RC Competitor

Post upgrades for racing

I have my E revo pretty decked out for racing, but I would like to get some advise on further upgrades and tweaking what I already have. current upgrades/setup are:

cityblock AKA tires/wheels
    front shocks:green
    rear:silver
    60wt shock oil all around
    rear ride height is level
    front ride height slightly above level
    sway bar kit, silver bars
    aluminum pad slipper clutch kit
    camber, toe and stuff all pretty close to the steve slayden base setup
    twin VXL motor setup
    duratrax 25c 5000mah lipos

I won a 3rd place trophy in my first race just yesterday with that setup, so I'm pretty happy with it. I would like to be able to take the corners a bit faster without flipping it though. any help or advise would be great, thanks!

RC Champion
    Have you looked at the Traxxas Variable Dampening Piston kit? Its about $5 bucks but gives the shocks new life. It works off of the same principal as a one way valve. There is a thin sheet of metal that acts as a flap on the shock piston. The flat would give you two open hole on impact and 4 open holes on rebound. It would also help stiffen up the suspension in corners.

The center diff may help you if you have a lot of corners. It will unload at the front wheels more than any other models so be aware of that. Mine is sitting in the bottom of my tool box since i only bash this truck.
    Last edited by anr2442; 05-21-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Competitor
    I knew I forgot something haha, I do have the #2 pistons installed. They made a HUGE difference. I don't really know anything about center diffs compared to a transmission. Does it replace the trany or just fit in there and replace some of the gearing?

RC Competitor
    I have just the thing for you.

This is a revo that has been modified. 1/5 scale desert rat body HPI motor mount, Custom frame and the list goes on. I have since installed a larger motor. I run it on a 150 amp esc. and 6c lipos!

I'm currenty building another one with a center diff.
    Last edited by reallytwissted; 05-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.

RC Competitor
    ^^^ That is awesome.
    I love some of the mods you guys come up with for the E-Revo (drifters, road racers, and that beast).

RC Competitor
    wow! those are both sweet dude. me want

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You would probably do better with a single 1/8 scale motor/ESC combo. The dual VXL setup is heavier and more complicated than a single 1/8. Have you gone to a high torque/high speed steering servo? That would help alot at a track. Faster and stronger steering response with the added benefit of less weight.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    would you recommend a particular servo for under or around 100$? I have had the dual setup for about 4 months now, and I love it. geared 22/58. in a straight line it can easily keep up and in some cases be a bit quicker than the Mamba combo. And it wrecks the nitros it is slightly more weight, but not as much as you'd think. I got the systems for super Mega cheep, so until it explodes I'm keeping the dual haha.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You can go with a Hitec 7955... they have 333 oz of torque and .15 transit time. They are faster and more powerful than stock and can be bought for around $75 on other RC forums. Great servo for the money. You'll immediately notice the extra speed and power...

If you were to sell both your VXL systems, I bet you could get together enough money to buy a 1/8 system outright and while I have no doubts the dual VXL is impressive, you asked about ways to make your truck better for racing. This would be one of them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    ok cool I'll look into that servo, thank you. I totally agree that for racing the Mamba and Tekin stuff is way better. the VXLs have no tuning options at all, its either on or off haha. if I sold both systems I'd probably only get half way to the cost of one of those though. very appreciative of the advise though, keep it coming

RC Racer
    is it lighter than it was before

RC Competitor
    it used to have the brushed EVX2 setup. the dual vxls weigh about the same.