Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Racer
    I thought I'd just break out the soldering iron. lol.

I suppose thread has become a little pointless now. Seems as though the sensors are more or less available now & for the cost, why would you make your own? (Although I may make my own voltage sensor for my crawler if possible, don't really think temp or RPM would be much use there. lol)

RC Racer
    Yes. I agree. They do seem to be a lot more available now.

RC Racer
    Quick post as I haven't got time for much. My stuff has finally arrived from the US. Get in.
    Soon as the sensor was tested, voltage wire was dismantled. My guess was right about it being a resistor in there.
    9.1K ohm (if my memory serves, white, brown, black, brown, brown)

I've left temp alone since I don't need to look inside for anything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I got my voltage and temp sensors last week one day and installed them Saturday night. I checked both and they are nearly spot on. I'm just kicking back and waiting on my GPS Module though, which keeps getting pushed back. LOL

Does anyone know what the Telemetry Expander is used for? TRA6550
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I got my voltage and temp sensors last week one day and installed them Saturday night. I checked both and they are nearly spot on. I'm just kicking back and waiting on my GPS Module though, which keeps getting pushed back. LOL

Does anyone know what the Telemetry Expander is used for? TRA6550
    The telemetry expander is so you can plug more sensors into the receiver. The receiver only has one voltage/temp sensor port and one RPM port. It also has a port for the expander. If you want to use more sensors you have to use the expander. I believe the GPS module also requires the expander.

RC Racer
    I've had time to finally have a play. I've not messed with the temp sensor part. The way I see it, If you want temp & voltage, just buy the sensor. It's so cheap, why would you make your own?

That said, I descided that I only wanted voltage for my crawler. It doesn't go fast enough to ever get hot, so temp monitoring is completely pointless. Same obviously for RPM & speed.

Voltage however is something that would be handy. I managed to get it working with ease as I simply copied the design of the Temp/Volt sensor that I purchased for my E-Revo.

All you need is a servo plug, with just one of the wires left on it (You must have a burnt out servo somewhere) and a 1/4 watt 9.1K Ohm resistor. I used the red servo plug from my E-Revo temp/volt sensor because I had cut it off to solder the connection instead of using the power tap. The resistor I got from Maplins. (A big electronics shop chain in the UK, search 9k1 resistor).

From there, ensure the wire is in the correct hole on your plug. It goes in the hole on the end, on the opposite other side to the plugs key. It's the red wire in the grey plug, pictured here.

So, you've now got a plug, with a single piece of wire coming out. Next solder the wire to one end of your resistor. Now solder another length of wire to other leg of the resistor. At this point, I cover the resistor up in heat-shrink, but tape is fine. That's it. Voltage sensor made.

To fit it, plug the servo plug into the TQi receiver. Make sure it goes into the right hole! I think it's labelled 'T/V' off of the top of my head. The other end just needs connecting to whatever you want to measure. On my crawler I soldered it onto a terminal on the ESC. On my E-Revo it was soldered onto a battery connector.

Hope that helps someone out there.
    Newth

RC Racer
    Here is a Step by Step write up I did for installing Voltage and Temp sensors. This was for an E-Revo - so just make sure of the part numbers to ensure you get parts for your specific truck/car - the instructions are the same regardless of the model you have:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-amp-Voltage)

Hope this helps!
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Does anyone know what's the RPM sensor? If not, I'll buy one and take it apart...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    Power Tap - Meritek Carbon Film Resistor, 9.0K Ohms, 1/4W, 5%, T&R
    connected with 2 piece 20-22 stranded wires.

RC poster
    This is my first time posting so I hope its in the right spot. Does anyone know how to install the RPM sensor on the Revo 3.3. The temp just wraps around the cooling head around the2nd fin. Thanks For any help. Pictures would be great if anyone has done this install.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rackemron4 View Post
    This is my first time posting so I hope its in the right spot. Does anyone know how to install the RPM sensor on the Revo 3.3. The temp just wraps around the cooling head around the2nd fin. Thanks For any help. Pictures would be great if anyone has done this install.
    If you don't already have them, besides the RPM sensor you need the sensor mount for it, which is part number 6536, and the flywheel with magnet, which is part number 6542.

The RPM sensor is attached to the mount, which is then attached next to the engine with the same screws the engine is mounted with. Then the RPM sensor is triggered by the magnet in the flywheel.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

Edit: I can't find any pics.

