Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Question Whats the fastest charger for my traxxas 11.1v 3s 5000mah 20c lipo batteries?

Well its all in the title
    That's me!

will not matter much if the batteries can not be charge over 1C...
    any battery not just Traxxas. It is best to still charge at 1C even if a battery say's it can be charged at 2c or all the way up to 5C. Short'ns the life of the battery.. If you want to speed up your charge time parellel charge more then one battery...

I think they are a 25c??
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    at the moment I think the most powerful charger that is still affordable is the Powerlab 6. It costs about $180 and can charge at up to 40amps. The traxxas lipos are rated at only 1C charge rate though so your packs are only supposed to be charged at 5amps max.

Keep in mind, chargers are limited by the watts their power supplies can output. Especially when your charging 3S packs. A 5000mah 3S pack being charged at 5 amps would require 63watts from the power supply. So this means MANY of the 5 amp chargers on the market will simply NOT charge your 3S pack at a full 1C. The traxxas charger WILL... it has an 80amp power supply. Its a good deal for the money.

Other chargers that will work are the Dynamite Passport Ultra, Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC and the Hyperion 720 series. They all have 80-100watt power supplies and are AC/DC so they simply plug into the wall.

There are many opinions on battery charging. 87GN and I differ in opinion when it comes to charging lipos at higher than 1C if they are rated for it. For instance, my SPC lipos are rated to be charged at 2C (or 10 amps for a 5000mah pack). Ive asked tom from SPC if its bad for them and he has assured me multiple times that it does NO harm to the battery in any way. I trust him implicitly. But, everyone has different feelings on this.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    I have the ez-peak plus and like it a lot so far. I just received the 2s 2917 dual charging adapter and am giving it the first try right now, kind of cool that you can watch volts of all 4 cells balancing. I charge my packs at about half of their capacity so at 6 amp max I charge at 3.5. will prolong the life of your packs.

RC Racer
    Ya gn is right there 25c my bad. And I thoight if u charge 2 batts 5000mah at once it would be the same as charging the batts one after another or do you put it to 10 amps so both charge at 1c?
    That's me!

RC Racer
    My current charger is a racers edge charger and it goes to 5 amps also I doesnt need a power supply. I was thinking of just buying another since there so cheap and pretty good. It just takes about 45 mins-to 1 hour each to charge and thats seems pretty slow to me.
    http://www.racers-edge.com/AC_1_3S_5.../rcesc1500.htm
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    I only disagree with Pave in that I am pretty sure the PL8 is more powerful than the PL6.

X2 to everything else.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC Qualifier
    Pl6 and 8 are the most powerful easy to get chargers at the moment. Both are capped at 40 amps.
    If your going to be in the hobby of rc for long, get a quality charger from the start. A 200 watt charger will do most people fine, and will charge that battery in about 20 min.
    I love my pl6 though!

RC Qualifier
    based on some experience, a battery that can output 100A continuous (or so they claim) for example a 5000mah 20C i dont see why it cannot be charged at 10-15A. Or 20-25? Why not trust the technology behind these lipos? I think 5C is a bit on the limits especially on a hot pack (but by the way i havent read any official manufacturer rules that say wait for the pack to cool down) but i will definitely charge at 15A when i make my 1000W 24V psu and buy that powerlab6.

When you buy a big heli on 6-12s charging time matters

Theoretically someone can parallel charge 6x 6s 5000mah batteries at 40-50A with the above setup and be ready in 1 hour. Even so the batts would charge at 8A each which is really safe. Parallel charging has this advantage as 87GN said.

Oh and i think that pl8 is the same wattage (perhaps 100W more max) but at 8S. On e-revos and 6 or 12S setups the pl8 is not beneficial.

