RC Qualifier

A Rescue Rig is good, but be aware!!!

Hello fellow SpartanOwners, I just want to share my bad experience. Yesterday I went out to play with my boat to try those new upgrades, twin pick-up rudder with twin outlet and x442 props., switch on xmiter switch on esc everything working good, so I put the Spartan onto the water and didn't realized that the rudder goes in the wrong way, if you turn knOb to left the rudder turn right same thing on the other side, it didn't bother because I could manage to control it that way, until such time the servo wont work anymore and it was stock in a sideway position, so the boat is stock in the middle making a donut in the water.
    This is the time for my rescue boat, while getting closer to the Spartan, I didn't realize that going to be out of range, Which have two channel fm xmiter, I try my luck to put back my Spartan to the shore and luckily did it by accelerating slowly, as time goes by the wind blows harder 20mph, pushing my rescue boat away frOm the shore and followed with a hard rain, OH Well! I have no choice but to say farewell to my rescue boat.
    Lesson 1 : Never use a short range transmitter.
    Lesson 2 : Check your component properly before going to the water.
    Lesson 3 : Avoid strong wind if possible.

RC Qualifier
    I bought another boat with 2200kv brushless motor with a 2.4ghz xmiter, I will start to built it tomorrow.

RC Competitor
    What hull were you running as a rescue boat? Also getting a brushless setup for a rescue is overkill..... My rescue boat is a stock blast running an xl-5 and a titan 12t motor with a 7 cell and it can push my 62LBS boat back to shore with no problems...

Also hopefully you will learn to always check all the functions of your boat before putting it in the water

RC Enthusiast
    67mustang.... could you show us what a 62 lbs looks like...

RC Racer
    My rescue rig has had plenty of work as I have three other boats. While it's never pushed a 62-pound boat, it has rescued my HEAVY 52" gas boat many times! It is the $90 Tower Hobbies cheapo boat, with a Traxxas brushed-type ESC from an old Stampede. I made the frame from $8 worth of PVC tubing. It runs PERFECTLY, and has been bullet proof!

RC Competitor
    Bsc that is exactly how I have my rescue setup, however the gap between the pvc is much bigger

RC Enthusiast
    Holy crap that's bad... what does it have for power. Makes my Spartan look like a child's toy.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-18-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: language

RC Competitor
    Twin 80cc engines, 48 total horsepower. Also it weighs much more then 62lbs, I was thinking of another one of my boats that I run.
    Last edited by 67Mustang; 05-17-2012 at 11:50 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Dang.. thats really cool. Did you build it. There is a company in Indy where I live that makes an 84" boat. Bonzisports.com
    I really like the large scale Rc boat scene.

RC Competitor
    Yes I built it. Also funny coincidence you bring up Bonzi, The 62lb boat that I was talking about is my 84 apache from them, with quad quickdraws.
    The large boat scene is great, like you said earlier once you own a big 2-stroke gasser, its always a dissapointment going back to an electric. But don't get me wrong, there is definately a time and a place where electrics like the spartan are unbeatable.

RC Racer
    It's hard to find places to run my gas boat as it is loud and obnoxious to the "overly sensitive" people (many who fish) who share my local waterways. The electric boats are more public friendly. Five of my local lakes ban gas-powered boats of any size, but allow electric.

Also, for my rescue rig, I swapped out the plastic prop for a larger metal prop with less pitch (for more torque). Run Traxxas 7-cell NIMH batteries in it. Rescue rigs need TORQUE, not speed, so brushless is not the answer--high torque brushed is the way to go.

67Mustang, that's AWESOME! How long is that one? It looks like that kid could ride it!
    Last edited by BSC; 05-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    Bsc that is exactly how I have my rescue setup, however the gap between the pvc is much bigger
    Now .... that is what I call a rc boat....LOL
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Ive seen the price of the 84˝ so good for you. Ive talked to Dennis there at Bonzi. Really nice guy. How does your run on 4's. Are they easy to tune?

RC Competitor
    Thanks.
    She is 96inches long, and I could give a grown man a ride in it lol, right now it is 101lbs. Also yes gas boats, alot of the time you have to make a full day commitment to run them, not many places allow them. I do most of my running offshore on my own and friends full size boats, however I go to my local lake every once in a while, going offshore is a full day comittment unlike shooting down to the lake..

@mrproc1 The twin inlines are easy for me, however I would no means recomend it to someone who is new to 2-strokes, I have been running the 2-strokes for years. Yes Bonzi is a great company, for my boats that run Zenoah's and quickdraws I order from them, they are a very good company, and Dan Hoffman is a great guy. However my 96inch boat (one in the picture) has all of it's hardware shipped from Mhz, and the engines are nothing like Zenoah's.
    If you're looking at getting started in Gas rc boats, get a basic boat like the bonzi fountain, then build your own gas boat. It really isn't hard, boat's are easy to build, no dealing with things like transmissions like on cars, as you look more into the gas boats, you will find 90% of them are custom builds.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Mustang View Post
    What hull were you running as a rescue boat? Also getting a brushless setup for a rescue is overkill..... My rescue boat is a stock blast running an xl-5 and a titan 12t motor with a 7 cell and it can push my 62LBS boat back to shore with no problems...

Also hopefully you will learn to always check all the functions of your boat before putting it in the water
    The hull is a mini Catamaran 15' long with twin motor 27mhz xmiter, I don't know what kind of motor inside, because the hull is sealed and only the battery you could put on top of it. It was my son's toy, luckily His not wIth me when I lost the Boat ! I bought the mini mono as a replacement.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.