog likes and her condition then they will walk with you and open the very small bags for her to try or they have sample bags for them. may help. i dont think petco does that though only petsmart.

Yes been there done that.. Even tryed the vet food they suggested