To answer the OP i would buy (and soon i will):
    -2x hp proliant dl580 psu's for ~60 ebay (connected in series for 24V 1000W of awesomeness)
    -powerlab6
    -a 6-parallel 6S charging board for ec5 connectors (from china like 9$)
    -many EC5 connectors (cheap as well)

So you have probably the best charging system for around $230. Totally beats many multi chargers and silly things that cost $300 and do half the job.
    Last edited by fuzion; 05-25-2012 at 05:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hyperion duo 3...
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

There has been NO proof from anyone I have talked to that shows charging at either OVER 1C is batteries or charging at UNDER 1C is better for your batteries. There is simply no tangible evidence to support this. Charge the way a trusted MFG (like SPC) says you can charge. The packs discharge at up to 200amps... how can it be bad to fill them at 10amps?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MfizzleS62 View Post
    Hyperion duo 3...
    and why exactly this costs $100 more than a powerlab6?

RC Racer
    How do u figure the watts the charger puts out?
    That's me!

RC Racer
    And wats the max amps the powerlab 6 will put out? Im thinking about getting one to parallel charge my lipos how fast can I safely charge my traxxas 3s 11.1v 25c 5000mah lipos? And will it just plug into the wall or will I need a p.s.
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    and why exactly this costs $100 more than a powerlab6?
    you can pick up a new last gen duo 3 for 200 and under...
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Racer
    Wats the max amps I can run a powerlab on if I were to plug it into the wall?
    That's me!

You need an external power supply for the Powerlab. I know many of us are using converted computer server power supplies that put out anywhere from 47-57 amps (from the power supply) and can power the Powerlab 6 to a full 40 amp charge.

The fastest you can charge you traxxas 5000mah 3S packs is 5 amps. If you parallel charge both of them you'd charge them at 10amps. You could parallel charge 6 5000mah lipos on the PL6 and still not max it out. For what you want to do though... an Icharger 206B with a good 20-25amp Power supply would be MORE than enough.

An Icharger can be picked up for about $120, you can usually find a 20-25 amp Power supply for $40 or so. These are meant for RC and don't need any special converting at all. That would be a GREAT system to get you going for under $175. Check progressive RC for the parallel charging adapters (usually about $5 each)
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Ok thanks ill look into that. So im stuck with a 1 hour charge time each then.
    That's me!

RC Racer
    Whats a good but cheap 20-25 amp power supply?
    That's me!

RC Racer
    And I thought it was ok to charge 1 of the traxxas lipos @ 10A or 2C
    Last edited by traxxasandme; 05-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
    Oh and i think that pl8 is the same wattage (perhaps 100W more max) but at 8S. On e-revos and 6 or 12S setups the pl8 is not beneficial.
    I went back and dug it up. PL6 is 1000W, 40A max with 30v input. PL8 is 1344W, 40A max with 26v input. The next biggest difference is on the discharge rates. PL6 can support 50W internal, 1000W regenerative. PL8 can support 100W internal, 1344W regenerative.

I agree, if all you need to charge is 2s, 3s packs for an ERBE, the PL8 has a lot of power that probably won't be used.

That never stops people from driving Ferraris on the highway though...

RC Racer
    What is a cheap and inexpensive 20-25 amp power supply?
    That's me!

RC Racer
    And im getting mixed ideas if its ok to charge my lipos at more than 1C so is it bad?
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Cheap power supply, the Green Power 350, around $40. 25A output. If you need more output than that, for around the same money you can buy a used server power supply on ebay and wire it up yourself. If you don't have the confidence for that, the G350 is a decent unit.

As far as charging at more than 1C, follow the manufacturer's guidelines for your battery. If it makes you uncomfortable to charge higher than 1C, then don't.

RC Racer
    Ok ill probably usually charge at 1C but if im in a hurry ill charge at 2c and ill be good with 20-25 amp p.s.
    This is the setup im going to do let me know if it all seems good.
    Green power 350 p.s. I charger 206B and ill parallel charge my traxxas 3s 5000mah lipos at 20 amps or 2C.
    That's me!

