RC Qualifier

What brushless system is the best/cheapest/waterproof?

Hey guys, I am trading off some of my mini revo stuff and a mini revo for a 1/10 BL revo roller. Which brushless system is the best/waterproof/cheapest out there? I was told to get the SC8 waterproof 120A esc and 2700kv motor combo for an E-maxx setup, but what about an ERBE? Would that be an ok setup? Would heats be ok? Any other suggestions maybe on BL waterproof systems besides the VXL? That one isn't too efficient on 1/8th scale trucks. I tried it in my E-maxx once, but it didn't have a lot of power. Anyways, let me know some thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Merv VXL x2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have the 2700kv EZrun motor. Ive tried it in my E-Revo and it was geared super low and still got pretty warm. Its in my buddies Emaxx now and seems to work good in that truck geared 12/68.

The 120amp isnt something I can speak to.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    There is no such thing as a water proof BL system. They are simply water resistant, the motors that is. The ESC is not! And I would not recommend going anywhere near water with a BL system. The only systems that I am aware of that come close to fully H2O protected is the Traxxas EVX2 and their brushed motors (Titans). Good Luck though man.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I have the 2700kv EZrun motor. Ive tried it in my E-Revo and it was geared super low and still got pretty warm. Its in my buddies Emaxx now and seems to work good in that truck geared 12/68.

The 120amp isnt something I can speak to.
    Hmm, well, do you have any suggestions for waterproof or splashproof esc/motor combos? That's my main thing is I don't want to worry about dodging puddles when I'm bashing around.

Quote Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
    There is no such thing as a water proof BL system. They are simply water resistant, the motors that is. The ESC is not! And I would not recommend going anywhere near water with a BL system. The only systems that I am aware of that come close to fully H2O protected is the Traxxas EVX2 and their brushed motors (Titans). Good Luck though man.
    The only thing is, the only brushed systems that are worth it really for the power are the KD (Kershaw Designs) systems. Those though are EXTREMELY heavy and draw gobs of amps on the batteries. The SC8 BL system is said to be totally waterproof... I am aware of just a few 1/8th scale systems that make this claim. Some hobbywing escs on NitroRCX or some others off of those partnered sites also claim the same thing.
    Last edited by maxxnslash; 05-23-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Qualifier
    Want to splashproof your ERBE ? Use an Outerwears shroud on it.

I ran all winter long, through puddles and what not and the MMM is still running strong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Imprez View Post
    Want to splashproof your ERBE ? Use an Outerwears shroud on it.

I ran all winter long, through puddles and what not and the MMM is still running strong.
    Well, I am wanting to stay as cheap as possible with the system. Anyone has suggestions at all other than what I've suggested?
    Merv VXL x2

RC Champion
    While I agree with you that they're not really water proof, there are several water resistant brushless ESCs, including the Traxxas VXL. As a matter of fact even Castle says the MMM is water resistant (see here) , allthough I don't trust castle and know many people that have fried theirs in water, but I also know many people who've had no problems.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

This is NOT true. ALL electric motors are COMPLETELY waterproof... but not in the sense that they repel water. They can be run in any wet condition. Its their components that can be effected. Sensored motors are obviously at risk to water but the 2700kv motor the OP is talking about can be run completely underwater with NO issues. The only thing you'll need to be careful with is the bearings. They can rust and cease. You need to dry and lube them very very well after wet running.

The new SC8 ESC is listed as "waterproof"... so go ahead and run it wet. Its listed as being capable of handling it. Ive personally run my traxxas electronics completely underwater and they still work fine.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Brushless motors are water proof. Sensors are not, but at highly water resistant due to the low voltage/amp they use.

The sc8 is not water proof. I dont care what its listed as. I have taken the one apart for my slash. It is very splash proof. To 100% waterproof it is very easy however thanks to the case design.

The only true water proof esc is the mgm compro but they are very expensive. Worth it but expensive.

You can waterproof almost any esc, but some are harder to do than others.

My recomendation? Sc8. Or the 150 amp ezrun (or zerun i forget, the blue sensored one). It has a very similar case.Add some additional waterproofing. Add either a tacon or leopard motor is the 2000-2200 range. And dont intentionally submerge your truck!

Theres a new SC8 that is listed as being waterproof. Its not the same as the older one... its literally listed as being a waterproof ESC. If the MFG lists it that way you should be able to get it wet and it should be at least covered under warranty. Whatever that is from EZrun

Waterproof SC8
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 05-23-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I stand corrected! It is a newer version of my new sc8. Thats good news and stands to make them a ton of money if it is indeed swim worthy.