The mount comes with three different mounts, you just need to figure out which one works to put the sensor in the right spot to be triggered by the magnet in the flywheel.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 07-08-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    I'll take a shot of mine later, it may help you out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Has anyone opened the RPM sensor to find out which is the sensor part # and see if we can buy it on eBay....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So, I got the temperature and voltage sensors today... So, let's call the Mythbusters on them...

The resistor for the voltage sensor is a 9,03K resistor according to my cheap multimeter... As it was said before, it's possible to use a 9,1K resistor or a 9.09k resistor if you can find it... I would add, if you can find a metal film resistor at 1%, buy it...

The temperature sensor looks like a 100k NTC @ 25C glass thermistor... For example, a Honeywell 135-104LAG-J01 will work, I'll pick one locally this week and test it...

And, this is how they go connected...

I'm trying to get one RPM sensor locally to see what's inside too...

Last edited by danielhr77; 09-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    danielhr77:

Do you think the traxxas temp gauge is using the same thermistor as the temperature sensor? If so, do you think it can be used on the the temperature sensor?

Just for know
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't own one, but it looks like it does from the picture... But, I would need to have one to tell you for sure for "yes" or "no"...

But, get a few from eBay, search for: "20pcs Thermocouples Thermistors ntc 100k ohm"... They are cheap...

I'm also wondering if the same one used on the Spartan... But, I doubt it...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 09-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Has anyone opened the RPM sensor to find out which is the sensor part # and see if we can buy it on eBay....
    I'm also interested to find out what component is inside of the RPM sensor, as I want to build my own one. In Germany the Traxxas RPMs are still not available.

I guess it must be a magnetic sensor as they sell magnets for gear pinion.

Anyone any idea what component is used in that RPM sensor?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    I guess for a rpm sensor, it might be a hall effect sensor that convert the change of magnetic field into voltage. But I haven't got one. they are out of stock everywhere.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have many hall sensors, but until I can get my hands on the one from Traxxas, I won't risk my receiver...

RC poster
    Good point. Would be cool, if you could share your results, if you get your original Traxxas sensor.

RC Competitor
    I have many hall sensors, but until I can get my hands on the one from Traxxas, I won't risk my receiver...
    good point!

RC Qualifier
    danielhr77:
    Any updates? Did you tested your homemade sensors?
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought the temp sensors from eBay, that pack of 20 was cheaper than 1 here locally, so, I'll take a week or two to arrive here...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 10-03-2012 at 05:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    The TQi Rx has two ports for temp and voltage. They're above port 5. I use port 5 for voltage reading.
    Last edited by Chief409; 10-06-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Slash 4X4 SSC , T-MAXX, Revo and Bandit
    TQi, iPod

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The RX has only one port for temp/voltage and one for RPM...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But, get a few from eBay, search for: "20pcs Thermocouples Thermistors ntc 100k ohm"... They are cheap...
    I confirm those are the same as the ones from Traxxas, and they are 100k NTC @ 25C glass thermistors...

RC poster
    I confirm those are the same as the ones from Traxxas, and they are 100k NTC @ 25C glass thermistors...

Thanks danielhr77 !

Does anyone have an update on the RPM sensor? Still keen to built my own one and need the tech specs for this :-)

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have two on the way to me, probably in a week I'll open one and post the results here...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got the RPM sensor, it's an SMD hall sensor but it's not easy to read the part #. I zoom it like 30x but I'm not able to read it well. I'll put some pictures tonight but won't help much.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    Got the RPM sensor, it's an SMD hall sensor but it's not easy to read the part #. I zoom it like 30x but I'm not able to read it well. I'll put some pictures tonight but won't help much.
    Updates????
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Updates???
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC poster
    any new updates

RC poster
    anyone figure this out yet
    I've tried many have not figured it out

RC Enthusiast
    hey guys i know im a little late on this thread but i read some interesting things about these sensors... i have a revo 3.3 5309
    the newest one out right now, i just bought the voltage and temp sensors i followed the step by step set up and i also went
    into the downloads and looked at another set up method by Traxxas but i noticed on the sensors i got part # 6521 temp and
    voltage long the sensor is very short and on my model i have the box is not close enough to stretch to the engine and also to
    connect to sensors on... am i missing something? all i have is the sensors don't think i need anything else do i?