Thread: How fast?

RC Racer

How fast?

Hey i was looking into a brushed e-maxx. I was wondering how fast i could get it up to? stock but with 2s lipos and different gearing? and without the esc and motors being too hot.

RC Champion
    It's advertised to go 30+ with the right gearing. I think I clocked mine at around 20mph with stock pinion and spur.

RC Qualifier
    It feels pretty darn quick when new, but over the past 7 months the motors lack that punch off the line, just as they did when I got my 3906 in 2003. Still a solid truck though. The ESC and motors stay very cool, batteries warm even flat out across grass for a whole set of packs.

If you overvolt the stock ESC with LiPos, you should run a LVC and watch temps. You could move up a tooth on the pinions with the smaller spur included in the RTR but I wouldn't push it. 35 is probably tops with the EVX2 and 550 Titans if you're interested in longevity.

RC Racer
    okay thanks!

RC Champion
    IF you mean 2x 2s lipo, then ya, brand new titans will get you around 25-30.

Your driving style reflects motor temps. If you accelerate and brake gently, then ur good with higher gearing. IF you floor it and pop wheelies, ect, they will be hotter.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering this same thing just the other day. After searching and some reading. Correct me if I am wrong. The main advantage to Lipo's is going to be, judges?? Answer: Battery performance. The punch will be there until the end, unlike NmHi... Brushed motors are, brushed motors. Unlike, BL, performance will change when using 2s vs 4s or, man in they sky forbid, 6s.

Long and short. If you plan on sticking with brushed = expensive upgrade (don't forget the charger, etc.). If you plan to go BL in the future = Lipo's will be necessary at some point. IMO, If you are see yourself buying Lipo's before motors, ESC, then go ahead and get em! I know I will be jealous at least for the next 3 months. Stupid budget...
    Mini Revo VXL 7107
    E-Maxx 3903 - He Lives!

RC Qualifier
    That's actually one of my concerns. I have been eyeing the RX-8 system but figure, at some point, they'll sap the performance out of my NiMH packs and I'll need to drop another $200 on batteries. The few times I've run LiPos I've been surprised how consistent they are from start to finish, but they do cost a pretty penny.

RC Champion
    Ya especially lipos worthy enough to hold a Tekin system. I love my lipo and its addicting, I have a hard time going back to nimh for anything other than trail (were the truck cant be going much faster than I am).

Midrange lipos dont cost that much more than good quality NIMH, at about $50/2s lipo but thats still alot when you get a good charger.

RC Racer
    Also there are spc lipos the 2s lipo 5000mah is 30 bucks

RC Champion
    Ya, and SPC is a really good brand.

I asked this on another thread, but does anyone know the power draw on a Thunder AC6? the internal converter on mine puked out