Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC poster
    How does it work? Does it keep it pretty cool?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    How does it work? Does it keep it pretty cool?
    Sorry for answer late...Is working excellent and cool...Right now is hard to tell because here is raining and i am using the mamba monster right now...More power =
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...nterior-lg.jpg
    Check out this aluminum water jacket,its a bit large for the velineon,but one the right size would be awesome.
    I haven't read the hole thread so I'm sorry if this idea is a repeat,but a esc or heat sink fan behind the radiator would help drop temps even more.
    Nice set up tho.
    Very creative.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 06-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...nterior-lg.jpg
    Check out this aluminum water jacket,its a bit large for the velineon,but one the right size would be awesome.
    Thanks billy...I was looking an aluminium watercooling jacket for the 3500 and for the mamba (Why? I dont know)and i found some perfect for both...I think it was on "off shore electronics.com" but i dont remember...

Thanks again
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Saw your idea a while ago and was impressed buy your creativeness.
    Top notch job.
    Bet it feels good to make something of your own designee and see it work out as well as it has.
    As I said super cool.

RC Qualifier
    Saw your idea a while ago and was impressed buy your creativeness.
    Top notch job.
    Bet it feels good to make something of your own designee and see it work out as well as it has.
    As I said super cool.
    Thanks...
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Where can we found a radiator?

Good thinking!

WOW DBG, this thread has been brought from eighteen months ago.
    Now that's a good thread, way to go man.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by l_park View Post
    Where can we found a radiator?

Good thinking!
    I made my own radiator but you can find few places with radiator for watercooling computers like here:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/...FRDl7Aod4g8AOg
    Google (and ebay) are your friends
    WOW DBG, this thread has been brought from eighteen months ago.
    Now that's a good thread, way to go man.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by DBG; 09-10-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: ? lol
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Thanks, but the smallest is still to big for the merv.
    How have you done yours?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, but the smallest is still to big for the merv.
    How have you done yours?
    The radiator: I found this radiator in a very old and bad heater. I made holes for the cooper tubes.
    Maybe you can buy an used heater and remove only the radiator
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Competitor
    Could you use a waterproof/water cooled boat esc?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slashmaine View Post
    Could you use a waterproof/water cooled boat esc?
    Why not? i only need save few $$$ and find a esc with reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    After some seaching I've found a cooler used on CPU's with heat pipe techology that should work also..

What do you think? for this we don't need any pump

of course it will need some bending

RC Qualifier
    After some seaching I've found a cooler used on CPU's with heat pipe techology that should work also..

What do you think? for this we don't need any pump

of course it will need some bending
    Well...You can use an heatsink (and maybe with a fan) for cool the motor and the heatsink has less weight than the CPU cooler with the pipe technology, but you can use it if you want but i don't suggest you to use it...Just my opinion
    Last edited by DBG; 09-11-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: ? lol again
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Why don't you suggest? that system is used in recent laptop's that have high temperatures, and it uses no energy because we can put the radiator in front of the car to keep it cool..

I will try something with this and post some feedback

RC Qualifier
    Why don't you suggest? that system is used in recent laptop's that have high temperatures, and it uses no energy because we can put the radiator in front of the car to keep it cool..

Ok, so you want a watercooled motor? if so, what is the space we have? what are the dimensions?
    BTW: I like the pipes idea but you can find one perfect for the car...you need one homemade....
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA

Yes the water in the front mounted rad will be cool, but how do you circulate that cool water to the electronics without using energy???
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Thanks....
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    This one will be just the base for homemade one, off course I was just guessing, I don't know if it will work well, but I will give a try, I just wanted to know if anyone has this idea before, because in theory this will be much better than the water cooled system, and less inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DBG View Post
    Ok, so you want a watercooled motor? if so, what is the space we have? what are the dimensions?
    BTW: I like the pipes idea but you can find one perfect for the car...you need one homemade....

RC Qualifier
    This one will be just the base for homemade one, off course I was just guessing, I don't know if it will work well, but I will give a try, I just wanted to know if anyone has this idea before, because in theory this will be much better than the water cooled system, and less inexpensive.
    Like you said...in theory this should work and maybe it worth the try...

