RC Competitor

What do you do to waterproof?

What kind of tape do you guys use to tape the hatch? I saw where someone had put weatherstripping material around the hatch opening on the hull, does anyone use that? If so where can I get the small stuff, or is it just hobby grade? Sorry about all the questions, just got my Spartan about 2 weeks ago and have been resisting the urge to run it before waterproofing a little. I'm planning on putting silicone in the vent tabs to keep the water out there, any other useful tips? Any help is appreciated by this newbie! Thanks in advance!

RC Competitor
    hi i found the water jacket is the biggest problem for water getting in i change it over now and no water gets in i never put tape on lid did put window seal around the hatch and lid but iv since took it off and still no water so change motor water jacket over with a aluminium one.

RC Competitor
    any certain one? kintec, ose, changemaker/benchmark rc? pm me if this will pose a violation of the forum rules.

RC Qualifier
    Kintec has the best price and the jacket is aluminum with o-ring seals. The only reason I tape the hatch down in the front is to keep it on the boat during a bad crash. I use pro gaffers tape which is a lot like medical tape. This tape adheres very well yet comes off easily and will not leave any tape residue. I just purchased another roll on e-bay.

RC Qualifier
    I agree that upgrading the water jacket will eliminate one potential source of leaking.

I also tape the hatch on all my boats before running. I use clear hockey tape, but clear (or colored) electrical tape will also work.

I put weatherstripping on my SV27's and it helps but I still tape the hatches because I find the tape seals better.

hog

RC Competitor
    thanks guys! i've gotten the cooling jacket in, upgraded to a through hull fitting for the rudder to esc cooling line, and installed larger cooling line. gonna hit the lake this weekend with some electrical tape, tape it up, and see what she does!

RC Champion
    Just in case a large amount of water does get in the hull ( for some unforseen reason LOL) remember to put a good amount of silicone grease on the receiver box, around the blue gasket and black foam where the wires enter the receiver box.

And good luck and have a good time at the lake....
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I ordered some "hockey tape" style hatch tape from Kintec. It can be reused if it gets wet, and its super strong!

RC poster
    Where did you get the through hull fitting? And what size?
    Thanks

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by THENAPE View Post
    Where did you get the through hull fitting? And what size?
    Thanks
    kintec racing, scroll down about 3/4 way down the page and they're called transom fittings. i got the one with the 1/8 inside diameter, but you will have to drill it out a little, or you can use the standard size. not sure if the standard size fits the stock hole or not either though http://kintecracing.com/Water_Cooling_BQFJ.html
    Last edited by comin4u; 06-05-2012 at 03:29 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for he info and link