RC Champion

The Great Aluminum Shock Tower Debate

I've got RPM shock towers now and I love them. But lets just say for debates sack that I was maybe thinking about getting some aluminum ones

FLM are priced nice and have a seemingly endless amount of mounting options

But GH towers look like they could hold up to a tactical nuke

Both companies say that the "CNC" their parts. FLM states they use 6061 billet aluminum. I couldn't find anything on GH's aluminum.

Also bare in mind that at some point I'm going with aluminum bulkheads, probably FLM.

Any other good aluminum towers out there?

RC Qualifier
    I can pretty much guarantee the GH towers are 6061-t6 aluminum. I'm not sure if I found the shock tower you're talking about the golden horizon shock tower I looked up looks like the stock tower but made of aluminum, I think the FLM looks pretty thick.
    I like turtles.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Meebert View Post
    the golden horizon shock tower I looked up looks like the stock tower but made of aluminum
    Yep, that would be the one I was looking at too.

@30 each for the GH I would go with the FLM @$24, the FLM also gives you the ability to use tougher buggy shocks in the future without having to buy another set of shock towers.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    Very good point Wildman.

FLM just pulled ahead in this debate for price and flexibility.

RC Champion
    Love my flm towers . Tough as nails . I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.

UE Knucklehead towers would be a better choice IMO. The only draw back is you have to use the round body posts.

Billet T6-7075 and only $35.00 a pair. ($10.00 flat rate shipping on all orders though)
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    It's hard to beat the Knuckleheads but one thing I like about the FLM towers is that the HB wing mount is a direct bolt on without the need for a additional clamp style mount.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Champion
    Ok so UE Knucklehead just entered the debate. Although somewhat pricey they sound like they might be worth every penny.

Any new contenders want to enter the debate?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny5c View Post
    It's hard to beat the Knuckleheads but one thing I like about the FLM towers is that the HB wing mount is a direct bolt on without the need for a additional clamp style mount.
    What is the part # for that HB wing? I am using a mugen mbx5 wing and staves now.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrocker View Post
    What is the part # for that HB wing? I am using a mugen mbx5 wing and staves now.
    Don't remember the PN, ordered one for a Lightning ST from my LHS. You'll also need four M3 nuts with washers and four 3x15mm screws.
    Revo.27TX/Jato.18/Maxx523/Maxx3.3/GMAXX/Rusty/ERBE

RC Champion
    Knuckleheads and FLM towers are superior to GH IMO. I have never seen a bent knucklehead but I have personally bent a FLM tower. Both are great. The wing stay holes are great, and both are very adjustable.

Note You must use aluminum bulks with aluminum towers.
    15" WB HCR Mutant-Maxx Castle UE FLM 3906

RC Champion
    If you get aluminum towers, aluminum bulks are really a must. Anytime you roll your going to kill the body mounts and then ur on the towers, and the top part of the stock bulks isnt that tough.

I would go with FLM because of the mounting positions, and they also have a really good warrenty
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    I think when the time comes I'm gonna get the FLM Ultimate Hybrid bulkhead/diff combo and go with the UE Knucklehead towers. This is a ways down the road though.

RC Champion
    Is UE part #10102 the correct one? Do you need one or two? I'm sorry but the UE website is either extremly unhelpful or I'm just clueless.

Do UE supershocks work with RPM upper A-Arms?

RC Racer
    thats the kit I ordered and it came with 2 towers + all the standoffs etc and 4 carbon body posts

RC Champion
    Part # 10102? thats pretty good for $34.

Can you use the extended buggy shocks with them (are they as tall as the FLM ones)? Do they mount right to the stock bulks?