The batteries will say right on them if they can be charged at 1 or 2C... in looking at the photos on the traxxas battery pages it looks to me like they are listed as being 1C capable. So, you'd charge 2 of them in parallel at 10 amps. The Icharger 206B is a great choice. Im sure the G350 LaTuFu suggested is fine as well. There are many others out there that will do it. Traxpower 25amp, Protec super pro 20 etc etc. They are all good choices. You just need to make sure its 20-25amps minimum... that way when the time comes and you buy some SPC packs, you can charge them at a full 2C. (which they ARE capable of).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    How do I parallel charge I know u can buy a like balance board but what about the main wires with the traxxas connectors pics would help alot. thanks!
    Last edited by traxxasandme; 05-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    That's me!

You need one of these:

3S Parallel Balance Splitter

And one of these:

Parallel Charge Lead Splitter

You just plug them in, plug in your batteries and charge. Remember, you charge as a SINGLE 3S pack that is TWICE the capacity. So you charge as a 3S pack, but pretend it has the total capacity of both packs. If your charging 2X 5000mah packs you'd charge them as if they were ONE 3S 10 000mah pack.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Ok thank you I will be getting these things soon!
    That's me!

RC Racer
    So it all comes down to knowing will it ruin my traxxas batts to charge at only 2C
    That's me!

if that battery states max charge rate is only 1C 5000mah 5amps then thats what i would stick to. if it had a max charge rate higher than that then it would be ok. dont chance it as traxxas lipos are pricey compared to others out there. not worth the risk of the lipo and not to mention risk of a fire and burned down house or harm to your self. cant stress that enough.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasandme View Post
    So it all comes down to knowing will it ruin my traxxas batts to charge at only 2C
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    if that battery states max charge rate is only 1C 5000mah 5amps then thats what i would stick to. if it had a max charge rate higher than that then it would be ok. dont chance it as traxxas lipos are pricey compared to others out there. not worth the risk of the lipo and not to mention risk of a fire and burned down house or harm to your self. cant stress that enough.
    All Traxxas LiPos, 2S or 3S, have a charge rate of 1C and a maximum charge rate of 2C.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    So the max rate is 2C and it wont damage the lipos if I charge them at 2C. I probably wont charge them at 2C all the time tho.
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    If a lipo - any lipo - cant handle at least 2c chrage rate I dont want it powering my 150+ amp system...
    As long as you have a proper balance system I wouldnt worry about charging at 2c.

RC Racer
    Ya I read on the side of my traxxas lipo it said charge rate 1C. max charge rate 2C. So I guess itll work out ill just really watch them.
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    If a lipo - any lipo - cant handle at least 2c chrage rate I dont want it powering my 150+ amp system...
    As long as you have a proper balance system I wouldnt worry about charging at 2c.
    It's quite possible that a battery is capable of handling a 150a ESC, and still have a manufacturer recommended 1c charge rate.

RC Racer
    I love my hitec x4ac

It has 4 separate charge leads at 50w per lead with a separate balancer for each. I can charge 4 lipo individually, or 8 lipo parallel. I have some leads for my 1s heli batteries that will let me charge 6 at a time.

Theoretically I could charge 12 mini heli batteries and 4 Rc truck batteries all at the same time!

RC Racer
    Will the green power 350 p.s. work with the I charger 208B charging at max output? I know the amps are ok but what about the voltages it looks like the I charger takes more volts than the p.s. can supply please check it out and let me know if itll work or if im reading it wrong.
    I charger 208B
    The I charger will have 2 be looked up it doesnt let me post a link because it from an un-named site.
    The green power supply
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-g350-powersupply.html
    Last edited by traxxasandme; 05-25-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    That's me!

The green power PSU will be more than enough.

I didnt realize the traxxas lipos said 2C charge rate max on the side. If thats what it say, charge them at 2C... thats what I would do. Charging 2X 5000mah 3S lipos at 2C or 20amps would require approximately 260 watts of power.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Ok I was worried about the volts and how do u figure the wattage?
    That's me!