Remember this need to be specially made for the truck and there are few limitations...look:
    Heat pipes must be tuned to particular cooling conditions. The choice of pipe material, size and coolant all have an effect on the optimal temperatures at which heat pipes work.
    When heated above a certain temperature, all of the working fluid in the heat pipe vaporizes and the condensation process ceases; in such conditions, the heat pipe's thermal conductivity is effectively reduced to the heat conduction properties of its solid metal casing alone. As most heat pipes are constructed of copper (a metal with high heat conductivity), an overheated heatpipe will generally continue to conduct heat at around 1/80 of the original conductivity.
    In addition, below a certain temperature, the working fluid will not undergo phase change, and the thermal conductivity is reduced to that of the solid metal casing. One of the key criteria for selecting a working fluid is the desired operational temperature range of the application. The lower temperature limit typically occurs a few degrees above the freezing point of the working fluid.
    Most manufacturers cannot make a traditional heat pipe smaller than 3 mm in diameter due to material limitations (though 1.6 mm thin sheets can be fabricated). Experiments have been conducted with micro heat pipes, which use piping with sharp edges, such as triangular or rhombus-like tubing. In these cases, the sharp edges transfer the fluid through capillary action, and no wick is necessary.[citation needed]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe#Limitations
    But good luck and don't forget make a thread for see your progress
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    Thanks DBG, I will make a thread

By the way, thats a good article there

RC Qualifier
    Thanks DBG, I will make a thread

By the way, thats a good article there
    If you need any help, I am here
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

With the wide range of temps an rc motor operates at and in, heat pipe wont be a very efficient cooling system.
    Especially since water is the only logical fluid to be used.
    There is a lot more technology to heat pipe cooling than meats the eye.
    But if we never experiment we never learn.
    Good luck I park.

RC Racer
    i know this is the water cooled thread but just had an idea of using sheet plastic to fabricate an air channel more or less an actual functioning scoop to flow air over the esc a forced air circulation situation it would be far lighter than any water system or heat tube set up

Quote Originally Posted by armorred_slash View Post
    i know this is the water cooled thread but just had an idea of using sheet plastic to fabricate an air channel more or less an actual functioning scoop to flow air over the esc a forced air circulation situation it would be far lighter than any water system or heat tube set up
    This is a good idea and used on the xo-1, only issue is it would have to be going pretty fast to have a real cooling effect.
    I've been toying with the idea of buying an xo-1 and have been told about 50+ mph is necessary to create enough air flow for a worth wild cooling system, which the xo-1 has no issue with, however the slash on a track or bashing may find this a unobtainable goal.

RC Qualifier
    With the wide range of temps an rc motor operates at and in, heat pipe wont be a very efficient cooling system.
    Especially since water is the only logical fluid to be used.
    There is a lot more technology to heat pipe cooling than meats the eye.
    But if we never experiment we never learn.
    Good luck I park.
    I didnt wanted pop the bubble on that way, But thanks Billy...
    That's one problem with the heat pipe cooling...

Quote Originally Posted by armorred_slash View Post
    This is a good idea and used on the xo-1, only issue is it would have to be going pretty fast to have a real cooling effect.
    I've been toying with the idea of buying an xo-1 and have been told about 50+ mph is necessary to create enough air flow for a worth wild cooling system, which the xo-1 has no issue with, however the slash on a track or bashing may find this a unobtainable goal.
    ^^^And that's why most of RC cars don't use the forced air to cool the electronics...Excellent explained Billy and Thanks again
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    DBG, that's awesome to see what you've done. Engineering the first phase, seeing the benefit, then improving with well thought out additions. I read the whole thread and from page 1 I kept thinking:
    "when will he throw a fan in... when will he throw a fan in... when will he throw a fan in...?"

Then he threw two fans in! LOL I love your work and how you're happy to share.

RC poster
    That truely is some innovative work there. But in my opinion its really not worth it.. Sure it keeps it a bit cooler than a heatsink or even a heatsink with fan(which I personally despise). The motor is meant to get a little hot...a proper heatsink will do the job just fine. I still love your genious in this device though.

