Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Telemetry Sensors - Fed up of waiting - Anyone opened up temp/volt

Since the sensors never seem to be hitting the UK, I was wondering if anyone had peeled back the heat shrink to see whats hiding underneath the temp/volts sensor?

I'm guessing the temp is a thermistor & volts probably a resistor/diode.

Obviously the cost involved with buying the actual traxxas sensors makes it a bit daft to make your own, but since they're not available yet, I wondered if anyone had details so I could make some up & have a proper play with my TQi.

Thanks
    Newth

RC Racer
    Doesn't help with your question really but I'm waiting on the sensors too. Been told by Wheelspin they expect delivery 9th July.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The RPM sensor is probably a hall sensor... The temperature sensor is probably a 10k @ 25C thermistor (I prefer an LM35)... Voltage could be a resistor but not sure...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 05-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CupraR View Post
    Doesn't help with your question really but I'm waiting on the sensors too. Been told by Wheelspin they expect delivery 9th July.
    I've heard this sort of thing before. Modelsport said early July when I asked. Probably means september/october.

Edit...

Oddly, mightly models have the power tap & rpm holder, just not the sensors?!
    Last edited by Newth Cox; 05-25-2012 at 02:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    The RPM sensor is probably a hall sensor... The temperature sensor is probably a 10k @ 25C thermistor (I prefer an LM35)... Voltage could be a resistor but not sure...
    Thats the thing isn't it. It's probably a....... but not definitly.

I might bow down & order one in from an american ebay chop shop, just to see what's what. Sounds like months before they hit the UK.

RC Qualifier
    I made my own temp and volt sensor harness. Made the temp out of an old venom temp gauge that no longer worked. The temp sensor itself was good because it works great with the telemetry TQI setup on my e baja 5t. Just took a guess on it and it worked perfect.
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Newth Cox View Post
    I've heard this sort of thing before. Modelsport said early July when I asked. Probably means september/october.

Edit...

Oddly, mightly models have the power tap & rpm holder, just not the sensors?!
    Ah, thanks for the heads up, I have the RPM sensor (got it from Wheelspin) but I'm waiting on the mounts for it. I'll get onto Mighty Models to see if they still have any.

Hmm. I couldn't find them on the Mighty Models website. It could just be me though lol.
    Last edited by CupraR; 05-26-2012 at 10:51 PM.

RC Racer
    Mighty Models use their ebay shop more i think. Just give then a ring dude.

I'll go check wheelspin out, I normally use modelsport just because their delivery & stock is normally good, but I've used wheelspin before.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift View Post
    I made my own temp and volt sensor harness. Made the temp out of an old venom temp gauge that no longer worked. The temp sensor itself was good because it works great with the telemetry TQI setup on my e baja 5t. Just took a guess on it and it worked perfect.
    Did you get the voltage working working?

RC Racer
    Mighty Models are still waiting on stock delivery.

RC Racer
    Ah well, worth a try.

I've ordered a temp/volt from the states now. Looking forward to having a play.

RC Racer
    Ah well, worth a try.

I've ordered a temp/volt from the states now. Looking forward to having a play.
    Yeah, I did too. I'm looking forward to it arriving.

RC Qualifier
    Johnny on the spot !! I used a commonly used abbreviation very close to lol but added a m and an a. Was sited a 5 point wack!! Just thought this was an appropriate response to the delayed products so ragingly advertised by traxxas. Even bringing them to national NHRA EVENTS. Ie... DTS-1,TQI, etc etc.
    ABUSIVE??? Only to customers. Lol.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5183472
    FASTEST "recorded/proven" JATO'S-3.3 AND Big block

RC poster
    Will other temp sensors work?? I picked up a Spektrum SPM 1450 today. Changed the pinout to match the Traxxas wiring. Gonna try it when I get back to my truck

RC Racer
    Let us know how you get on. Do you have a temp gun to confirm its accurate?

RC Racer
    My Traxxas Temp Sensor reads different to my Temp Gun, but there were no instructions on wire placement on the engine. I just put it around the bottom of cooling head.

RC poster
    Let us know how you get on. Do you have a temp gun to confirm its accurate?
    I've got an IR gun to compare it to. Trying to find out the specs on the traxxas sensor, anybody got a close up picture of the small writing on the sensor loop part??

RC Racer
    As soon as mine arrive from the states, I'll be having a look underneath the heatshrink. I'll post up on here as soon as they land.
    I've only ordered the temp/volt though, so I won't be able to help with the RPM sensor.

