Thread: Lipo

Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Traxxas 3s Lipo voltage question

So I'm fairly new to lipo's and wanted to clear up a few questions I had. I recently bought a traxxas 3s 5000mah lipo along with a velineon brushless system for my 2wd slash, I use traxxas ez peak to charge the lipo and i am curious as to what voltage the esc will go in to low voltage mode? My charger usually says each cell is at 4.04 when it does this? This has happen to me twice already and not sure if it's correct or not? I always balance charge my battery at 2.5 amps? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by alexarizpe; 05-26-2012 at 11:45 AM.

RC Champion
    The voltage seems to appear higher when its being charged.

In truth, if it were not being charged it would actually be at like 3.7-3.8v per cell which is fine. Most people have their VXL escs cut out at around 3.7v per cell.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Competitor
    Found out the esc lvc is kicking in to soon cause all I do is unplug the bat and plug it back in and it's good. I guess my esc is bad which is weird cause I just bought it two months ago

RC Champion
    Okay, so you run it for a couple minutes and it cuts out again right? That doesn't mean its bad. The battery voltage just rebound back up a little after use. This happens in everything.
    Think of a re-chargeable drill, or an electric shaver or something, you're using it, it dies, you wait 60 seconds, try again, and it works for a little bit then dies again.
    The Battery and LVC are the same way.

To know for sure if its cutting out early, you need a LIPO tester/alarm/buzzer what ever you want to call it. One with a digital read-out. They are like $3 on ebay all day long. Maybe even find one at your hobby shop. It will tell you the voltage of each cell.
    You could also use a normal Voltmeter to measure the battery voltage. Take the total voltage and divide it by 3 to give you the volts per cell (assuming they are all equal)

However it very well could be bad. In which case you either;
    1. deal with it
    2. get a new esc of your liking
    3. dont use a LVC which is very dangerous
    4. get one of the low voltage alarms, when it buzzes or reads low voltage, you stop driving.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help. that is exactly what I ordered yesterday a low voltage alarm with a digital readout. I think I'll be using that for now. I know the battery is good cause I've hooked it back up on the charger to check voltage and all cells were at 4.12. I might just use the alarm and run it that way,

Last edited by alexarizpe; 06-30-2012 at 04:38 PM.