Sure it keeps it a bit cooler than a heatsink or even a heatsink with fan(which I personally despise). The motor is meant to get a little hot...a proper heatsink will do the job just fine.
    A little warm yes(160*), not a lot(180*+), moreover a heat sink alone isn't always proficient. Additionally a fan that's properly installed is more effective then a heat sink, a castle motor fan does a remarkable job of dissipating heat.
    Then we have esc's, most of which come with or offer heat-sink fan combinations, they must be doing something right.
    Many people live in areas where the ambient temps are in the 90*+ range, these folks battle heat issues on a regular basis.
    I respect your opinion but dont coincide, while DBG's designee has its down falls, it is(as we both agree) an intelligent, and imo forward approach.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-18-2013 at 09:14 AM.

RC poster
    Yeah, I know about the ambient temps effecting motor temps. I live in southern california man, where Im at I get 100+F during the summer. I dunno, maybe I just dont run my truck as hard as others. Thats a possibility I didnt really put any consideration into.

Anyway, I dont like using the fans because they always get clogged up by dirt and small pebbles, which burns out the fan on most occasions. Ive gone through a metric crud ton of different heatsink fans from different companies in various track conditions. Every single one has crudded out in one way or another.

They are ok for on road use and hard packed dirt, but in my experience anything other than that the fan is bound to be destroyed. Who the heck knows, maybe Im just cursed to fail with tiny fans. XD
    Last edited by RC.Furry; 09-19-2013 at 06:01 AM.

They are ok for on road use and hard packed dirt, but in my experience anything other than that the fan is bound to be destroyed. Who the heck knows, maybe Im just cursed to fail with tiny fans. XD
    No I agree with the fact most rc motor fans if not maintained have a short life expectancy, in fact I clean my mamba max pro fans out on a daily basis when I know they'll be needed.
    If I dont they will malfunction do to dirt and other debris in short order.
    I thought you were stating they didn't do the job, sorry about that.
    Most of these little fans are brush-less, so if obstructed they wont burn out, their also easy to remove, clean and reinstall.
    Perhaps I'm one of the few that do this on a regular basis, at times I wish they weren't temperature controlled, if they ran continuous they would be less app to failure do to dust and dirt, my sidewinder fans seem to be issue free.
    maybe I just dont run my truck as hard as others. Thats a possibility I didnt really put any consideration into.
    Yes sir, this can make all the difference in the world, especially where you live.
    I'm in Michigan and we rarely see temps that high, around here in 70 - 80 degree temps we fight to keep our trucks under 200*, more so when you run two races back to back.
    If you have any old non functioning heat-sink fans still around try taking one apart and cleaning it out, you may get a pleasant surprise,
    Good luck with the heat,lol,if it gets in the eighties here I sit inside with the air on, I dont know if I could take the heat of Southern Cal.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-19-2013 at 08:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Just Wondering are they not suppose to run all the time? The fan that came built onto my sidewinder runs from the time I turn on the ESC. I was expecting it to be temperature controlled.

if they ran continuous they would be less app to failure do to dust and dirt, my sidewinder fans seem to be issue free.

l.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    Just Wondering are they not suppose to run all the time? The fan that came built onto my sidewinder runs from the time I turn on the ESC. I was expecting it to be temperature controlled.
    The sidewinder fan still plugs into the receiver and runs continuously, the mamba max pro fan plug into the esc and is thermostatically controlled.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerToy View Post
    DBG, that's awesome to see what you've done. Engineering the first phase, seeing the benefit, then improving with well thought out additions. I read the whole thread and from page 1 I kept thinking:
    "when will he throw a fan in... when will he throw a fan in... when will he throw a fan in...?"

Then he threw two fans in! LOL I love your work and how you're happy to share.
    Lol...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RC.Furry View Post
    That truely is some innovative work there. But in my opinion its really not worth it.. Sure it keeps it a bit cooler than a heatsink or even a heatsink with fan(which I personally despise). The motor is meant to get a little hot...a proper heatsink will do the job just fine. I still love your genious in this device though.
    Thanks...

