RC Competitor

Looking for ideas to reduce flipping over the merv

Hey guys!

wow i havent been on here for a while.

I have a merv, had it for a while, finally decided to start doing something with it.

It has a ton of upgrades,
    A-arms, knuckles, changed to RPM
    toe links, push rods upgraded to traxxas premium.
    CVD's
    Mamba Max ESC
    GTR Springs.
    t bone 4 piece skid kit
    proline tires

I tried different spring setups and unless i completely lower the suspension for the car to almost be at ground level and rubbing, i flip non stop.

however if i lower the suspension that low the car handled magically well!

which brings me to my question:

If you had to run your MERV 100% on road and wanted to flip as less as possible.

What would you do?

// also, how can i lower the center of gravity as much as possible?

also considering potentially converting to a rally VXL to get it even lower

what are the best, pure on road tires
    Last edited by jony911; 07-05-2013 at 09:36 PM.

RC Competitor
    Have you installed a center diff? It seemed to help me a bit but I still flip on fast cornering. I read something on installing a gyro in a rally to help with unwanted servo movement and drifting. I'm thinking of trying one out.

RC Qualifier
    The only true way to stop traction roll in a Merv is throttle control. I've tried everything and light preload on your shocks and slowing down is the only way to cut most rollovers out.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    The only true way to stop traction roll in a Merv is throttle control. I've tried everything and light preload on your shocks and slowing down is the only way to cut most rollovers out.
    +1 on that.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Glue 2 ozone fishing sinkers to lower cog and increase grip.use one on the rear body mount. One on the front. And either a battery or weight in the battery compartment that you don't use.
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 vxl

RC Enthusiast
    1.5 wheel extensions and a gyro. They are both around $20
    this costs too much money

RC Qualifier
    I would first try heavier shock oil. What springs/oil do you run atm?
    You can put shock limiters inside the shocks to get the car lower.
    Maybe running dual batteries for some more weight down low.
    Also +1 on the center-diff with some heavy oil.

Wheels with more offset like the HPI SuperStar MT or RPM Revolver/Clawz helps the most from my experience.

I like the Proline Dirth Hawgs 2.2 buggy rears for onroad. They are light and last a long time and have just the right amount of grip and slip that prevents traction rolls.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD-J View Post
    I would first try heavier shock oil. What springs/oil do you run atm?
    You can put shock limiters inside the shocks to get the car lower.
    Maybe running dual batteries for some more weight down low.
    Also +1 on the center-diff with some heavy oil.

Wheels with more offset like the HPI SuperStar MT or RPM Revolver/Clawz helps the most from my experience.

I like the Proline Dirth Hawgs 2.2 buggy rears for onroad. They are light and last a long time and have just the right amount of grip and slip that prevents traction rolls.
    Right now, stock springs, oil is 80w
    I purchased the shock limiters and am running dual batts.

what oil would you put in?

those are the tires i run

Quote Originally Posted by KCWCK55 View Post
    1.5 wheel extensions and a gyro. They are both around $20
    wouldnt the wheel extention cause massive damage upon impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Glue 2 ozone fishing sinkers to lower cog and increase grip.use one on the rear body mount. One on the front. And either a battery or weight in the battery compartment that you don't use.
    I didnt think of adding weights, thanks for the idea! I will definitely try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Mrxillen View Post
    Have you installed a center diff? It seemed to help me a bit but I still flip on fast cornering. I read something on installing a gyro in a rally to help with unwanted servo movement and drifting. I'm thinking of trying one out.
    I bought the center diff but after installing it i didnt like it (i dont remember why, i will try it again shortly since i have to dissasemble the car anyways since i recently destoyed the driveshafts :P) for the gyro, i just found one online and will buy it and give it a shot! thank you!

what oils do you guys recommend for shocks and all three diffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxximum Overdive View Post
    what do you mean by light preload on shocks?

and yeah, slowing down is an option but i want it to be as stable as possible without having to slow down too much

RC Qualifier
    Well nobody sayed Sway bars, yet! For me they do the job you described! End of story! Unless you are runing 6s and want to corner hard.... in that case try a 1:1 down the highway do the same!

Get simple, put sway bars and forget the flipage!

Work's on all of my rc's, and yes before i have that flipage, then after sway bars i got bold tires, FASTER!

Photo of mine:

-And if you want that ultimate punch and safety(Heat safe and longevity) on yours electronics (ESC) put an overkill array of capacitors and then talk to me
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
    Well nobody sayed Sway bars, yet! For me they do the job you described! End of story! Unless you are runing 6s and want to corner hard.... in that case try a 1:1 down the highway do the same!

Work's on all of my rc's, and yes before i have that flipage, then after sway bars i got bold tires, FASTER!

Photo of mine:

-And if you want that ultimate punch and safety(Heat safe and longevity) on yours electronics (ESC) put an overkill array of capacitors and then talk to me
    where can i get those ?!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jony911 View Post
    and yeah, slowing down is an option but i want it to be as stable as possible without having to slow down too much
    Of course, we all do. That's part of the hobby and involves math. Even 1:1 vehicles have to slow down at some point.
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post

Photo of mine:

what heat sink / fan do u have on there??

RC Racer
    Wheels with Offset.
    Drive on loose ground instead of pavement. That what its Made for =)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jony911 View Post
    where can i get those ?!
    -The only brand i know that made sway bars for the e-revo 1/16 is hot racing, so this is hot racing. I think Exotek had one to... but no longer produced years ago... (reallly dont understand why good stuff ends soon) LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by addicted_2_R-C's View Post
    what heat sink / fan do u have on there??
    -The heat sink is the traxxas one, and the fan is just a fan from whatever brand maybe 25*25mm or 30*30mm dont remember. Screws screw inside the vents of the heatsink fine, just like a right hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Feivel View Post
    Wheels with Offset.
    Drive on loose ground instead of pavement. That what its Made for =)
    Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
    -Offset rims, will make it wider and for that matter safer. But the first thing is sway bars! Any 1:1 racer and Rc racer know. 1/8 buggy's have them stock! think this... when the car is trying to flip the sway bar's help big time to make it grounded to the floor, witout them the force of flipping wins big time!
    Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-16-2013 at 09:39 AM.