RC Racer
    How many channels do you have to have on your transmitter for the sensors?

Also can you take a TQi transmitter and receiver from a Revo and use it on an E-Maxx?
    Last edited by Crzyjeff; 06-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzyjeff View Post
    How many channels do you have to have on your transmitter for the sensors?
    The number of channels has nothing to do with the sensors. All TQi`s can use the same number of sensors.

Also can you take a TQi transmitter and receiver from a Revo and use it on an E-Maxx?
    Yes you can.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    So why i'm waiting for parts, I've been spec'ing up telemetry for all my models.

I can't for the life of me get my head round the temp sensor mount 6535.
    Can anyone help out with what this is actually for, and if needed, how it's used. I can't find any good answers, just questions about it.

RC Racer
    Which model is the temp sensor mount listed under?

I know it's not under TMaxx but wonder if I could utilise it. At the moment the wire for the temp sensor looks too untidy for my liking.

RC Racer
    E-Revo & Ken Block off the top of my head. I don't know how many others.
    I had a look in the XO1 manual, but that doesn't mention it. Just looks as though it wraps around the motor. I can't see why the other electric models would be any different.

RC Champion
    It just goes over the thermistor and zipties to the motor. You don't have to use it, you could just use a ziptie, but it prevents the thermister from lifting away from the motor.

I was finally able to order the rest of what I needed from an ebay chop shop. As soon as it arrives I'll have full telemetry on both my 1/10 Slash and Slash 4x4. I'm really looking forward to having it.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    It just goes over the thermistor and zipties to the motor. You don't have to use it, you could just use a ziptie, but it prevents the thermister from lifting away from the motor.
    Now you've said that, I get it. Thank you.

Just need stuff to arrive from the states so I can start to play.

RC Racer
    Also how many channels does the receiver have to be for the sensors?

RC Racer
    Dude, this was already answered in post 20, or do you mean something else?

RC Racer
    There is the transmitter which is the controller and there is the receiver that goes on the vehicle. He answered my question about the transmitter. Now I am wondering about the receiver.

RC Champion
    Also how many channels does the receiver have to be for the sensors?
    The number of channels has nothing to do with the sensors. If you have a TQi transmitter with the dock, TQi receiver, and a compatible iPhone/iPod, you can use the sensors.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    There is the transmitter which is the controller and there is the receiver that goes on the vehicle. He answered my question about the transmitter. Now I am wondering about the receiver.
    All TQi receivers are 5 channel.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    Thank you for the info Rob.

RC Champion
    No problem, hope I helped.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    Post's been this morning, still no sensors.

RC Racer
    Right, not posting this to rub salt in your wounds Newth, but I now have all my sensors and today my RPM mounts came.

No instructions for them though. I'm not sure how the RPM mounts, mount. There are three in the packet A,B,C. They look like they mount under the engine mount screws I think and I'm tipping only one of the three sensor arms are used. But, I'm unsure.

Don't suppose you have any idea do you?

P.S. Wheelspin have some stock.

RC Racer
    lol. I had an email today from them telling me that. Mighty models have some in stock as well. I'm really tempted to go look for some. I'll give it until the end of the week.

As for mounting, I've not got a clue with RPM! Looks like every model is different. For the ken block, new spur with a magnet & new cover with a hole in it to hold the sensor. (Probably)
    Erevo look similar, but with a weird bit screw to the spur instead of replacing it.
    Voltage just looks like you attach the red wire to the positive rail of whatever you want to measure, ie battery connector.
    Temp looks easy enough as well. Just put the sensor where you want to measure temperature & strap it down! lol

RC Racer
    Thinking about it, does the 'add telemetry to your model' page on here not help?

RC Racer
    No, not really. It doesn't show them fitted.

Think I've figured the RPM mounts out. It's a choice of three. AB or C. Two of them differ in the fact one is mounting EZ start motor side the other for the opposite side. Also looks like the motor mount screws hold them down.

I have calibrated the temp wire to my temp gun. The red voltage wire just plugs into any spare receiver channel.

RC Racer
    Also, the RPM sensor just slots into the mount and a button head screw holds it in place.

RC Racer
    Glad you've got it sorted. That's good news. The red voltage wire will be different for me, I gave up on nitro many years ago, so I want batt voltage, not just from the receiver pack.

RC Racer
    Ah, I see. In which case you need the power tap then I take it.