RC Champion

Turning Radius Mod

This forum seemed to be the best place to put this mod. But if the Admin's feel different, then by all means please move it to a more appropriate one.

Yesterday I was adjusting my steering linkage and checking out my servos when I stumbled upon the possibility that one could gain more turning radius.

I'm not talking about programing the servo end points, I've already done that and still my E Maxx turning is a little less than desired. Setting the max end points still leaves almost a 1/4" the the tires could turn before hitting the turnbuckle (at least with my current tires, other tires might leave more or less room to play with).

My video production skills need to be honed… A LOT! I'm not the best at this at all. Also my technical equipment isn't up to par. But hey, I think I got the point across.

I think all in all this would take about 15 minutes to do. It took me longer because I did some investigating before I did the actual mod.

If this has already been done and it's old info, I apologies up front. I did some searching on it and couldn't find anything.

So enough of the chatting and on with the show…

RC Competitor
    Normally to get more steering throw you'd move the steering arm linkage on the hub closer to the pivot point, or make the servo arms longer. Takes about 5 minutes. Whilst what you've done is clever, I'll give you that, traxxas do it on purpose and then give you the end point adjustment feature to go that extra bit. If you now set your end points for 120% travel, one of two things will result: 1. the last 20% movement of the wheel would do nothing, or 2. you may over drive the servo.

RC Champion
    Harley,

With the right frequency and not attached to any horn, the servo will endlessly turn 360° so there is harm in over driving a servo.

I had already maxed out the programmable end points of the servo's via the radio.

There was still a small degree of usable turning radius that the physical plastic stops on the body of the radio will not let you use (as I demonstrated in the beginning of the video).

Please illustrate what you are talking about when you say "move the steering arm linkage on the hub closer to the pivot point, or make the servo arms longer." Because I'm not aware of any adjustments you your are referring to on the E Maxx. There is very little room to make up a longer servo horn before the linkage will jam up against the chassis brace. And a longer bellcrank will rub and jam against the bulkheads.

RC Champion
    An easy way to tell if your getting full throw from the radio:
    Go to your steering end point adjustment on the radio menu, and turn your wheel full left or full right. Press the "set" button. If you're not getting full steering throw, the new end point will make your wheels suddenly move, as they now have a new end point (not 100%...) If the wheel doesn't move, you've got full (100%) throw from the radio.

I had to adjust the steering on two of my LINK radios to get full throw from the radio.
    P.S. This is not setting the radio to give 120% travel. It's just changing it to get 100% travel (instead of the limited 80-90% travel that some of them have because of a physical defect)
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!