This was what I was talking about, just to lazy to find it. It is NOT water proof, but its easy to make it so.
    http://www.helipal.com/xerun-150a-sd-esc-1-8-150a.html

RC Qualifier
    Theres a new SC8 that is listed as being waterproof. Its not the same as the older one... its literally listed as being a waterproof ESC. If the MFG lists it that way you should be able to get it wet and it should be at least covered under warranty. Whatever that is from EZrun

Waterproof SC8
    Hmm I'm more than likely going to get this esc though. I mean surely, like Traxxas, if they claim it's waterproof, they would cover it under warrenty. If I just get that esc, what motor might be ideal for running 4s? I think the esc is only rated to 4s. If I do get that, I'll turn this thread into a build thread for this with temps, gearing ratios, etc. It will be the turning of a brushless AND waterproof age! lol
    Merv VXL x2

RC Qualifier
    You have a PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    You have a PM.
    I got it sir, thank you very much! I actually think that system you sent me is the identical one that the guy had in the ERBE. He toasted it he said. I'm not sure how as I didn't go into details about it, but he said it's all burnt out and done.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the heads up, maxxnslash.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, maxxnslash.
    Not a problem! Looks like the trade possibly might not go through. freakin' people... lol I sure hope he decides to do it though. I've wanted a 1/10 BL E-Revo forever. The mini revos are fun, but I just don't like their esc/motor setup. It's not the best I've used by any means.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Qualifier
    Awesome!!! Roller should be shipping out today!! So have we concluded the SC8 waterproof 120A esc 2700kv motor combo is the way to go when running on 4s? (I think that's all the power I really need) How about any suggestions on gearing this bad boy? Also, since this is going to be a roller with only a servo, what is a good 2.4Ghz rx/tx combo that is also cheap. I'm basically doing the NORMAL person budget, waterproof, brushless, able to be raced on a track, basher build, and I am trying to cut costs where ever I possibly can.
    Merv VXL x2

The 2700kv motor is high. Id be looking for a 2200kv. XErun has a few nice ones you can usually pick up for a decent price. The 2700kv can be bought for like $65 but I'm just not convinced its the right fit for an ERBE.

There are lots of cheap but good 2.4 radios out there. The Fly Sky radios are what most people use. The FS-GT2 is a 2ch, no frills, VERY basic radio that seems to work great for about $25 shipped. The FS GT3B is a 3CH with lots of features and a nice screen for about $35 shipped.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The 2700kv motor is high. Id be looking for a 2200kv. XErun has a few nice ones you can usually pick up for a decent price. The 2700kv can be bought for like $65 but I'm just not convinced its the right fit for an ERBE.

There are lots of cheap but good 2.4 radios out there. The Fly Sky radios are what most people use. The FS-GT2 is a 2ch, no frills, VERY basic radio that seems to work great for about $25 shipped. The FS GT3B is a 3CH with lots of features and a nice screen for about $35 shipped.
    Well, if I just buy the esc somewhere, won't I need to solder everything together? I could be wrong, but I thought it just came with wires. I can look for a 2200kv motor. Any suggestions with those? Tacon and Leopard have a few I am thinking. I'll definitely look into those radios too.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Champion
    +1 To Paves suggestion.
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 05-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.

RC Racer
    go look for a tacon motor at hobbypartz or you can get a chinese motor like a ******* 4 pole for 50-60$. cannot mention store name here... they even have 80 to 150 amp esc for cheap... they wont be waterproof, but you can find lots of video on how to waterproof esc on youtube. good luck... with whatever you choose.

and +1 on flysky rx/tx... cheap and efficient radio

p.s if you find the chinese store, you can get a pair of 2s lipo, flysky radio and motor/ esc for about 200$ +shipping.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    go look for a tacon motor at hobbypartz or you can get a chinese motor like a ******* 4 pole for 50-60$. cannot mention store name here... they even have 80 to 150 amp esc for cheap... they wont be waterproof, but you can find lots of video on how to waterproof esc on youtube. good luck... with whatever you choose.

and +1 on flysky rx/tx... cheap and efficient radio

p.s if you find the chinese store, you can get a pair of 2s lipo, flysky radio and motor/ esc for about 200$ +shipping.
    I am pretty much set on getting the SC8 waterproof esc. I mean if they say it's waterproof, it will be held under warrenty. If I tamper with those other escs and run it in water it will mess up the warrenty. Like I said, I need to fine a reliable, cheap store to get the SC8 esc, a 2200kv-ish motor, 2 2s 5000mAh+ 40C lipos, and possibly a gt3b flysky radio.

EDIT: What does the C rating on lipos specifically mean? I thought it to be the punch the lipo had when you take off? I could be wrong though.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Qualifier
    Wwoooow. REALLYYYY?? The dude is backing out on the trade AGAIN!! lol I don't think he knows what he wants. He already made me loose $40 between getting him different things and now he doesn't want the trade. SMH people these days. Well I got a lot of good info, but now this thread is worthless to me.
    Merv VXL x2

RC Racer
    Wow that really sucks! Good luck tho!
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Well, does anyone have a cheap ERBE?? haha If there actually is such a thing... LOL
    Merv VXL x2

RC Racer
    http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/tag/2944958620.html
    This looks like a good one if its not sold! Good luck once again!
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasandme View Post
    http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/tag/2944958620.html
    This looks like a good one if its not sold! Good luck once again!
    I'll take a peek at it. I would have to have it shipped though and craigslist deals and shipping make me iffy. lol
    Merv VXL x2

RC Racer
    I found another 4 ya!
    http://binghamton.craigslist.org/tag/2948775301.html
    And another
    http://wichita.craigslist.org/wan/3006801237.html
    Try looking on allofcraigs or now called adhunt'r thats where I find my rc things or just e bay.
    That's me!

RC Racer
    Ya most things have to b shipped but its really a risk thats worth it.
    That's me!

RC Qualifier
    That is true. lol
    Merv VXL x2