A little warm yes(160*), not a lot(180*+), moreover a heat sink alone isn't always proficient. Additionally a fan that's properly installed is more effective then a heat sink, a castle motor fan does a remarkable job of dissipating heat.
    Then we have esc's, most of which come with or offer heat-sink fan combinations, they must be doing something right.
    Many people live in areas where the ambient temps are in the 90*+ range, these folks battle heat issues on a regular basis.
    I respect your opinion but dont coincide, while DBG's designee has its down falls, it is(as we both agree) an intelligent, and imo forward approach.
    Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by RC.Furry View Post
    Yeah, I know about the ambient temps effecting motor temps. I live in southern california man, where Im at I get 100+F during the summer. I dunno, maybe I just dont run my truck as hard as others. Thats a possibility I didnt really put any consideration into.

Anyway, I dont like using the fans because they always get clogged up by dirt and small pebbles, which burns out the fan on most occasions. Ive gone through a metric crud ton of different heatsink fans from different companies in various track conditions. Every single one has crudded out in one way or another.

I used the fans off-road and I don't have any problems...In fact, I ran in loose dirt and sand...

No I agree with the fact most rc motor fans if not maintained have a short life expectancy, in fact I clean my mamba max pro fans out on a daily basis when I know they'll be needed.
    If I dont they will malfunction do to dirt and other debris in short order.
    I thought you were stating they didn't do the job, sorry about that.
    Most of these little fans are brush-less, so if obstructed they wont burn out, their also easy to remove, clean and reinstall.
    Perhaps I'm one of the few that do this on a regular basis, at times I wish they weren't temperature controlled, if they ran continuous they would be less app to failure do to dust and dirt, my sidewinder fans seem to be issue free.

Yes sir, this can make all the difference in the world, especially where you live.
    I'm in Michigan and we rarely see temps that high, around here in 70 - 80 degree temps we fight to keep our trucks under 200*, more so when you run two races back to back.
    If you have any old non functioning heat-sink fans still around try taking one apart and cleaning it out, you may get a pleasant surprise,
    Good luck with the heat,lol,if it gets in the eighties here I sit inside with the air on, I dont know if I could take the heat of Southern Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    The sidewinder fan still plugs into the receiver and runs continuously, the mamba max pro fan plug into the esc and is thermostatically controlled.
    Yep...Also the Mamba Monster
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

I used the fans off-road and I don't have any problems...In fact, I ran in loose dirt and sand..
    When dealing with a continuous motion fan your changes of failure are some what reduced due do the blades ability to deflect smaller sand and dirt particles.
    If their controlled thermostatically chances of debris interring while not in motion are far greater, thus binding the fan when needed most.
    My two sidewinder esc's or cc motor fans rarely require maintenance but my three mamba max pro's have more than once failed causing near esc loss from heat.
    This is what brought me to this statement.
    at times I wish they weren't temperature controlled, if they ran continuous they would be less app to failure do to dust and dirt, my sidewinder fans seem to be issue free.
    But either way maintaining most anything with moving parts can be advantages, it would be a real bummer to cook a $100 esc because I didn't take five minutes to clean a $5 fan after burning a few cells.
    I still use caution when running any motor near its max output.

RC Racer
    yea for forced air i agree lol

RC Racer
    I'm a bit late but nice slash man! I'm actually thinking of doing something similar to my rc and then I found this thread. I love the look of the radiator in the body with the cut out part nice job!! What did you use as coolant? Is plain water good enough or did you use something else? I don't know much about liquid cooled systems

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin449 View Post
    I'm a bit late but nice slash man! I'm actually thinking of doing something similar to my rc and then I found this thread. I love the look of the radiator in the body with the cut out part nice job!! What did you use as coolant? Is plain water good enough or did you use something else? I don't know much about liquid cooled systems

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I am using liquid nitrogen but i think I am going to try the liquid helium-4....Nahh just kidding(but it would be interesting)
    Right now I am using water, but the project is in pause for another project i am doing (FPV quadcopter and FPV Summit)
    Dont forget to make a thread here, maybe I can help you.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL