RC poster

New slash 4x4 owner w a couple problems

Hey everybody, hope you can help a new guy out. First off, this truck is RAD! Buddy of mine got me into it a couple months ago and I've been having a blast w it ever since. Couple problems today. Biggest one is I think the esc went out. Big bash session yesterday and the truck ran great all day. Took it out today and the 1st battery was fine. Was doing some jumping and had to switch out a part (post that holds the body on is all). Fired it back up after that and it was running like the lipo was ready to be changed (still 1st battery) so I shut it off, put in a new lipo and truck was running like it was in training mode (1/2 speed at wot). Brought it back over, made sure it wasn't in training mode, fired it back up and then no throttle response at all. Steering works, but no go. Have an extra motor since my buddy fried his a while back and I didn't want to be without a backup. Plugged that motor in and still no juice to the motor. Took my buddy's truck and plugged my motor into his esc and had him hit his throttle...my truck came to life and wheels started spinning. So, that's why I'm thinking I need a new esc. Read a couple older posts on the topic and my solid green light on the esc doesn't blink when I hit the throttle. Using 2c lipos and it's in low voltage mode.

2nd issue which I don't think is related is I installed a KH aluminum motor mount and have fried both bearings that came w it in one session each. So, looking for a recommendation on a tougher bearing for it.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by LB; 05-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    What bearing adapter are you running? Plastic or aluminum? Not many folks go through a single bearing running the KH let alone two bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Is there a bearing adapter for the ctr diff?! Cuz I fried my KH bearing too. No extra parts came with the ctr diff that comes with the Ultimate? I just put the ctr diff in as is?

RC poster
    Aluminum w the slipper clutch.

I should also post an update on the esc issue. I got out the manual last night and rebound the transmitter. Then I re-calibrated the esc and transmitter and the motor came back to life. Can't check to see if the 1/2 speed at wot issue is fixed until I get a new motor mount bearing. But good news is I have the day off and the lhs opens soon! I'll post the results.

If it is fixed any idea why the glitch? Last jump before the problems started I came off the launch ramp and over braked in the air causing my truck to land on it's roof. Not the first time and not the last I'm sure!

RC Champion
    Boca or Avid ceramic bearings have neen very good for me, slipper has spacer, centre diff does not. sounds like a esc issue

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I would call Traxxas about it! They are very helpful and will probably just ship you a new one...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=LB;5179895]2nd issue which I don't think is related is I installed a KH aluminum motor mount and have fried both bearings that came w it in one session each. So, looking for a recommendation on a tougher bearing for it.
    QUOTE]
    In each instance when you fried a bearing what battery were you running? Upon inspection of the KH bearing did it fully disentigrate and let loose of the bearings? I am thinking that your bearing failure is due to excessive heat transfer. I hightly recommend packing the new bearing with automotive axel grease if you are running 3s lipos etc. as going through two of the KH bearings is very rare.

RC Competitor
    If the truck is going into low voltage then check the cells in the lipo to see if one of them is un balanced, because thats what happened to ALL of my lipos.
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

RC poster
    Couple updates on my problems. Esc is fried. Called traxxas and they are going to replace it free of charge. Took the truck out today since esc would work intermittently to do a little bashing. Seized 2 boca motor mount bearings in the course of running 2 batteries! Just 2c 5000 lipos. To top off the day the motor bearing toward the rear of the truck disintegrated and the motor is now gone. Called traxxas on the way home and they said send it in w the esc and they'll replace it too. So far traxxas customer service has been great and I am happy they are taking care of the esc and motor, but I'm getting frustrated with the bearing issue. Stopped by the lhs on the way home too and they suggested putting the stock motor mount back in and see if the problem persists. They also said they have never seen this happen before, but I had been saving the bearings as I replaced them and showed them my increasing collection. Motor mount bearings are not coming apart, just seizing up and won't turn. They are stumped. 1/2 way through the rebuild and calling it a night. I'll post an update once I get it back together. I ordered an esc from eBay so I can run while I wait for the traxxas replacement. I packed the stock bearing that's going back in w grease as suggested. Thanks for the ideas!

RC Qualifier
    You are having bigger issues than having bad bearings, there is something else going on to cause that. I've beat the snot out of my 4x4 with the mamba 2200 system on 4s for months now with the original Yeah Racing motor mount bearings.
    2x 2wd Slash|Slash 4x4 PE|MM E-Revo|Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    sounds like esc burnt due to overheating from usein lipos i had this same problem u mainly got 2 options send the esc into traxxas and wait to get it back ive been waiting over a month on one..... or upgrade and with the mount i have no idea sorry